#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:51 AM

Hi all.  I'm looking to buy a fuel filter to run between the pump (mechanical) and the carby.  From my research I'm leaning toward a 30 micron filter from EFI Solutions. Unfortunately I can't copy the web page but here are some pics.  I also like the pleated stainless steel reusable filter as opposed to some of the other cheaper ones I have seen. I'm talking about a carby system with stroked 308 but will only be a cruiser.  Fuel lines are 3/8".  I also want to use this type of design as it will sit well running in the manifold valley.  One thing I don't understand (my lack of knowledge) is whether or not the -8AN in/out is suitable.  I would fit barb fittings to it to suit the 3/8" lines.  I will also run a larger filter between the tank and the pump but not sure what yet as not sure where i will mount it.

Does this sound reasonable/suitable for what i am trying to achieve and/or what other considerations I should think about.  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:52 AM

The Quadrajet has a filter built into the carby. 

#3 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for that Brad.  Should have mentioned i already have the carby.  A Holley Avenger. Cheers Ron

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

30 micron is starting to get quite fine for a carb but not excessively so, as long as your pump works well it should be OK. It is oversized (-8 is generally 1/2" hose, -6 is 3/8"), this might be a problem if you want off the shelf fittings and don't want a hideous mess of reducers.

#5 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for that.  The fitting size is something I wasn't sure of.  I don't see that they make that style in -6 unfortunately.  Would a -8 male fitting with 3/8" barb be an uncommon fitting? Cheers Ron

#6 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:58 AM

Heaps of brands make those exact filter just in different colours and brands machined in. Should work ok. From what I've seen they are all -8 which is no prob. Speedflow and plenty of others should do the fittings you need quite neatly.

#7 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:13 PM

Thanks Toranamat.  Surprisingly that size fitting isn't as readily available as thought, or I didn't look properly.  Aeromotive have one that is -8ORB to 3/8" Push On Barb Black AF414-08-06. Proflow also have one with multiply barbs but very limited stock around. Now, and this might sound dumb, but I presume that -8 is the same size/reference fitting to 8AN fitting?

There are plenty of 6AN filters around in the style I want but the elements in them aren't as good as far as I can see. Anyway unless I have missed something I'm going to run with the above filter and the Aeromotive fittings.  Thanks again.  Cheers Ron 

Edited by Cook, 31 March 2020 - 04:13 PM.

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:09 PM

Yes -8 (or dash 8) means the same as 8AN.

The fitting size is a bit oddball as above because the "normal" hose size for that thread/seat is 1/2" not 3/8", but with a bit of luck you can find something (they're not hard to spin up on the lathe). That part number (appears to be Aeroflow brand) will suit the thread but its a strange one as it has an o-ring seal rather than using the AN tapered seat - not an issue with low pressure just check the filter body will seal against the o-ring.

#9 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence 76lxhatch that firstly I own a lathe and secondly I have some idea how to use one lol.  Sorry you're right it is Aeroflow not Aeromotive as I said.  Yeah the oddball size is why I guess there aren't a lot around.  I can only assume they make them for idiots like me that want to try and mix/match things that wouldn't normally be done. I understand about the seating and I guess the big thing is to ensure the fitting doesn't bottom out on the filter element before the o ring engages fully with the body.  I was also going to seal the thread with some liquid tape (carefully) to assist the sealing.  Wish me luck.  I also have another potential issue but I 'm going to punt it but might post up a pic when I get a minute so you can understand what I'm going to try and do.  Cheers Ron   

#10 LHEFI

LHEFI

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

Raceworks do the fitting https://www.racework...ort-an-to-barb/

#11 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

Well I'll be LHEFI.  I didn't see that and I had been looking at Raceworks for the filter.  Too much searching and all just merging into each other lol.  And they are a bit cheaper than the others.  Cheers Ron 

#12 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:20 AM

I understand about the seating and I guess the big thing is to ensure the fitting doesn't bottom out on the filter element before the o ring engages fully with the body.  I was also going to seal the thread with some liquid tape (carefully) to assist the sealing.

I doubt the thread will bottom, it should be fine without any tape/sealant too I just can't quite see the end of the filter housing in the pic to be certain there's a spot for the o-ring, there probably is since its all machined.

#13 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:49 AM

Yeah it says that it has 8AN ORB in and out so I read that as being it is made for them.  I've ordered them so we shall see what arrives lol.  Cheers Ron

#14 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:18 AM

Hi Cook 

Used the same filter set up on mine -8 

Flex 3/8 hose inlet and 3/8 hardpipe out feeding the carby 

Used this fitting on both in and outlets - https://www.ebay.com...ASABEgJitvD_BwE

All neat and tidy

#15 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:26 AM

Haha, "ORB" - I missed that completely, of course they will fit

#16 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Dave.  That was suggested to me as an adapter but I wanted to minimise fittings and I'm only running rubber and hard lines.  Less fittings less chance of leaks me thinks. Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users