lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Name:paul
  • Car:LC 2 door, HR prem wagon

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:54 PM

Greetings forum members, hope everyone is staying healthy and safe in this current environment! Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me (sorry about the pun) with wiring up an LJ torana project I am working on. The car was originally an LC which I am turning into an LJ and had an old wiring loom lying in the boot which I have grafted onto a GTR instrument panel. Everything works fine except when I put headlights on, parkers work as well. I followed a wiring diagram from an old LC manual I have and was wondering if any diff between LC/ LJ looms? Also did LC's have clear front indicator lens/s and LJ orange. I heard somewhere that you cannot have orange parkers on the front which means did LJ's have parkers built into headlights and orange indicators (I think both LC/LJare sealed beams which wouldn't make sense), then LC had clear indicators/parkers below headlights. I presume LC/LJ lights switches are the same?? any help would be greatly appreciated, I have retraced wiring colours ect several times and tried numerous different wiring combinations without succes. Im just thinking may not pass roadworthy if parkers come on everytime headlights are on. Please disregard wiring colours in photos as I had to extend some to reach lhs of car (green and purple go to indicator) two black wires come from headlight, other two black wires are earth.. Cheers and thanks paul.

Attached Files

• Attached File  658.JPG   138.55K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  659.JPG   180.09K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  660.JPG   144.64K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  661.JPG   168.59K   3 downloads

Edited by lctriples, 03 April 2020 - 07:56 PM.

#2 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:05 PM

Hi mate,
Your assumptions are on point I reckon.
I think Orange indicators were an ADR thing in late '72?.
And yes, there are mulitple versions of that wiring diagram, some have seperate parkers, others show the integrated headlight type parkers.
A guru will chime in with the finet details I reckon.

Edited by RallyRed, 03 April 2020 - 08:05 PM.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:17 PM

As Col has alluded to. LC and LJ up until early Dec 72 had clear indicator lenses with double filament bulbs for combined park lights and indicators. Two power wires to indicator housing.

Dec 72 onwards LJ had amber indicator lenses with single filament bulbs for indicator only and the park lights were relocated to the sealed beam headlamps via a a clear round window in the back of the lamp and a modified electrical connector that held the park light bulb in alignment with the clear window on the back of the headlamp. Single power wire to indicator housing.

Edited by S pack, 03 April 2020 - 08:20 PM.

#4 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:34 PM

Wow, thanks Rally Red. In the words of Austin Powers in Goldmember..."foook me, that was quick!". I have attached another two wiring diagrams, one Max Ellery, the other Gregory's, all 3 are consistant with LB/DB/PUR wiring which I have followed. One thing I forgot to mention is that the indicator set that came with the car only had one wire, so I added a second wire to get parkers working. Is there such a thing as parkers built into headlights for such an old car?? Thanks again rally red, appreciate your quick response. S pack I thought about putting clear indicator lenses on, but still doesn't explain why parkers come on with headlights. With clear lenses do you use single filament orange coloured globes maybe?? I'm sure some will have a lightglobe moment as soon as they read this thread (See what lockdown, social distancing ect ect has done to us) Thanks also S pak.

Attached Files

• Attached File  662.JPG   126.55K   5 downloads
  • Attached File  663.JPG   183.01K   7 downloads

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Clear lenses use clear double filament bulbs. AFAIK it is illegal to have orange park lights. Simply swap your amber lenses for clear and you are good to go.

Amber lenses had clear single filament bulbs. That is how they left the factory.

The LC indicator & park lamp wiring and clear lenses is identical for LJ built up to early Dec 1972.

Edited by S pack, 03 April 2020 - 08:46 PM.

#6 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:56 PM

Thanks Dave, I thought you couldn't have orange parkers, which won't pass roadworthy, just wondering if headlights & parkers operating in tandem (the crux of my problem) would pass roady, even with clear indicator lenses. Just checked a few suppliers (E-bay/Rares/Kingswood Country) and looks like you can get 7' non-sealed beams with separate parkers which might be better as can replace globe/s when they blow rather than entire headlight, then run single indicator globes with either orange or white lenses, thanks again for help Paul.

Edited by lctriples, 03 April 2020 - 08:56 PM.

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:31 PM

Yes, you should be able to get QH 7" conversion headlights that accept a H4 (55w low beam/60w high beam) lamp and have a removable park lamp bulb below the H4 lamp.

Then you can have your amber indicators.

Park lamps should always be on when the headlamps are on, that is how they are designed to work. Therefore the way you have them currently wired and operating will pass roadworthy.

Just can't have amber lenses with your current set up.

Edited by S pack, 03 April 2020 - 09:34 PM.

#8 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:36 PM

Just fit a h4 light, run the indicator/parker, clear lenses & after the Roady, replace the h4 with a h4 style led, uses factory harness, much better light quality. To easy !

#9 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:45 PM

Way too easy Gaz!, cheers Paul

#10 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:57 AM

FYI..
This drawing is titled " L6 vehicles with Optional Assembly XU1".

Attached Files

#11 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:48 AM

Cheers Col, appreciate that! Seems consistant with other diagrams I have (dual filament indicator globes) am picking up come clear lenses this morning from rares.

Edited by lctriples, 04 April 2020 - 07:49 AM.

#12 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:04 AM

All Holdens built from HT & HBII onwards had the parkers stay on with the headlights. HK & earlier had the parkers off with the headlights on.

It was promoted as a safety feature at HT release.

Amber parkers are illegal. It's easy to just redirect the parking light wire to a new fixture behind the headlight, leave the double filament socket & globe & fit amber lenses if you want the 73 LJ look.

Dr Terry

#13 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 11:14 AM

Thanks Terry good to know that. Makes sense why parkers stay on, clear lenses it is I think.

#14 Orchid LJ

Orchid LJ

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LJ Coupe

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:11 PM

Hey Lctriples just having a read of this post mate a bit late but still may assist you or other members LED technology has helped me with this exact prob I personally prefer my LJ previously LC (not my doing) with the look of the clear indicator lenses but how do I get a white park light and a amber flashing globe when using indicators? answer = LED switchback globes so they work like this turn your headlights on both globes light up white as a park light now turn either indicator on and the white LEDS on the globe turn off and the amber LEDS on the globe turn on and flash as normal, when the indicator is turned off the globe switches back to the white LEDS. When the headlights are turned off the amber LEDS function as a normal indicator globe would. These globes require the dual power feed to the globe socket which the early LC LJ's have. Plenty on the net just search LED switchback BAY15D.     

#15 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Name:JASO
  • Car:4/73 LJ XU-1. Adelaide build, Sunburst. 1963 EH Premier. Brisbane build, Portsea Blue.
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:50 AM

Oooooooh,switch backs, sound like they may be good on my EH :).

#16 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:41 PM

Hey Tony, great little tip, you wouldn't believe it, but am going through similar process with instrument/dash lights (converting from 50year old technology to 2021 LED technology!)

#17 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:07 PM

Oooooooh,switch backs, sound like they may be good on my EH :).

They sound like a good idea for any car of this era with a combined front blinker/parker combo.

One thing to remember though, while they did screw straight in, the wiring needs the addition of a resistor to keep the blinkers at the correct rate. The other way to fix this problem is to fit an electronic blinker can designed for LED globes.

Dr Terry

#18 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Car:4/73 LJ XU-1. Adelaide build, Sunburst. 1963 EH Premier. Brisbane build, Portsea Blue.
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:45 PM

They sound like a good idea for any car of this era with a combined front blinker/parker combo.

One thing to remember though, while they did screw straight in, the wiring needs the addition of a resistor to keep the blinkers at the correct rate. The other way to fix this problem is to fit an electronic blinker can designed for LED globes.

Dr Terry

Yep, was thinking that same thing when i was commenting above.
Not real keen on my indicators having a 1000 beats per minute rate of knots. :)

#19 Orchid LJ

Orchid LJ

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:41 PM

Hey Tony, great little tip, you wouldn't believe it, but am going through similar process with instrument/dash lights (converting from 50year old technology to 2021 LED technology!)

Hey Paul its worth the effort mate they look sweet converted I ended up doing my whole car, Dr Terry and Jaso you are correct guys you do need the electronic flasher to make them blink at the correct speed took a fair bit of hunting to find one that clicks when blinking most of them are silent when blinking which is very off putting. It cost around $30 from memory for those interested.  

Edited by Orchid LJ, 05 August 2021 - 06:45 PM.

#20 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:12 PM

Hey Paul its worth the effort mate they look sweet converted I ended up doing my whole car, Dr Terry and Jaso you are correct guys you do need the electronic flasher to make them blink at the correct speed took a fair bit of hunting to find one that clicks when blinking most of them are silent when blinking which is very off putting. It cost around $30 from memory for those interested.

Hi Tony, do you have a part number or image of the clicky flasher-can you purchased to suit the LED indicator?

#21 Orchid LJ

Orchid LJ

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:52 PM

Hi Tony, do you have a part number or image of the clicky flasher-can you purchased to suit the LED indicator?

Hey Jaso sorry for the slow reply mate I purchased the LED Indicator relay from Classic Car LEDS in the UK just type it in Google and when on their website put this number in the search field

" 12VFL2N "  price was £21 delivered.

#22 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 12 August 2021 - 10:27 PM

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/
This guy in Adelaide has a good range of stuff