74LH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Name:Daniel Hughes
  • Car:1974 LH S

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:11 PM

Thought I would revisit this one to see what everyone's opinion is, if I were to go away from banjo and trutrac (which I am considering given the doubts I have about the crown and pin wheel durability) what would be the best solution into my LH?

Engine is 355 into built trimatic (somewhere around 450hp according to engine builder) so needs to be able to handle that kind of output. I want ratio around 3.08 or similar, LSD, and to retain the current wheels I have (which are torana pattern) brakes I'm not too fussed on.

Which way would you all go? 

#27 Ando

Ando

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:31 PM

Danial, a Borg Warner is probably your best bet if you don't want to go with a 9 inch with your 450 hp output. I have heard of the modified Banjo behind power outputs similar to yours but I reckon you would have to use a sympathetic style of driving for feeding the power on.

I just bought the Banjo Truetrac & 28 spline axles from SCW. It's for my 308 trimatic ss hatch. The motor should potentially produce 300-320 hp so the bango diff wont be a problem for my cruiser style driving with this car.

My other car, I went with the Truetrac 31 spline 9 inch to handle the 530 hp stroked 308 manual TKO 600. I thought the Borg Warner might of been pushed to it's limit if I gave it a boot-full.

Cheers 

#28 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:41 PM

9”, 3.25 gears, Tru trac, 28 or 31 spline axles and HQ-WB backing plates. Just buy new drums and redrill them for your 4.25” PCD. You could use HK-HG backing plates but new drums are scarce, they are the same drums as HQ-WB just with smaller centre bore and different stud pattern. Will be as cheap as most other options using new parts.
The only killer might be the centre bore size on your wheels.

#29 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:25 AM

BorgWarner they are lighter than a 9".

#30 74LH

74LH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:13 AM

So I reckon from the research I've done, a r31 skyline diff will be the way to go.
Do have another question out of ignorance (mainly because clearly diffs aren't my area of expertise) I currently have wheels which I love (15 x 7in) which are in torana stud pattern. With the skyline diff, can I buy blank axles that I can change to torana stud pattern? Obviously ill need to account for fitting brakes as the skyline diff will have discs, but I think the 15x7s should have clearance.

Side note, will be doing the skyline brake caliper conversion on the front as well (hq stub axles etc) as I'm confident the wheels have clearance, are there ways to get the fronts to remain torana stud pattern as well?

Basically looking to upgrade brakes and diff and really don't want to spend another $2k in wheels if I dont have to haha

#31 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,766 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:43 AM

Plenty of custom axles around, you can weld and re-drill the Skyline ones if done properly but I gather that is frowned upon now. Your biggest concern will be having a small enough centre spigot, you may have to pay a little extra to have it turned down. The Skyline brakes fit under 14" wheels no worries so should be good there.

#32 74LH

74LH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

The more and more I look into this, and the associated costs. It seems a new 9 inch is probably going to cost around the same and last me that much longer. I did find through a bit of a search a group in dandenong called Diff King, anyone used them? They do 9 inch diffs to suit torana that look perfect for what I'm looking to do.

Any other diff shops that do similar work people can recommend in melbourne? Key parts are trutrac, 31 spline, billet axles (torana stud pattern), disc brakes. Ratio either 3.08 or 3.55 or similar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users