#1 marko1au

marko1au

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Car:LX sadan

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:47 PM

Hi, im in the middle of rewireing an lx torana using a 22 circuit aftermarket loom ........ i think ive got my head around just about every thing (wont know until i hook up the battery to test the individual circuits) what i cant work out is how to wire in the hazards lights ....... the loom has a separate flasher for the 4 ways but does not show how to wire it up. do i just wire in a + feed from the flasher to all of the indicator wires ..????  im not convinced this is the way to go ....... any help would be appreciated thanks ...

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

Torana don’t got no hazard lights.

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:08 PM

Did the loom come with a wiring diagram?

Hazard lights generally require a special switch that bridges the left & right indicator circuits only when the 4-ways are activated, but the loom may have diodes in-line that do the same thing.

You may be able to use a later Holden/early Commodore coffee pot on your steering column that has the hazard switch built-in to the side of it, I just can't remember if they are a direct bolt-in swap or not?

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,079 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:08 PM

Not as easy on a Holden or Torana where the rear indicators are also the reverse lights. Easier with a WB or Commodore indicator mech in the column, but also means fitting some reversing lights which is easy today with small LED lights.

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:38 PM

Yeah as yel says the indicator switch is actually a mechanical combination switch. The original should allow the rear indicators to function as reverse lights when required, but overrides each side so they still function as indicators when switched on. WB and early Commodore hazard light switch disconnects the indicators when on.

Seems like a couple of relays with both on and off circuits might do the trick? You'd need two separate ones to avoid bridging the left and right indicators but you could feed the indicators when off, and hazards when on (which would disconnect the indicators)?

#6 marko1au

marko1au

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:32 PM

Bigfella237 .... the loom has no instructions for the hazard lights ........ but does supply a hazard flasher unit .( im assuming the loom makers dont think back far enough for vehicles that never had had hazards in the first place ..... yel327 ..... my reversing lights are separate from my indicators and im using ( i think ) hq washer/hi beam stalk ...... 76lxhatch ...... food for thought ......... twin relays ....... ill think on that one for a while .....

Thankyou all

#7 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:42 PM

Im sure I just used a few diodes and and a SPST switch to put hazards on my LX.

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:53 PM

Yeah thinking about it you'd need to separate all four (left and right as well as front and rear due to the reverse light setup) so you'd need either a couple of dual pole/dual throw relays or as fuzzypumper says you could achieve the same thing with a single relay and some suitable diodes, would need to be able to handle the current. It could be done with just a switch but doesn't give an easy way to disable the indicators, maybe not a big deal since you wouldn't normally switch both on at the same time.

But if you already have separate reverse lights you could either wire front and rears together to reduce the number of circuits, or just replace the combination switch with an early Commodore one which gives you the button on the column and all.

#9 marko1au

marko1au

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:08 PM

fuzzypumper......... do you remember what diodes you used please ........ and im assuming i need 4 ....

#10 lynslj

lynslj

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Name:paul
  • Car:72 lj & 78 uc hatch

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:44 PM

Torana don’t got no hazard lights.

hi i have got a uc hatch & it has hazard lights & lumbar support in the drivers seat probably not factory ? 

#11 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:37 PM

Yes 4 diodes , 1N5404 diodes i think as they are rated at 3 amps forward conducting.

Taking into  account the rear globes 21W + Dash light 3W, this equates to 2 amps for each indicator circuit,

even less for the front circuits  tat 1.75amps.

I put one on each indicator wire with the cathode towards the plug/globes side, dark green(N), light blue(J), dark blue(K) and yellow(M). 

I tapped off the back of the indicator plug on the loom side, not the stork wiring side so if I had to replace the indicator stalk switch in the future 

I wouldn't have to splice in the hazard switch again.

After the diodes I joined all the wires together and terminated them on the wiper of the switch.

Other side of switch went back to the purple(L) wire on the indicator plug (which leads to the flasher can),

in my case a Hella 3pin electronic flasher relay.

If you're still using a factory original 2pin flasher can , then they will probably flash slow.

If you use an illuminated switch then that will also flash with the indicators.

#12 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:39 PM

For my hazard light dode array I used these (was making sure they'd handle any power required)->

(Jaycar Link)

https://www.jaycar.c...-220-2/p/ZR1029

BR735.png

Made up a little board with four of them

Diodes%20Cropped.jpg

and placed it behind the dash

Diodes.jpg

#13 marko1au

marko1au

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:25 PM

fuzzypumper ........ i have decided to go with your idea and would like to thank everyone that had some input to this discussion  ........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users