MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:02 PM

Yes this topic has been flogged and I've read ther historical threads but they didn't resolve my query. I thought my 5/72 LJ XU1 radiator brackets and shroud were original and I know the core was replaced back in the 80's. Date code on top tank matches and blank shroud apparently also matches (no parts numbers etc) however I was looking today and just want to know whether the XU1's overflow pipe clip is specific to my car as the alternative was a thick bendable tab, but the weird bit is that on the opposing passenger side next to the battery I have the bendable tabs on the radiator bracket? is this bracket supposed to have these tabs on that side ?

Attached Files

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

The overflow pipe clips were std on all 6cyl torana radiators but they seem to go missing. My LJ was 7 years old when I bought it and those clips were missing. Those pressed out tabs on both side brackets are also std on all 6 cyl torana radiators.

Edited by S pack, 23 April 2020 - 06:53 PM.

#3 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:57 PM

So Dave are the pressed out tabs supposed to be on the battery side bracket of my radiator or is that side supposed to have nothing? also I heard only the XU1's had the pipe clips on the overflow pipe ?

#4 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:58 PM

Yes this topic has been flogged and I've read ther historical threads but they didn't resolve my query. I thought my 5/72 LJ XU1 radiator brackets and shroud were original and I know the core was replaced back in the 80's. Date code on top tank matches and blank shroud apparently also matches (no parts numbers etc) however I was looking today and just want to know whether the XU1's overflow pipe clip is specific to my car as the alternative was a thick bendable tab, but the weird bit is that on the opposing passenger side next to the battery I have the bendable tabs on the radiator bracket? is this bracket supposed to have these tabs on that side ?

The tabs on the frame for the radiator are NOT on LC 6cyl Radiators......but on LJ 

Cheers

Edited by crabba67, 23 April 2020 - 07:07 PM.

#5 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:44 PM

also I heard only the XU1's had the pipe clips on the overflow pipe ?

Who told you that?

#6 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:54 PM

Pretty much same radiator HD HR. They have the formed tabs holding the overflow pipe I’m pretty sure. Got half a dozen here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:38 PM

Also this is a LH 6cyl frame the sides where the tags are on the frame at the bottom is cut at 60 degree the LJ frame is at 90 degrees.

Cheers

Attached Files

#8 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 07:08 AM

Anthony the comment regarding the 'overflow hose clips' (as distinct from bend out tabs) being specific to XU1 was in a historical post from this forum I was reading posted a few years ago . You were heavily involved in that particular debate, but it was primarily focused on the shroud and whether the LJ XU1 shroud had part numbers stamped on them or not. I can't recall who mentioned the overflow clips but someone definitely posted that comment which wasn't disputed (or supported either) by anyone in that lengthy thread, that's why I was wanting to confirm it in this post. Seems it may not be the case and why would GMH make that distinction for such an insignificant part anyway. I 've read a lot of the old posts on this forum as they are incredibly informative and I'm new to this game so trying to school myself up as much as I can.

#9 xu1_lc

xu1_lc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 06:31 PM

My original radiator out of my 12 69 GTR

Attached Files

#10 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:16 AM

XU1_LC thanks for this. whats the other side look like if you don't mind? does it have the bendable tabs like mine or is it blank?

#11 xu1_lc

xu1_lc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:07 PM

XU1_LC thanks for this. whats the other side look like if you don't mind? does it have the bendable tabs like mine or is it blank?

Hi MFM

I have a few original LC radiators here and and none have the tabs only the push on clips

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#12 xu1_lc

xu1_lc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 01:50 PM

Found this one in the shed aswell L1 so must suit early 72 car

Attached Files

#13 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:59 PM

Found this one in the shed aswell L1 so must suit early 72 car

Both L1 and M1 first with 4 hole each side and tabs on both sides are for 1,2 and some 3rd month 72 xu1's LN radiators.

One more D2 with tabs on both sides

Attached Files

#14 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:08 PM

My LJ is a 12/73 GTR,which was fitted with an XU-1 style radiator with the non stamped fan guard when I bought it.

I've just had it reconditioned, and can see a J3 date code stamped in the top tank, and a metal plate soldered on the engine side of the radiator just below the filler cap with what looks like 51 and 22 stamped on it.

Would anyone know if this could have been the original radiator for my car? Too early probably, but has anyone seen a later dated XU-1/heavy duty radiator?

I know the last XU-1's were made around September 1973, I'm assuming the radiators would have been made a month or so before the car was completed as most other parts seem to be.

Also the radiator frame has the pressed out clips on both sides, but I also have the little press in clips to hold the overflow hose, should I fit them back on or just use the pressed out clips?

Last question, if a heavy duty radiator was fitted would it have come with a 13lb or 15lb cap? I have original ones of both types, not sure which one to go for.

Sorry about all the questions I'm trying to get my car back as original as possible as I can

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users