MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:03 PM

Had a very small hairline crack in my bottom radiator hose which just left a few drops on the stone tray everytime I drove it so had it fixed by a reputable radiator place. While I was there I purchased their own Glycol radiator coolant (5lts - green). I was already running the $80 genuine Holden red Glycol for a couple of years and Temp idled at half and over half at traffic lights by about 2mm, so when I replaced this with the new Gycol I didn't mix it I put the whole lot in which nearly fills then Torana, topped up with demineralised water but then the dam car started to run hotter? over half when running in this cool weather and a good 3mm past the 180f mark on the gauge? So drove car to the radiator place today and manager looked under bonnet and says its not running hot even though 10 miniutes of idling it was showing 3/4 hot on the temp gauge? Never did this with the GMH red Glycol. Anyone gort any idea whats going on?

#2 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:12 PM

Oh and I also checked my Thermostat this arvo. Its a 160f, so I went and bought a 170f thinking my 20 year old one might be stuffed which made it worse so put the 160f back in.

#3 FNQ

FNQ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name:Darryl
  • Car:lc

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:32 PM

Just a theory -   just thinking about your circumstances. 

the coolant in most radiators is water. Pause for effect.

It(water) is a good coolant but its boiling point can be raised by pressurising to say 13 or 14 lbs - ( trusty radiator cap)  and then some additives can also be put in to prevent rust / scale - raise the freezing temperature - good old alcohol (oops glycol) and also work as a type of surfactant to assist with the thermal exchange.

BUT all the goodies in the green /red stuff needs the proper amount of water to make best use. So maybe the ratios in your new brew are wrong- easy to test. Drop or siphon some out and blend in some more water

It could be a case of the factory OEM people really did know what they were talking about or it could be that the new you beaut stuff is really not much chop.  Hiope you solve this. cheers D

#4 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

Thanks FNQ. I thought about doing that just to see what happens. The Red Devil Gycol I used looks like good quality stuff i.e thick and dark green made in OZ. Its the viscosity of lite milk so guessing you could be right?

#5 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:58 PM

Just a theory -   just thinking about your circumstances. 

the coolant in most radiators is water. Pause for effect.

It(water) is a good coolant but its boiling point can be raised by pressurising to say 13 or 14 lbs - ( trusty radiator cap)  and then some additives can also be put in to prevent rust / scale - raise the freezing temperature - good old alcohol (oops glycol) and also work as a type of surfactant to assist with the thermal exchange.

BUT all the goodies in the green /red stuff needs the proper amount of water to make best use. So maybe the ratios in your new brew are wrong- easy to test. Drop or siphon some out and blend in some more water

It could be a case of the factory OEM people really did know what they were talking about or it could be that the new you beaut stuff is really not much chop.  Hiope you solve this. cheers D

Haha. Clever, but possibly too subtle.

#6 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:31 PM

Are you sure you got all the air out when you refilled? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:43 PM

Yes I thought about the air in the block so rang Red Devil owner who's my age and he says 6cylinder holdens never needed to worry about air in the blocks? Being distrustful as I am of most people's opinions,  I measured the water I drained out of the radiator and it was very much the same as I put in.

#8 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:22 PM

Had a very small hairline crack in my bottom radiator hose which just left a few drops on the stone tray everytime I drove it so had it fixed by a reputable radiator place. While I was there I purchased their own Glycol radiator coolant (5lts - green). I was already running the $80 genuine Holden red Glycol for a couple of years and Temp idled at half and over half at traffic lights by about 2mm, so when I replaced this with the new Gycol I didn't mix it I put the whole lot in which nearly fills then Torana, topped up with demineralised water but then the dam car started to run hotter? over half when running in this cool weather and a good 3mm past the 180f mark on the gauge? So drove car to the radiator place today and manager looked under bonnet and says its not running hot even though 10 miniutes of idling it was showing 3/4 hot on the temp gauge? Never did this with the GMH red Glycol. Anyone gort any idea whats going on?

You mean originally you were running the red holden coolant that suits all aluminum engines & radiators & not the green to suit a cast iron engine & copper core radiator ?

The 2 shouldn't be mixed, so do a system flush, before replacing.

Try some nulon one coolant, work out the total cooling system capacity if you drain the block. Coolant concentrate should be 50 / 50. So if you count 10 litres removed, add 5 litres of concentrate coolant & 5 litres of distilled water.

#9 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:11 PM

Gary I flushed the system out with tank water by shoving the garden hose into the heater hose till is ran clear out the bottom radiator hose. Blew it out with air then  refilled it. It didn't take much more than 5 litres? which is pretty well what came in the coolant bottle?

#10 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:43 PM

Why the coolant? I just run corrosion inhibitor. They took the good Castrol one off the market though so not sure if the others are as good.

#11 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:53 PM

Do you mean the tiny can (100ml???)

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:53 AM

Yes. I think it had Boron in it.

#13 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:22 PM

I agree that you don't need coolant in Qld but where do you buy just corrosion inhibitor only? Used to buy the small Castrol pop top cans (concentrate) in the 80's & 90's. The reason I used the GMH red inhibitor and paid a fortune for it ($90 - 5litres) is because I figured if it can protect aluminium blocks then there is no reason it couldn't protect cast iron/copper radiators as the core anti corrosion ingredients would have to be the same wouldn't they? (propylene Glycol) apart for the varied concentrations from manufacturer to manufacturer.

#14 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

I just use either Penrite or Nulon corrosion inhibitor now.

https://www.superche...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#15 FNQ

FNQ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name:Darryl
  • Car:lc

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:56 PM

Apart from changing the coolant, nothing else was changed, except that you cleaned out the heater matrix. I know it ran clear but maybe some junk has been dislodged there.? I am not convinced that changing the coolant causes approx 10 degrees of difference.(say 160 to 170)  Only other thing worth trying is take out the temp sensor and give it a good clean -or try another? 

#16 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:54 PM

I ended up replacing the 160f thermostat and drilled a pencil size hole in it now it runs perfect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users