Head Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _VH STRAIGHT 6_

_VH STRAIGHT 6_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:49 AM

I have a VH Commy with a 3.3 blue motor. I'm in Perth, WA and looking to get some work done to the head. Porting, cam, valves, possibly roller rockers and have not yet decided if i'm going hi-stall. Its a trimatic box.

Currently have extractors, and a WEBER 38 dbbl carby. I have a 2.5 'xaust and a 2.25" sitting there.

I would like suggestions on who in Perth is the brains authority on the old holden blue 12 port head?

I see a lot of guys working red motors but not a lot of blues, I have a spare engine that is a red block with a blue head, would i be better off using that or my blue block? also if I use the red block, should I just get a worked red head as they are more readily available? Or will my extractors and intake not fit?  I have read ol jonnos paper on the subject but its a bit technical for my level of knowledge at this stage.

I appreciate any input!

#2 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:12 PM

Blue block, high comp blue head or VK head would be easiest.

This is a good read - http://www.gmh-toran...-blue-33-build/

#3 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:15 PM

The extractors and intake won’t fit red, and you’ll get more value getting your blue head ported, leaving the valve train as is. Although red heads can be worked to provide as much or better flow than blue, the blue has valve dampers and larger valves from stock, as well as better flowing exhaust ports. Alright they don’t have adjustable rockers.

Blue block will generally be superior from stock as well, with better crank and rods and generally done less work.

The rest depends on your cam selection really. Big lumpy cam will require roller rockers and hi stall converter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:22 PM

Blue 3300 block, 2850 blue head :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users