Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Name:Derek
  • Car:Lh

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:05 PM

Good evening all 

Is 350 Holley best for 186 street engine ?

I have manifold to suit Holley so would prefer this 

Will stock 350 work or will it need mods

Thanks 😊 

#2 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:40 PM

Oh frOck not this again. They are a cheap and readily available carb with poor atomization. Will get you a bit more squirt and top end over stock at the expense of much fuel.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#3 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:09 PM

Very good for holding the P.A. door open in the wind, too light for a boat anchor.

#4 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:28 AM

It is amazing just how well a good 1 7/32" Stromberg can perform on a 186.  Has anybody tried one of the small Edelbrock 4 barrels on a red six? I have got one on a standard 350 and it is very very good.

#5 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:43 AM

BVX2 stromberg, WW stromberg, Downdraught Weber, even Rochester varajet are better than 2bbl Holley on stock six. The varajet isn’t too bad really. Hard to get idling nice. I believe they flow similar to 350 Holley.

Small 4bbl works very well on a warm six with reasonable economy, eg holley 390. No reason why edelbrock wouldn’t work but you want a mild cam and head work I would think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,079 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:28 AM

2BBL Rochester as fitted in Australia to most 283 Chevrolet and Pontiac and HK-HT 307 is the same base as a WW and will work too.

#7 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:46 AM

How about the weber from an XE/XF falcon? I remember them being used in the past.

#8 Chips

Chips

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Car:LX hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:07 PM

I rebuilt a 465 last year. on a redline manifold.
I got it to run fine. Mechanic later on spent hours on it and hated it and put my +25 year old been sitting in a box Stromberg on it and says it's much better. He says couldn't get vacuum right.
It's better behaved and easier to drive easier now and don't know about fuel consumption. In the seat I didn't feel a noticeable difference in performance.
I like the 465 for looks so looking for a 390 to give it a shot. There's not many around. bought a 350 but don't think i'll bother. was going to try putting a 2 bbl manifold on the 465 as I think i read that somewhere.

#9 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,079 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:22 PM

Always heaps of Holley 390 on EBay. Rebuilt ready to go for about $750. You might save a few bucks buying one from the US too.

#10 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:06 PM

last week - http://www.gmh-toran...and-extractors/

#11 Chips

Chips

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:26 PM

Always heaps of Holley 390 on EBay. Rebuilt ready to go for about $750. You might save a few bucks buying one from the US too.

yes, but where's the fun in that? :)

i've considered that option then decided to go look for a dirty old broken cheap one i can dismantle and rebuild then break and then take it to someone to do it properly. or go the plan b and buy a new or recon.

don't see many cheap ones going USA advertised. i was on way there in March then had to abort that mission, was going to look at picking up one there. doesn't help that the exchange at moment/last few years is back to normal.

#12 sr2

sr2

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Name:Butler Simon
  • Car:186 X2 Powered Rigamortice (1947)

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:11 PM

How about the weber from an XE/XF falcon? I remember them being used in the past.

Yes the Falcon 34ADM Weber carb works well on a 186 and will fit the OP's manifold with only re-drilling/taping of the studs required. The crazy thing is that the jetting often doesn't have to be changed to run well on a Holden  !

#13 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:11 PM

Hume performance do the 390 but I was lucky and got one that had been done at outlaw speed in Adelaide and never used with red six manifold for $250. Robbed another body for manual choke as the outlaws had ditched choke. Then bought a blue six manifold for it for $150. Blah blah

#14 Chips

Chips

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:53 PM

wow that's such a good deal. but why no choke?

I've noticed that before and had a think about it but can't figure why. my 465 doesn't have one and I also can't remember why. I just got a used 390 for about $175 and it came with 2 automatic chokes separate in the box so will see what works, starting with carby unit!

I don't see many up for sale anywhere- I got this one in U.K. where I been stuck since March avoiding travelling back because it's all too hard so i stay put. 3 days passing through has turned into +4 months mostly indoors but the no traffic country roads has been good until i got a ticket.

I see 2 more going here around that price so was thinking about getting them and bringing back if there was any interest.

Edited by Chips, 15 July 2020 - 10:56 PM.

#15 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:43 PM

Choke restricts flow at WOT. I think the guy didn’t know what he was selling. Was on a HR he was putting back to stock but was very rusty and not worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users