LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:39 AM

I ran Commo IRS rear springs in the back of my LX for 20 years. From memory they were VP - stock factory springs. No need to buy lowered or super lows, they’ll slam the rear. I believe Camira are just a touch lower again.

Just note, they won’t stay captive unless you install short throw shocks. I never worried, but if I jacked the car up, with jack stands under the body and then lowered the diff housing, they’d just about fall out - so always needed to locate them again when jacking back up.

They’re also progressive rate and I had incredible launches drag racing with those springs. Unreal stance. Not bad for a $30 set of springs from the wreckers! Plenty of photos from the earlier days in my thread.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:02 PM

The ones I had in my old Torana were standard springs from a VQ Statesman rear end (IRS).

They were certainly stiff enough to not be matched well to my shocks. If I were to do it again, I'd have more damper going on! Some tighter valved Bilsteins etc.

Also, I do not remember them being a progressive rate spring. Are you sure about that Brett? 

Edited by Heath, 30 June 2020 - 05:02 PM.

#4 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

i got some IRS springs for my my UC and they don't look like they are going to fit  , bought them sight unseen and it turns out they are stock height irs kings springs 

afaik you have to modify the stock springs but you can't do the same mod with the aftermarket springs ? . 

#5 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:29 PM

I ran Commo IRS rear springs in the back of my LX for 20 years. From memory they were VP - stock factory springs. No need to buy lowered or super lows, they’ll slam the rear. I believe Camira are just a touch lower again.
Just note, they won’t stay captive unless you install short throw shocks. I never worried, but if I jacked the car up, with jack stands under the body and then lowered the diff housing, they’d just about fall out - so always needed to locate them again when jacking back up.
They’re also progressive rate and I had incredible launches drag racing with those springs. Unreal stance. Not bad for a $30 set of springs from the wreckers! Plenty of photos from the earlier days in my thread.

Thanks for your reply Brett, you’ve answered all my questions needed, I will be installing a shorter shock with the set up I’ll have running the IRS springs & funny enough I’m picking up a pair for $40
I did scroll through your build thread to check out the stance of the LXCHEV.... Beautiful car

Cheers Aaron

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:27 PM

i got some IRS springs for my my UC and they don't look like they are going to fit  , bought them sight unseen and it turns out they are stock height irs kings springs 

afaik you have to modify the stock springs but you can't do the same mod with the aftermarket springs ? . 

Sounds weird to me. The pigtail shrinks down to a small diameter, and you certainly need to cut the centre out so that it fits around the spigot of the Torana suspension (top and bottom).

#7 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:15 PM

Yep spot on Heath - I forgot to mention the mod of trimming them down just enough in order to locate onto the Torana mounts.

And I’m still fairly sure they are progressive rate, but could be wrong. I just had a quick glance at the Kings Springs website, and their ads for VP IRS rears are all listed as progressive rate.

#8 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:29 AM

maybe i got a odd set but they are not as progressive as stock ?

commodore spring on the left , stock uc on the right

Attached File  spring.jpg   133.79K   3 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users