383 Chev AFR heads Extractor fitment

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _HTPREM350_

_HTPREM350_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:07 PM

Hey Guys,

I am having immense trouble trying to find out if CAE Tri Y Headers will fit into my LX with AFR cylinder heads.

The problem is that CAE make the headers to suit standard cast heads and the AFR heads run a exhaust port which is at a higher point.

Has anyone had this issue and can they be fitted or is there another off the shelf option without getting Custom headers made and the huge expense that goes with that.

TIA

Cheers

Craig

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

My mate just went through this with his HK. His old Pacemakers which he ran for years with Fuelies and later Corvette L98 heads wouldn't work with the 400 he put in that had different port arrangements. He had to buy new Pacemakers specifically made for the aftermarket heads.

I'm either going to run those same L98 heads or buy a new set of Edelbrock RRM 60895 heads that have standard port locations and straight plugs so I can run factory 2.5" Ramshorns.

#3 _HTPREM350_

_HTPREM350_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

My mate just went through this with his HK. His old Pacemakers which he ran for years with Fuelies and later Corvette L98 heads wouldn't work with the 400 he put in that had different port arrangements. He had to buy new Pacemakers specifically made for the aftermarket heads.

I'm either going to run those same L98 heads or buy a new set of Edelbrock RRM 60895 heads that have standard port locations and straight plugs so I can run factory 2.5" Ramshorns.

Yes mate, I am currently being advised that if I want to run AFR, then I may have to build custom extractors. I just wanted to confirm with the experts here before my wallet gets a whack.

#4 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:39 PM

I had a set of Trick Flow heads and off the shelf extractors on a SBC and when l went to a pair of AFR 210 heads the pipes still bolted up without a problem.

I believe that the AFR ports are higher in the heads than the Trick Flows but in my experience the spacing and exhaust gasket used are the same.

Edited by V-SLR5000-P, 06 July 2020 - 09:40 PM.

#5 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:07 AM

I have AFR heads on my hatch, 1"7/8 primary's,  what is the issue, clearance or bolt up problem. ?

Edited by axistr, 07 July 2020 - 08:07 AM.

#6 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:17 AM

It was clearance on the HK with different exhaust port heads and traditional extractors.

#7 _HTPREM350_

_HTPREM350_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

I have AFR heads on my hatch, 1"7/8 primary's,  what is the issue, clearance or bolt up problem. ?

I was told that the ports are higher which creates clearance issues and that the ports may be different size for off the shelf extractors.

#8 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:12 PM

On the BBC I went from a stock block 502 with factory heads to a dart block 572 AFR combo and the good old pacemakers still bolted straight up.

Can you do a rubbing or tracing of the head exhaust port face and the flange on the pipes and see how they mate up?

Alternatively AFR will list the appropriate exhaust flange gasket which you could buy and see how it fits the pipes.

#9 _HTPREM350_

_HTPREM350_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:19 PM

On the BBC I went from a stock block 502 with factory heads to a dart block 572 AFR combo and the good old pacemakers still bolted straight up.

Can you do a rubbing or tracing of the head exhaust port face and the flange on the pipes and see how they mate up?

Alternatively AFR will list the appropriate exhaust flange gasket which you could buy and see how it fits the pipes.

Have not purchased the pipes or Heads yet mate, Just trying to make sure its all good before the hammer falls. Thanks for the reply buddy

#10 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:01 PM

My mate had same problem with Dart heads and pipe in his LX. The pipes were built on standard heads in the car which cost near $6000. A few months later the new SBC turned up and pipe didn’t fit so another $2000 and they fitted again. 

#11 _HTPREM350_

_HTPREM350_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:07 PM

My mate had same problem with Dart heads and pipe in his LX. The pipes were built on standard heads in the car which cost near $6000. A few months later the new SBC turned up and pipe didn’t fit so another $2000 and they fitted again. 

Yes mate, I dont want that problem, I have emailed AFR. See what they say.

#12 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:38 PM

Interesting indeed. I’ve had allot AFR’s on my wish list for a long time. Had never heard of the higher ports before.

#13 _HTPREM350_

_HTPREM350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

Interesting indeed. I’ve had allot AFR’s on my wish list for a long time. Had never heard of the higher ports before.

I found this out by CHEV POWER here in WA.

He mentioned that most of his clients with AFR heads fitted in Torana's, have had to have custom made headers.

When I purchased my Extractors they also reiterated that they will not fit correctly onto some aftermarket heads, AFR on particular. So being told by 2 different sources the same thing, I am not taking the chance.

Have had a quote of $3500 minimum to build custom pipes. That makes it $7000 for heads and pipes, I think I will just make do with Edlebrocks.

CHEV POWER did say that on the dyno the AFR heads make 50hp more than Edelbrocks though.

I am having the Edelbrocks reworked a little though :D

#14 _HTPREM350_

_HTPREM350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:58 AM

FYI....reply from AFR

Our exhaust port is raised .100" over factory, which is less than 1/8 of an inch.

In addition we center the exhaust manifold bolt holes over the exhaust port to improve fitment of aftermarket headers with our product.

AFR Sales....

#15 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:21 PM

Still reckon it’s worth asking AFR what exhaust gasket they use and ask pacemaker or whomever else you are considering for a diagram of their flange and see how close they are.

#16 _HTPREM350_

_HTPREM350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:46 PM

Hi Gents,

I thought I would give an update now the engine is fitted.

I am running AFR 195 Cylinder heads on my SBC and CAE headers are now fitted in without to much trouble, the pipes are fowling the steering shaft flexible joint cover, but that is about it.

I did have to use the Tuff mounts but everything else seems fine, did not have to cut the engine bay rails at the sides either.

Cheers guys, hope this helps someone out in the future.

Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users