5 replies to this topic

#1 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

Just working on the HK's fuel system so I can get the tank back in. A question in red bold below.

Pictures tell the story mostly. I'm using a VY-VZ regulated MRA as a dead-head feed to a Holley sniper. The picture shows a dummy setup how it is connected. The filter and fuel lines are new VZ, the fuel feeds the filter, feeds the fuel to the front of the car via the T-piece on the filter output and the MRA regulates the pressure with return to the tank.

Attached File  Tank1.JPG   221.48K   1 downloadsAttached File  Tank2.JPG   171.1K   1 downloads

I also bought a standard VZ bracket that holds the filter, the clamp comes with the filter. I plan to use this to mount the filter:

Attached File  Bracket.JPG   258.61K   1 downloads

This is how a standard HK fuel line looks below and above the floor (tank missing from the car of course). The line comes through a 20-odd mm grommet.

Attached File  Line1.JPG   245.61K   1 downloadsAttached File  Line2.JPG   158.98K   1 downloads

So I was wondering. Is it OK to mount the filter inside the boot of the car? Or should it be under the car? The standard VZ feed and return lines I have would work with it in the boot, but obviously I'll have to make up lines if the filter is under the car. If the filter is in the boot I'd simply run a hose off the T on the end of the filter to the factory fuel line. If the filter goes under the car I'll cut the factory fuel line back away from the tank and re-flare it so it can connect to the filter outlet.

If the filter goes under the car I'd make up lines and use 90deg bends to get the fuel lines through a floor grommet, probably one of these:

Attached File  o-rings.JPG   257.78K   1 downloads

The factory fuel VZ lines looks like some sort of plastic stuff. Anyone know where to buy it if I have to make some up?

Attached File  Hose1.JPG   143.13K   1 downloads

I have the hose ends if I have to make some up, just not and 90deg fittings:

Attached File  Connectors.JPG   219.83K   1 downloads

The smaller fitting will run a pipe across the front of the tank and join at a T piece to the HK filler neck vent and run through the factory HK breather grommet to a canister in the engine bay (turfing the steel breather line). If I can buy this plastic hose in the smaller size I might use that and run it all the way to the engine bay. There are clip holes along the inside of the passenger side sill that must be for LHD fuel and brake lines as they mirror the ones on the driver's side. HK standard tank breather (open to air above the diff):

Attached File  breather.JPG   170.91K   1 downloads

Edited by yel327, 10 July 2020 - 04:03 PM.

#2 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

Most engineers would want a minimum of fuel hose joints inside the boot cavity to avoid vapour smells in the passenger compartment. Some might say no.

With those type of fittings I would mount it inside the boot, just for convenience but it is really up to the engineer.

I keep these fittings in 90 degree style on the shelf. I would run regular EFI hose or braided hose to the front of the car.

Dr Terry

#3 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

Thanks Terry.

I did think of getting a small box made to sit in front of the fuel tank with a sealed lid and 3 x holes in it for the 2 x MRA lines and the pipe to the fuel line. Plus a drain pipe under the car. At least this way if it leaks it’ll be contained.

Do you mean EFI or braided hose for the breather line? I’m using the original steel fuel line for the fuel feed. It’s only 4bar pressure. The vapour line will just feed a canister in the engine bay.

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:47 PM

You won't need a breather line if you have a line going to a canister.

When you said "all the way to the engine bay", I thought that you were referring to the supply line.

Dr Terry

#5 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:02 PM

What I’m planning is a line from out the breather grommet to a canister in the engine bay. I’ll stick a T-piece just inside the floor to join to the existing filler neck breather and a hose from the MRA breather. I was contemplating using plastic fuel hose like the VZ lines are made from as it will be simple and easy to run. Just slide some rubber hose over it for protection where it runs near the wheel arch (like the HK fuel line has that protective spring over it).

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:22 PM

This is the Australian division of the company that makes the Normaflex pipe and fittings.

Norma Pacific Pty.Ltd. 85 Merrindale Drive South Croydon, Vict. 3136 Tel.: ++61/3/9761 4416 Fax: ++61/3/9761 4030 [email protected]

https://3.imimg.com/...norma-clamp.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users