Photo

175cd stromberg o ring brands? whats best?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:37 PM

Hi guys

I know this seems like a strange question...but what is the better brand of rebuild kit, or more specifically best place to get decent quality o rings from?

I got kits put thru the triple strombergs on my car probably 18 months ago as the o rings were leaking. This fixed the problem...but today I went to start the car and 2 of the carbs are now leaking again! It has been sitting a while due to moving house etc etc but I would have imagined they would last longer than this.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers guys

#2 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:29 PM

Gavin @ classic carbs in Brisbane is the man mate, he stocks most zennith parts, brilliant to deal with. Gary.

& personally i would stick with zennith, you don't have problems & they're good quality.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:14 AM

If the fuel had evaporated from the bowls the O-rings may have dried out and shrunk enough to allow fuel to weep out. Fuel will cause the o-rings to swell up and seal.

Check them again now that they have been in contact with fuel again for 24 hours.

Also check carefully that the leak isn't coming from the fuel bowl gaskets, giving the impression the jet holder O rings are leaking.

I've got Fuelmiser kits in mine and they are fine. The only thing I didn't like about the fuelmiser kits is the fuel bowl gasket material is thinner than the OEM gasket and wouldn't seal 100%.

Fortunately I had some nos OEM gaskets so I swapped them out and no more weeps.

Edited by S pack, 13 July 2020 - 08:19 AM.

#4 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:26 AM

Thanks guys

Ill start her up again and see how we go....shall let you know.

#5 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:06 AM

So started the car up, let her warm right up and no drips....S pack you were right. let them run for a while and kept feeling underneath for any seeping fuel...and apart from burning my finger touching the extractor...all good!

There did in a couple of spots feel like oil or something darker (and didnt smell fuelly) come off them, but not sure if that was from out of carb or what.

Anyway...good news

Thanks for the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users