Yet another HQ disc question

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:38 PM

Perhaps a new thread on this would be good so we don't overrun Dan's brake question any more, even though it is all related.

The hoppers kits are hard to beat for value and simplicity. I'm tempted to get a set myself and then upgrade to better calipers later.

Nah you all are good, I'm glad as this thread has kinda brought a lot of different threads together into one

I was just exploring the benefits/disadvantages of simplifying the process and seeing how (if at all) it could be done without swapping stubs and steering arms etc etc

What issues would an engineer have with swapping discs and calipers over without swapping stubs/steering arms etc?

#27 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:01 PM

If youre going to engineer your car be worth asking the engineer what they want, i think using the Nissan caliper will be easy enough to get engineered as the car it came from was approved for road use

If you choose something not already approved it gets more difficult, i have Wilwood calipers and the engineer brake test was pretty serious

As Rexy mentioned the Hoppers kit is a good option, will work with standard Torana stubs and might even come with an engineering certificate

If you were to go for Hoppers be good to ask them if your wheels will fit first

Hope you find an easy solution you like

#28 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:34 AM

I actually found all the ones I posted on Cardomain they are still there but they must have compacted all the photos as I can't read the legend on them now when I blow them up. I bought my work PC home as it has a DVD drive on it do I can check my archives from 4 PCs ago.
I should still have the .xls data if I'm lucky.

M@

This deserves a new thread and a sticky.

#29 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:49 AM

If youre going to engineer your car be worth asking the engineer what they want, i think using the Nissan caliper will be easy enough to get engineered as the car it came from was approved for road use

If you choose something not already approved it gets more difficult, i have Wilwood calipers and the engineer brake test was pretty serious

As Rexy mentioned the Hoppers kit is a good option, will work with standard Torana stubs and might even come with an engineering certificate

If you were to go for Hoppers be good to ask them if your wheels will fit first

Hope you find an easy solution you like

I've had this discussion with my Engineer (NSW) for my HK. He is happy for me to run the Rodtech front end with AUII rotors and calipers, HQ rear drums, HG booster and VT master cylinder as it is all Aussie stuff already. I have to go through braking tests though which costs around $1000. I discussed Wilwood but it was a no go, not approved for Australian road use was the response other than one particular caliper (I think that was the direction at the time, about 18 months ago). I decided it wasn't worth the trouble for a car that will never see hard driving on bendy roads.

#30 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:58 AM

I have never had L34 steering arms to try or to see how they differ to the Harrop ones so no. I'm not sure where I would get any either. I was of the understanding they were like the Harrop ones but with the steering stop on them

Is that what you mean by L34 setup?
If you mean the rest of the setup as per which stubs, position of UCA, camber etc, I probably did as I checked many many combos. I didn't bother with some that I could see were going to be really undesirable.

I actually found all the ones I posted on Cardomain they are still there but they must have compacted all the photos as I can't read the legend on them now when I blow them up. I bought my work PC home as it has a DVD drive on it do I can check my archives from 4 PCs ago.
I should still have the .xls data if I'm lucky.

M@

I was just interested, I could never find any when I did my original install using the LH type front end and HQ stubs/brakes. I had a full NOS L34 chassis kit minus the engine bits, it had stubs, rotors, calipers, hoses, rear brakes, axles, upper complete control arms (attached to stubs) and front springs. But no steering arms IIRC. I always assumed the front crossmember was the same as it didn't come with it. I don't know why it had upper arms, maybe bushes were different? I didn't use that stuff as I never wanted to waste it on a low-ish model LX hatchback, so I copied it all using standard Holden stuff but used the standard LH steering arms which as I said had significant bump steer.

As Laurie says, your research would be great for a sticky thread here if you ever get the motivation and time to put it up.

#31 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:21 PM

i have a better option than using a commodore rear disc with a torana pattern  if you are interested  ?

Will take a little work to fit but you wont need to re drill the rotor every time you get new ones  

#32 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:22 PM

Volvo Dana?

#33 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:35 PM

Volvo is ok if you want a short final drive, though taller gears can be sourced from US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#34 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:37 PM

Volvo Dana?

close  , Volvo / Commodore

I haven't finished it yet but all you need is volvo wheel studs ,  a hub centric ring (what you need for a commodore rotor anyway ) and 10mm spacers on the caliper 

Volvo rotor and the rest is just commodore stuff

the rotor is almost the same

Attached File  v1.jpg   248.02K   3 downloads

#35 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:07 PM

:spoton:

#36 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:15 AM

Ok so I decided I was trying to avoid the inevitable so I've bitten the bullet and am investing in HX tonner stubs, a9x steering arms and uc upper arms (when I can find the bloody things)

Now brake options on the front have been a bit hard to nail down. Remember I am keeping torana stud pattern and the 15" wheels I currently have on the car. Car also has double diaphragm booster and 1" master so the system is ready to go.
What are my options outside of going with HQ discs and callipers and/or the Hoppers Stoppers kit?

Issue with HQ set up is I just want full confidence in the system under all conditions (extended down hill braking, maybe the odd track day etc) and I want to be sure that I wont have to deal with brake fade etc.

Issue with the Hoppers kit is the price.

I am honestly not looking to start arguments, I just want to hear peoples experiences and alternatives so I can make the best decision when it comes time to open my wallet....I'm not afraid to spend money, just hate wasting it.
If I cant get a solid answer then ill bite the bullet and call Hoppers

#37 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:49 AM

I’m using AUII rotors and calipers which I think are 287x28mm and having some clearance issues with 15” rims. The steel 15” RallyeII rims just fit and are hit and miss if they clear depending on the vintage of the rim (some have more steel where the centre is folded to weld to the rim). So I doubt 15” alloys would fit. These need a hub drilled to your stud pattern and would need rotors drilled too and this is what you’ll need for most upgrades.

You don’t need one tonner stubs either, normal Holden ones are identical if you don’t have them. Tonner ones are just treated for the 2660kg GVW, but standard ones are good enough for a fully loaded Caprice so will be overkill on a Torana strength wise.

Also if you are going for a bigger multi piston caliper like I have with the AUII ones the 1” master may need to be changed to a stepped bore one like a VT. They are a bolt on fitment with an adapter like in the following link. Will need some new brake lines from the cylinder to the block
https://www.caeperfo...UNBMDAxLmpwZw==

Edited by yel327, 07 October 2020 - 08:51 AM.

#38 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:23 AM

Clearance for 15" wheels can be an issue but some do work. If memory serves Hoppers had a diagram with the crucial dimensions on it, you could use this to see if your wheels will clear? The 1" master is adequate for the AUII calipers but I agree with yel a bigger circuit for the fronts makes a big improvement.

Use one of the more rigid model calipers and a good set of pads and the HQ setup can work perfectly well, its not exactly a track day setup but then neither is the Hoppers kit.

#39 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2020 - 10:56 AM

Thanks guys, that clears up a few things for me.

So essentially the general consensus is the performance of the Hoppers kit isn't miles ahead of a well set up HQ disc and calliper set up?
I guess the benefit of the HQ set up is it mounts straight up to the stubs I've already got? Or do the AUII callipers mount straight to the HX stubs as well without a fabricated bracket?

I've been sent the Hoppers diagram, my wheels will clear their 290mm kit

The other issue will be getting a disc in torana pattern, ill also need a hub or similar won't I? As well as getting my hands on some blank discs and getting them drilled.
Maybe going hoppers will be the most cost effective.
Is there something I'm missing here?

#40 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:14 AM

Pretty sure you need caliper adapter brackets. You'll be able to buy hubs to go on the HK-WB stubs in Holden pattern, not sure about the rotors.

#41 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:47 AM

Pretty sure you need caliper adapter brackets. You'll be able to buy hubs to go on the HK-WB stubs in Holden pattern, not sure about the rotors.

Rotors I am sure I can figure out, where would you recommend I go looking for hubs? I did a bit of a google hunt and it seems there aren't options available in torana pattern. There must be though as Hoppers sell hubs with their kit

#42 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:55 AM

Hoppers is where I’d start. Mine came with the front end from Rodtech.

#43 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:30 PM

Ok I'm starting to get a combo together in my head.

Seems that Hoppers use the AU2 calipers and discs.
DBA sell blanks for both AU2 and HQ, and it seems there's only a 11mm difference in diameter between the two. And a 2.6mm thickness difference.
I guess my question is, does the Hoppers kit perform that much better? Are the AU significantly better calipers better than HQ?
The only reason I ask the question is it seems I'll have to go find a bracket to mount the AU2 calliper, and thats another expense (or just buy a Hoppers kit)

Are AU2 calipers easier/cheaper to buy perhaps?

If there is little difference in performance between the two options, it may be more cost effective to stick with a HQ set up...unless caliper availability/cost/performance are miles apart.

Regardless I'll have to call around and see if I can get a hub, so I'll get onto that today

#44 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

You don’t need a hub for the HQ setup. 
The discs bolt straight up to your Torana, HQ or Tonner stubs.

There is probably more difference in performance from pad choice than the physicality of either system. Particularly on a predominantly street driven car.

#45 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:59 PM

You don’t need a hub for the HQ setup. 
The discs bolt straight up to your Torana, HQ or Tonner stubs.

There is probably more difference in performance from pad choice than the physicality of either system. Particularly on a predominantly street driven car.

I bought the stubs already and they are just the bare stub. When looking at DBA brakes, I'm looking at blank rotors which I will get drilled into torana stud pattern. I will need to source hubs that have the threads/studs for torana pattern that mounts to the HX tonner stubs no?

My thinking was a HQ rotor at 276mm x 25.4mm which is vented and slotted, with a caliper that has a decent pad on it, would perform just as well as an AUII caliper with the same pads and disc design at 287mm x 28mm. 

Again, unless the calipers perform better, or are easier to source etc etc

#46 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:23 PM

No. A HQ-WB rotor has the hub integral to the rotor. https://www.ebay.com...exoCsTQQAvD_BwE

An AUII requires a separate hub: https://www.superche...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(neither may be the correct rotor, just grabbed pictures of the type).

Every increase in rotor diameter gives you a % increase in braking power. But as you say there isn't much difference. The AUII caliper will be superior due to extra piston but as Rexy says, for street use swings and roundabouts. 

#47 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:35 PM

I had HQ discs and HQ PBR cast calipers on my track car toy for years. Worked great with good pads

and air ducts. Only eventually changed to 4 pot calipers because I got sick of squaring up the pads after

every couple of sessions around places like Calder. IMHO I think for cost, reliability and ease of fitment,

you cant beat this combo unless your doing far more track time than normal road use. Hoppers will redrill

HQ rotors (get the slotted ones) to Torana pattern.

#48 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

No. A HQ-WB rotor has the hub integral to the rotor. https://www.ebay.com...exoCsTQQAvD_BwE

An AUII requires a separate hub: https://www.superche...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(neither may be the correct rotor, just grabbed pictures of the type).

Every increase in rotor diameter gives you a % increase in braking power. But as you say there isn't much difference. The AUII caliper will be superior due to extra piston but as Rexy says, for street use swings and roundabouts.

For HQ undrilled, ill have to find a hub though no? This is what I have found https://automotivesu...au/dba-dba014us

Hubs for HX stub axles are hard to track down, the web is a bit vague. But if there are hubs that come with Hoppers and similar kits, then you would assume they're available from somewhere.

Ah the extra piston may be a critical part, you would assume there is more pad surface then too, maybe the AUII is the better play....ah decisions to make haha

#49 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:46 PM

No. HQ rotor has an integral hub, you replace the whole thing. Look at the first link I put up. HQ-WB, L34 and A8X are all the same disc/hub.

Talk to Hoppers.

#50 hotmetal1000

hotmetal1000

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LJ

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

For HQ undrilled, ill have to find a hub though no? This is what I have found https://automotivesu...au/dba-dba014us

Hubs for HX stub axles are hard to track down, the web is a bit vague. But if there are hubs that come with Hoppers and similar kits, then you would assume they're available from somewhere.

Ah the extra piston may be a critical part, you would assume there is more pad surface then too, maybe the AUII is the better play....ah decisions to make haha

The link you have there, the picture of the rotor isn't of a HQ rotor. It's just a generic pic the website has used.

As yel327 above said The HQ rotor has an integral hub, look at his first link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users