5 replies to this topic

#1 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:10 PM

Anyone here have any experience good or bad with parking hoists? This sort of thing but not necessarily this brand:

https://tufflift.com...-parking-hoist/

The Tufflift one isn't ideal as it has to have the hydraulic pack on the left rear or front right post, I ideally want it on the rear right but can be lived with it on the front right, it just ends up in the middle of nowhere though and will require a pendant outlet to plug it into.

I like the Tufflift dimensions though as it is 2055mm under the runways (I am 1950mm tall and my Hilux is 1975mm at the roof racks), yet it is only 2617mm wide which suits me as it is for a double garage to give me room to park the Hilux and have a Monaro stored above. But I'm worried about the quality of anything quality critical that doesn't come from Australia, USA, Japan etc. For some stuff I'm OK with Chinese made but for stuff like brake components, bearings and obviously a hoist it is of some concern.

#2 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:17 PM

Hi Yel,

I purchase the same one about 12m ago. Not the extra height one, i,e, same part number with the last "H" missing.

Seems ok, as a storage hoist it only goes up and down every now and then.

They state there is no need to bolt them down, and that then lets you wheel them around with the dollies they supply.

This in turn means the posts do wobble a little as they initially take the wieght.

Yes - the front right power pack means the plug is out in no mans land.

They are very heavy, if you go to Syd. to pick it up like I did, you will need a good car trailer with good tie down points.

They load them from the rear with a single fork tyne about 4m long, so no need to worry about side access.

The runways are the heavy bit, the posts no so.

Once home, you can break down the package, and lift off the bits with an engine crane , one at a time.

Easy to assemble, just need a few people.

I would say that I'm happy with it. 

Yell out if you want to do a drive by.

#3 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:57 PM

I have had one of the Tufflift extra height hoists for about 5 years , without any issues at all.Like most things these days, they are Chinese, however , as I said to my wife, these are a little dearer than some others which appear to be generic/ unbranded / similar to each other but the Tufflift complies to Australian standards and design rules PLUS they have also supplied an Australian Mechanical Engineers certificate to the effect that the engineer is quite OK with the design and build. The extra couple of bucks over the Ebay ones is, well worth it, as you have product liability coverage from an Australian Company of many years trading. Will take 2 people to assemble, The package weighs around 850kg, I reckon 2/3rds of that is in the ramps, but easy to put up, just be fussy levelling it up in all directions with shims under posts if needed and you will get a great result. I can shoot you a photo or 2 with 2 cars parked if you want. 

#4 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:07 PM

I have 2 of the 'generic' brand (can't even tell you what brand they are, but rated at 3.6T lift) bought through a local seller here where I live, back around 2013.

I had a couple of mates also interested at the same time and we were all concerned about the fact the hoists don't need to be bolted down, so the seller arranged for us to visit a guy with a hoist already assembled with a Lincoln Continental parked on it; a huge vehicle that overhung both the front and back of the hoist by a decent amount! It was all rock solid, even when the owner grabbed a ratchet/socket and started heaving on some of the front end components. Convinced all of us that everything was OK :-).

Since then I have been back for a second unit (as there's no such thing as enough space!) and the seller has probably sold 8-10 units through our group of contacts over the years. He's currently in Italy working on another project so unfortunately not selling them at the moment as far as I know.

Since installation I had to reposition both my hoists by a foot.  The first one I unloaded and shifted everything - took half a day :-(  The second one I got a decent block of wood and sledge hammer and moved each post an inch at a time. Half an hour later it was in the new position (still with the car on it) and never look like being any sort of issue. 

Our units are pretty much the same design as the Tuff Lift ones, just standard height as 'extra height' hadn't been invented then ( but would be handy, especially for earlier vehicles), but the hydraulic set up is attached to the front left/right rear post, which sounds like would suit you better; so they do exist. (Painted blue not black too).

The main thing to look for is the double safety lock system. Some units only have a single locking system which you lower the hoist down onto when at the desired height. The second locking system is linked into the cable/hydraulic mechanism, which automatically activates if there is a failure; this probably is the main feature in the pass/fail for ADR.

Other than my second unit having a faulty capacitor when assembled I am not aware of anyone having any issues with any of the hoists. My units are basically for storage and get operated very little, but my mate has a usable collector car on/under his so it gets used as much as you would expect for this type of driver vehicle.

Assembly by two people would be ideal, but I did assemble both of mine by myself, using milk crates to support the runways off the ground during assembly. I used a couple of dollies to move them around. They are the heavy bits as Col has said. The posts are easily manageable by one person.

Needs a 15 amp circuit for 240 volt and assume all would be the same in this regard.

Hope this info gives you some reassurance.

Cheers,

JPXU1

#5 VIXL34s

VIXL34s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Name:jeff
  • Car:2x L34s,+ HZ GTS, A9X HATCH.A9X SEDAN

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:26 PM

Hullo all, yes i have one with the extra height, motor is fitted at the right rear, no problem, we think it to be good & I will buy another for my son on the farm, had to adjust the cable’s once after a bit of use to mantain the level on the runways. Jeff

#6 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:11 AM

Thanks guys. I'll give you a yell one day Col and have a look.

My problem isn't lifting bits once they are in the garage, it will be getting them up to the garage. Steep and curvy driveway to the house. I might be able to hook the car trailer up to the Bobcat and push it up there - I used to be able to do it with the centre front towbar on the Overlander. I tried it with the offset front towball on the Hilux but doesn't work. The Bobcat has 50mm balls either side for the excavator attachment and it is a lot narrower and maneuverable than the Hilux so might work.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users