Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:03 PM

Hi all. 

I will preface this by saying I have very good friends who are Chinese and this is not aimed at them but the Chinese government. I also put my hand up that I know nothing about manufacture.

I just feel that we have to start to look at what I suspect will be the norm going forward where China will impose whatever sanctions to hurt Aussie goods.  

The first avenue is to try and establish new market for our good but that obviously takes time

The second is to buy goods from alternate countries.  Not necessarily available immediately

The third, and I believe the best, is to restrict the supply of goods to China that impact on their wealth. What hurts them? Minerals

Read between the lines, any raw materials that we can use locally to produce the same stuff Chine produces.

The pandemic has flagged the world needs to reset the reliance on China. Why not build a steel production plant.  Why can't we?

We have a massive knowledge base and workforce. How do we push the barrow?: Cheers Ron

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:20 PM

Look on the box. If it says “Made in China” or PRC don’t buy it. Simple. Unless there is no alternative. Sometimes it costs more, like the Aussie made vice I gave just ordered. Costs more, but worth supporting Aussie Manufacturing that still exists. Just also ordered an Aussie made attic ladder from Melbourne and got some Aussie made Blackbutt bedroom furniture made locally. Sometimes there is some imported bits in them like screws, slides etc but at least all the labour is Aussie.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

In most cases there is no alternative. We just don't manufacture very much in this country anymore.

Hell, even our military source their uniforms and boots from China. We would be #@$^%& if we went to war with China.

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:56 PM

The war will be China V Australia so the Yanks can get involved...…….We will be the scapegoats.

#5 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:15 PM

Stop selling our farms to them would be a great start

#6 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:28 AM

You won't see the government promoting that we buy Australian made like they used because they've happily sold out to China.
Maybe they promote buy Australia in China, our land, ports, minerals and businesses.

#7 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:06 AM

In most cases there is no alternative. We just don't manufacture very much in this country anymore.
Hell, even our military source their uniforms and boots from China. We would be #@$^%& if we went to war with China.

There is almost always alternatives. Sometimes it may be made in Germany or USA or even NZ.

#8 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

It is much like business. Change must be effected at the top. We the people cant be the tail wagging the dog... Unless there is government support and policy on the matter. Nothing will change. 

#9 FNQ

FNQ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name:Darryl
  • Car:lc

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:28 AM

In my opinion , the only way to change the reliance is to restrict trading RAW materials   Coal, iron ore, Bauxite, Wool, Milk fat solids as a start.  To enable this to occur without crippling the miners, farmers, retails sectors etc, an Australian stockpile could be developed ( like the old Australian Wool Board). Everything would be bought by the Board and then sold on to other world players until such time as future sustainable contracts can be had. All future contracts would limit the total percentage sold to one particular country. ( The two biggest potential problems with this hypothetical are:- government interventionist approach and the greed of Australians - i can see everyone saying we should stop selling to the Chinese at $2 per kg or$x per tonne but jump up and down to sell to the same people if they doubled their offer. 

#10 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

History repeats and now we are realising the whole globalization deal is just a front for big capital to source cheap labour.

I'm afraid the domination of China is virtually inevitable. USA is #@$^%& and we won't be able to rely on them like we did. But yes let us realise we hadve to share in some austerity now and say goodbye to the short term joy of cheap imports, including performance and restoration parts from USA I'm afraid.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#11 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:51 AM

It is much like business. Change must be effected at the top. We the people cant be the tail wagging the dog... Unless there is government support and policy on the matter. Nothing will change.

Maybe, but change can be driven by demand. We do an Aldi shop once a month or so to buy all cleaning products. Almost all are Aussie made and are half the price of the bigger supermarkets. Mainly Greens brand. Even at Bunnings there are Aussie made alternatives from plastic bins/buckets to garden tools. You just have to look and don’t accept cheap cr@p.

#12 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:24 AM

What is Aldi? 

#13 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:31 AM

Realistically if the big chain stores were serious about this, they would create Australian Only shopping aisles. Probably only need 1 aisle in Woolworths or Coles. 

#14 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:34 AM

What is Aldi? 

Ate you serious

Are ^^

#15 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

When that fool Gough Whitlam came to power, one of his electoral planks was that " we will recognize communist China within 30 days of taking office" . This they did, what a ridiculous promise to make and keep, unlike most political promise that are never honoured. So here we are today, subservient to a country that crucified our local industries with cheap prices, and now, like the idiots the Government is, allowing the same country to manipulate our economy by selective banning of goods on all sorts of flimsy pretences regarding quality etc, and then, when we are on our knees, buying up everything they can get their hands on like farms and real estate, business etc at fire sale prices. WAKE UP AUSTRALIA F.F.S. :angry:

#16 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:57 AM

Ate you serious

Are ^^

I see the term mentioned from time to time. I just assume its a retail shop of some sort? 

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

Realistically if the big chain stores were serious about this, they would create Australian Only shopping aisles. Probably only need 1 aisle in Woolworths or Coles. 

It is not up to them, it is up to us to buy Australian. Everything is labelled. Sometimes it is hard to find where a product is made, but in 99.9% of the cases this is to hide it, it will be there somewhere. If it is made in Australia it is shouted out on the packaging pretty loudly. I refuse to buy any food out of China. The fact their own citizens covertly hoard and ship back Aussie baby formula and similar products speaks volumes to me.

When I talked to Dawn about which vices were made here, I told them that I wanted to buy Australian, both for the quality and for the fact the $ and jobs stay here. The representative I spoke to actually thanked me for thinking this way and for supporting Australian manufacturing. They told me that they keep an Aussie range and an imported range. There is nothing really wrong with the imported ones, they are quality gear, but they are made overseas and have a lower cost base but aren't as good as the local ones. They are certainly better quality than the cheap garbage you'd buy from a discount tool, hardware or auto store, but nowhere near as good as the local product.

I'm not against buying imported stuff if it is good quality and there is no Aussie alternative, and generally not of Chinese manufacture although some stuff made there is good. I always bought GMH/Holden but stopped doing that at VZ as they had no alternative for me to buy after VZ. My VZ Cross8 was my last Holden, anything after that sold by Holden was useless to me. Currently our two drive cars are Japanese (Lexus RX350) or Japanese where it matters (2011 SR5 Hilux driveline is all Japanese). My next car will probably be North American with possible local content (Ram1500 or maybe a Jeep Gladiator if a bolt on Supercharger kit is available). I'm even careful when I buy tyres, I want to look at them to see where they are made. I will not buy Chinese tyres. Sure they come from Korea, USA, Japan, Thailand, India etc, but they are not trying to conquer the world just trying to exist in a global economy. The Toyos on my Hilux are made in Japan.

When you eventually get an Aldi in Cairns look past the pain in the @rse checkouts and quirks, and look at where most of the food and cleaning they sell comes from. It is primarily Australian. I don't buy much food there, but I do grab a few things that I recognise when we do a cleaning products shop. The cleaning products are so cheap it is ridiculous.

#18 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:37 AM

Pretty sure we will never get this Aldi shop up here. Something to do with a lack of Distribution centres or to many hillbillies or something. 

#19 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:06 PM

My two bobs worth is that India will eat China up in 10 years production wise. The two countries are already at a soft war with each other. I think the world has had enough of China's bullying tactics....Their reign will not last...

#20 VZ1_60

VZ1_60

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:13 PM

fortunately we are a resource rich country, however with a relatively small population we depend highly on international trade and exports for our workforce and the wealth all that brings.

It also seems most of us will not pay a premium for goods made in our own country compared to cheaper imports (just ask the CEO of Bonds), so we have created a destiny of our own making. Overseas buyers will also pay more for some of our goods (crayfish is a prime example), so profits (or is it greed??) comes into play.

Australia can't consume all of its raw materials internally, hence we sell overseas.

I agree with an earlier comment that we need to stop "selling the farm", I don't understand why we don't offer long term leases with ownership reverting back to the owners - other countries do that, we seem so keen on flogging stuff off.

my 2c worth (or is it 2 Aussie pesos?), cheers, john

#21 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

We've got no hope of securing the necessary investment while we need 2 k's of signage and go slow, closed lanes, 2 lollipop people. 6 blokes and a safety inspector to fill a couple of potholes on a quiet country road..

China isn't our problem, our ridiculous health and safety laws are.

#22 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:39 PM

In my opinion , the only way to change the reliance is to restrict trading RAW materials   Coal, iron ore, Bauxite, Wool, Milk fat solids as a start.  To enable this to occur without crippling the miners, farmers, retails sectors etc, an Australian stockpile could be developed ( like the old Australian Wool Board).

Stockpile is a word that sends shivers up my broken spine. It took 12 years to get rid of the last one, and we already have close to 400,000 bales of wool sitting in warehouses since April this year. The price is below cost of production now.  Add this to the fact that they have stopped imports of Australian barley (as of this morning) and there is a growing list of abattoirs that are banned from exporting to China, and yet the Australian government don't even rate it a mention. 

China have been stockpiling iron ore for years, so they won't even miss it if we cut them off.

#23 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:06 PM

Japan stockpiled lots of coal in the 80’s. Massive amounts from Australia. They created break walls and harbours with it as a future source. They didn’t know that immersion in salt water destroyed it. Bugger!

#24 dascind

dascind

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Car:71 LC GTR

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:09 AM

And when overseas ships do arrive into the port of Darwin  guess who the Australian government allowed the port to be sold off to ...

#25 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

And when overseas ships do arrive into the port of Darwin  guess who the Australian government allowed the port to be sold off to ...

Yes, totally bloody ridiculous situation. Completely inexcusable for the Feds to allow any essential infrastructure and or/the land/sea it occupies in this country to be owned by any foreign interests whatsoever.

How the hell did the Hazelwood power station end up being owned by a French company?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users