44 replies to this topic

#26 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:43 AM

It wasn’t the Federal Govt. It was the State and Territory Govts. That is what this whole saga in the media is about, giving the Federal Govt the power to overturn such agreements. They currently do not have it.

#27 dascind

dascind

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Car:71 LC GTR

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:13 PM

And to the best of my knowledge, we longer have any oil refineries left in the countries.

All fully refined oil comes from Singapore.

In the event of the nation being in hostilities, so much for having oil to run the military on ...... (let alone our Toranas!)

#28 Max's SS

Max's SS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:28 PM

And when overseas ships do arrive into the port of Darwin  guess who the Australian government allowed the port to be sold off to ...

NT government signed the lease not Federal.

#29 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:25 PM

If my memory is correct? Dan sold Victoria's docks to them too? :<_<:

#30 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:52 AM

If you don't like what is going on with trade, foreign investment, the environment etc email some politicians.

There are a lot of petitions these days from groups like change.org and although a lot just gain some signatures some make a difference and when enough people put their names on it the government eventually listens. Might seem like a waste of time but if you have the opportunity it might help to sign the anti foreign interference and foreign investment petitions

Although mostly I feel like it is a waste of time for some reason I still email my local MP, NSW premier etc when I have something to say. If enough people do it change will eventually happen, if the 10,000 BLM protesters emailed politicians and put their names on the cause I think it would have more impact on the politicians rather than a face in a crowd. I am due to email the NSW premier to let her know that although she thinks we can't build quality ferries in Australia there are some local companies doing a great job and the benefits of paying more for an Australian made product are so much greater to the whole nation and people than the cheap cost of imported.

Also you can find a politician you like (I know that's hard, maybe dislike less than others) and support them. I don't know much about this lady but she has some of the same ideas that are spoken about in this topic

https://www.lambiene...igninterference

I saw a truck during the week headed to Sydney with axles for trains on it and wondered/hoped they were made in Australia.

I agree with a lot of what is said above and think it is mad to sell off our raw materials to then buy back the products it is used for.

Have a good weekend

#31 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

Maybe we need more Pauline Hanson’s in government and less Penny Wong’s?

#32 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

Attached File  Got balls.jpg   87.51K   7 downloads

Edited by S pack, 05 September 2020 - 12:25 PM.

#33 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 05 September 2020 - 06:58 PM

Maybe we need more Pauline Hanson’s in government and less Penny Wong’s?

Not that i like Penny, but seriously, Pauline is all piss & wind, liberal to the core & hasn't had any balls for 20 years. People need to start seeing that. I wouldn't say that any of them would step out of line at all, unfortunately ! Scotty from marketing is finally starting to get brave enough to question the chinese, only because trumpy will. There's chinese stuff everywhere in shops, which is a big problem, as what else can people buy, when they won't wait. A lot of people function as a throw away society now.

#34 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

We need China..

We should stop pandering to what the Yanks want.  They are all cooked frOcking retards.

#35 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:46 PM

Grumpy, Pauline still says what the silent majority of Australians think.

Unfortunately we are a pretty apathetic mob in general.

Thats why the moronic minorities get pandered to.

They make the noise and get listened to.

The leftards even have paid protestors that attend rallies all over the country.

They make up a good percentage of those in attendance.

They dont necessarily believe in what they are protesting, they get paid to be there.

At some rallies/protests they even get bonuses for causing trouble and being arrested.

Ive seen people spreading the word for change petitions.

I just see them as another mob wanting my email address to add more spam.

Or do they do what they say?

If there is proof that the petitions get tabled in parliament, I might sign a few.

Cheers

Rob

#36 u1 71

u1 71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Name:peter
  • Car:torana

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:56 PM

Agreed ,Pauline says what we all think but does little about it then sides with the party that got her incarcerated

#37 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:25 PM

Nothing is going to happen and it is only going to get worse

China does not need to invade Australia as they own most of it anyway 

RegardSS .... Barry

#38 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:11 PM

Who was the big shot that requested an investigation into the virus ? What a wanker. Did we have to be the first country to request an investigation ? As if there wasn't going to be an investigation. Really , who ever it was needs to be shot. Anyone know who asked the question. This has placed the whole of Australia in this position. Yes we need to stop buying made in china stuff. I also think the whole world needs to BOMB china at the same time. There a crazy bunch of war heads, just look at there parades. Nut cases. They need to be wiped of the face of this earth. They will always be about war and its never going to stop. So was it Julie Bishop (I need to be heard) who thought someone has to ask the question ? . Rainman

#39 Chips

Chips

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Car:LX hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:31 PM

lol. that's all too hard for me to take in. I'm Australian born with Scottish & Chinese parents lived in England a whole lot currently stuck there cos the most watching and suppressive govt in history -Aust govt won't let me back. I also like and would highly recommend going to China and USA on holiday but maybe somehow having said that Mexico and France and Japan are my favorites. from that China point of view China is so far advanced, bullet trains is standard where aus has none and uk has 1 kind of speedy one that's always broken, everyone buys there on mobile even 20c dumplings on street vendor on the mobile, scooters all been electric for the past 20 years, last time there just over 3 years ago i only saw 2 petrol scooters in a land of zillions of scooters so we probably gotta get used to it and appreciate their lead. esp v usa which is based on a dog eat dog consumption model.

#40 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:30 AM

I can see why a (fairly recently) emerged super economy like China would demand respect from the rest of the world after being seen as semi third world for the last couple of hundred years, but respect has to go both ways.

#41 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:33 PM

China has almost double the CO2 output of the US so all those scooters aren't doing that much and buying dumplings by phone doesn't thrill me, I like cash. We do have transport issues here but really that's all about how much tax is not paid by big corporations and how much is wasted by government.

But blaming China is pointless. Western companies moved their manufacturing plants to China, China didn't instigate it.Since the industrial era got going the problem has been 'the internationalists', global bankers and their cronies with no loyalty to any nation. They're the ones who decided to move all the manufacturing to the Third World.

#42 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:53 PM

An interesting thought expressed on Sunday with Macca this morning about why Australia's manufacturing has dwindled.

The view point of the caller suggested that countries with a thriving manufacturing industry also have relatively flat or negative population growth. He used Korea (the accessible one) as an example.

He went on to say that Australia's population growth requires such focus on building infrastructure and housing (to the degree of an extra Adelaide every 2.5 years) that so much of the labour force is required to sustain that continuous growth that little is left for manufacturing.

I'll paraphrase a bit about his conclusion...
Our attention to growth has become an endless storm of our own making that feeds itself to the point of being detremental to our own existence.(self sufficiency)

A lot like gluttony and/or obesity I guess. Over consumption whether food, alcohol, or cheap clothes and plastic household goods is going to be trouble in the long term.

I do my part by never going to K-mart. Now there's a pile of disposable imported short term products. Wow what a waste of human life producing that mindless garbage for the mindless first world consumer. Chilling.

#43 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:02 PM

An interesting thought expressed on Sunday with Macca this morning about why Australia's manufacturing has dwindled.

Ahhh Macca. The ABC's last bastion of not entirely left wing commentary.  :)

#44 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Name:JASO
  • Car:4/73 LJ XU-1. Adelaide build, Sunburst. 1963 EH Premier. Brisbane build, Portsea Blue.
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:08 PM

Buy Aldi 😝

#45 Brysie

Brysie

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Name:Bryan
  • Car:LJ

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:20 PM

A lot of Australian manufacturing loss can be attributed to Gough Whitlam signing the Lima Declaration. Apparently It was suppose to move about 30% of our manufacturing industry to developing nations, some economists have estimated it to be closer to 90%. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users