BW diff shock to calliper clearance question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

G'day torana brains trust,

Might be a simple question this one, regarding calliper clearance from the shock mount.

I had a BW78 made up for my LH torana by a diff builder, I was told he used a VN housing that has been shortened, and commodore discs fitted with matching callipers.

After looking at the diff at length at home, I can see there will be clearance issues from the rear of the calliper and the shock mount. What's the best fix for this? I've read in other posts on here that swapping the backing plates is one solution (making the callipers front mounted) however I cannot see how to make the handbrake work if I make that swap.

I was also told to grind clearance into the calliper but I can assure you I wont be doing that as there looks like there is heaps to take off and grind callipers seems very risky.

Any and all help appreciated

Attached Files

#2 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

It’s a bit late now but if the ends of the tubes are rotated 30 degrees or so before welding then that’s enough. You can make the handbrake work with swapping the backing plates but you need to swap individual bits of the handbrake assembly as well so that your cables still work from a front pull orientation. This is what I did to mine.

#3 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:19 PM

Is your diff standard length?

Mine is the same setup but 50mm wider (did that to make Commodore wheels fit, not a great choice) and it fits. I do have to remove the caliper and loosen the backing plate to fit the shock on.

I have considered mounting the shock on top of the bracket with a U shaped saddle but it could require a shorter shock.

#4 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:19 PM

Hi Daniel.  I am running Commodore rear discs and what I did was:

cut off the original shock mounts

get 2 Commodore shock mounts and had them welded onto the diff tube but higher up at the time my diff was being built.  From memory I went up 40mm.  I looked at mounting them on the trailing arm bracket like others have done but I felt it bought the shock inboard too much and I was going to get clearance issues at the inner guard.

I switched the calipers over

I swapped over the dust covers and at the same time I drilled out the brake line mounts in them and had them rewelded opposite as I also didn't want to change the hand lines. Also swapped over the hand brake brackets form memory. I had to get a set of commodore to Torana hand brake lines (got them from Auto Cables from memory)

I wouldn't say clearance is great but I believe sufficient. The only thing I think I will need to change is the actual shocks.  I explained to the shock jock what I had done and he gave me a set of Chevelle ones (I think) which he said should have sufficiently less travel.  I don't think that is the case.

I will get you a pic when I can tomorrow. One caveat, I wouldn't take my word alone for it as I'm not the most mechanically minded but I can't see any issues although the car isn't running yet.

Sorry Rexy I was typing as you were commenting.  Sounds like similar process. Cheers Ron 

Edited by Cook, 26 September 2020 - 06:21 PM.

#5 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:36 PM

Yeah the diff housing itself has been shortened.

So i had a punt myself this evening and swapped the backing plates/callipers from side to side, then removed the handbrake assemblies and swapped those around so they still pulled in the same direction.
Calliper now mounted to the front and everything is sweet as far as the clearance from the shock is concerned.

Only conundrum to overcome now is the handbrake. I dont believe from looking at it that I need to use a mount on the backing plate, I should be able to come up with another solution shouldn't I?

#6 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:07 AM

HQ length dampers using the different mount as above is one option. If you haven't already bought yours then this could work as there seems to be a bit more choice in the slightly shorter lengths.

DSCN0022.jpg

The park brake cable bracket can be swapped to pull the other direction with just a little clearancing of the bracket and dust shield, a couple of photos here:

http://www.gmh-toran...-6#entry1048959

(scroll down a bit further to see the return spring bracket too)

#7 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:59 AM

Quick bit of clarity, diff has already been purchased, however I may still take it back to make changes should I find a problem I can't work around. Diff has been shortened as I have billet 31 spline torana pattern axles fitted and the width is to match the banjo its replacing, I wanted to keep the wheels I have currently on the car, this was the only way to achieve this. 

I'm trying to avoid moving mounting points too much or changing them from standard just for the moment, again if I cannot find another solution then I'll go back to the diff builder with changes.

Ok so I spent an hour this morning mocking everything up and I think I've found a way to modify the handbrake bracket to fit it just behind the caliper, allowing me to use a torana-commodore handbrake cable, but without it being mounted and in the car I'm not 100% sure that I will clear the caliper....what's everyones thoughts? Anything I'm not considering? Excuse the crude mark ups haha

Attached Files

#8 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:05 AM

To add clarity to the last pic, thinking of cutting along the line marked, removing that extra material. The drilling a hole to utilise that existing bolt on the backing plate and then attaching the lower part of the mount to the splash guard/shield thing....providing that will be strong enough

#9 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:09 PM

Hi Daniel.  Here's some pics of mine.  Hope that helps.  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#10 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:21 PM

Sorry Daniel I gave you a bit of a bum steer.  Having looked at some old photos I remember now that when I got the brake mount bracket off the dust cover I mounted it on the trailing arm bracket, not back on the dust cover.  Here's a pic.  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

The drilling a hole to utilise that existing bolt on the backing plate and then attaching the lower part of the mount to the splash guard/shield thing....providing that will be strong enough

Probably not ideal strength-wise. Use the caliper mounting bolt, see my link above

#12 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:28 PM

Thanks Ron, looks like the caliper mounts differently on yours (lower than mine), if I leave the caliper mounted on the backside of the disc then its definitely going to foul on the shock

#13 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:31 PM

Probably not ideal strength-wise. Use the caliper mounting bolt, see my link above

Oh thats perfect! Didn't spot that earlier for some reason.
Clearance for the cable from the caliper is all good you find?

#14 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:36 AM

Yes clearance is fine since neither really moves in relation to the other. You'll notice the bracket is on a bit more of an angle but seems to still pull the lever no problem.

#15 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:12 AM

Yes clearance is fine since neither really moves in relation to the other. You'll notice the bracket is on a bit more of an angle but seems to still pull the lever no problem.

Nice, thats a relief.

Did you use one of the aftermarket torana to commodore disc cables I see on eBay?

#16 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

No I'm going to use the VN cables but I've made new brackets at the rear (see same thread above) and will be re-routing with custom (yet to be made) brackets at the front too

Edited by 76lxhatch, 28 September 2020 - 10:05 AM.

#17 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

I did this to the old LX sedan and hatch a while back. The sedan was Torana pattern and the hatch HQ.

I think there was a theory that the wagon handbrake cable was longer than the sedan one?

While I didn’t have a problem with axle slop that might have been dumb luck. Both conversions were on nine inch diffs which probably had disc brake seals fitted when they were built.

“Perhaps not bolt on but certainly not hard.
Did this recently to the LX sedan.
Went to wreckers and bought complete rear brakes off a VS wagon ie backing plates, calipers, discs, handbrake cable and rear brake lines.
Had torana pattern drilled onto discs (apparently this is fine and was done by romack UPC in melbourne).

Pulled old brakes off.
Bolted commodore backing plate to diff flange (same bolt pattern)
Add disc.
Bolt up calipers.
Add brake lines with ends changed to suit ($5 by the local brake place as couldnt find my flaring tool). Had to use the long orig torana line and one of the commodore ones to get lengths right.
Bleed brakes.
Add handbrake cable. Find out it is tantalisingly close but slightly too short to meet torana threaded rod.
Weld 4inch long piece of flat steel to commodore handbrake cable front grabber and bend end of flat at 90%. Drill hole. Add nuts x2 and adjust.

Total cost:
Wrecker bits $140
Redrill discs $40 for both
Redo lines $5
Make longer front handbrake "pickup" - zero (scrap from shed pile)
Brake fluid $5
= $190

Total time including retrieving bits from pick a part - about three hours.

The braking is much improved over the well adjusted torana drums.

Has the unexpected bonus of giving a somewhat firmer more confidence inspiring pedal feel.

If I had realised how painless it was I would have done it years ago.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users