SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:06 PM

Hi All, 

So in my other HZ build thread I mentioned that I took a break to focus on this wagon, here is the story:

One of my mates in my car club had bought this car as a non-runner, the engine had a death knock and the car was a bit of a mess. You could tell that back in it's day, it had had some love poured into it.

It had a colour change respray and had been done right, inside all the doors and under the carpets were also sprayed and there was no indication of the original factory colour apart from the Tags, It was a gold car from factory.The new colour was Ford Everglade green from the EA/EB falcon era. The paint was quality, though it had lots of scratches and chips. I knew a decnt clean up and some minor repairs would see this thing back to a level where it can mix it with other shiny cars at cruise meets and other low key events. It wouldn't be a show car, but it could be a tidy cruiser.

It had a 350 Chev with Fuel injection from a Gen 3 Camaro and Dual Fuel LPG. This had been engineered back in 1998 and all the papers cam with the car. It had an Alarm, central locking, and what I think might have been either Dealer fitted AirCon or just plain aftermarket. The control panel for the Air Con was a push button vacuum controlled setup like none I'd seen before. 

It also looked to have all the fruit from factory, Roof racks, All chrome trims, Electric Tailgate and windows, Woodgrain dash trim, Power steer. The Tags indicated it was a 308 / Turbo 400 car too. 

The guy I bought it off had pulled the engine down and got in over his head. he lost motivation and wanted out, so I came along and offered a pretty low amount to scoop up the basket case and inherit his headaches!

It also came with some mis matching interior, most of it was black Premier trim in average conditiion, with GTS front seats for some reason. Also came with a couple of centre consoles, some spare 

SO.... I dragged it out of his shed looking like this: 

Attached Files

• Attached File  w6.jpg   300.16K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  w5r.jpg   287.17K   4 downloads

#2 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:13 PM

I got the car home and first job was to give it a massive clean and sort out what I didn't need. 

My plan was to make the car simple, cut out all the extra accessories that no longer work, such as the Air Con, EFI, Alarm and central locking.

Basically revert it back to stock-ish, carby, simple and easy to maintain. I sold off the injection gear and threw the LPG gear in the bin as it was beyond selling.

I also sold the Air Con kit, it was all there and could be reco'd for someone who was keen enough. I sourced a stock heater and controls for a fraction of what I sold the A/C kit for.

I also sold off the GTS seats and replaced them with stock kingswood seats which I would later get re-trimmed in the std Prem trim. The spare centre consoles which I didn't need also got sold off.

I made almost $1500 back selling off parts which almost covered my costs to rebuild the engine! (I only paid for light machine work and sourced parts at trade cost)

here she is after a clean, windscreen replacement, and chucking on the stockies off my other HZ: looking a million times better already! 

Attached Files

• Attached File  w14.jpg   311.44K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  w15.jpg   315.83K   4 downloads

Edited by SHEEL, 07 October 2020 - 04:14 PM.

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:14 PM

Send me tag details, will see if there is anything special about it.

#4 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:28 PM

So the first real big job was engine. I sent the block off to get crack tested and measured up all the major internals looking for any signs of where the knock was coming from. The bottom end was cleared of any major issues, 2 push rods were bent - thats it!

The engine shop linished the crank, gave the block a quick hone and re-seated the valves in the heads. During this time we researched the numbers cast into the block, and some tell tale signs on the heads and crank to identify exactly wat we had. Turns out the Block was a 327 block from a 60's Corvette, the crank and rods were 350ci from an 80's truck and the Heads were "Fuelly" heads, which are just fuel injection heads likely from the same 3rd gen Camaro that the injection system appeared to be from. The pistons were TRW Forged Dome tops with valve relief cast in. So the engine had a few nice bits! bonus!!!

We assembled it with Speed Pro rings and bearings, ARP head bolts, new timing chain, the engine shop also sold me a cheap "tow cam" which would give me a little bit more mid range poke.

We threw it all together and I also spent some time modifying brackets to mount the Alternator and Power steering pump nice and low so everything looked neat.

I installed a reco 3 core radiator and twin thermo's from a BA Falcon. I also sourced some 4-1 extractors, an Edelbrock single Plain low-rise manifold, a Holley 650 Vac sec Carby which was near new. and a new Street Pro (MSD budget line) All in one HEI Dizzy, and 10mm Leads.

I dressed it up with some Chinese shiny bits and modified the aircleaner and underside of the bonnet for clearance so it all fit under the bonnet

Attached Files

• Attached File  w7.jpg   180.53K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w8.jpg   195.53K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w9.jpg   205.74K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w10.jpg   244.52K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w11.jpg   216.02K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w12.jpg   212.87K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w13.jpg   289.88K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w43.jpg   265.29K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w50.jpg   62.18K   2 downloads

Edited by SHEEL, 07 October 2020 - 04:37 PM.

#5 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:33 PM

Send me tag details, will see if there is anything special about it.

It's sold already, it's ok I deciphered the tags using the internets

it was contessa gold, Premier, 308, T400, 10 bolt non LSD, Buckskin/brown interior

thanks though

#6 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:42 PM

I thought it may have been an internal car, sometimes those fully loaded things were.

#7 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:48 PM

Next I turned my attention to the interior.

The Dash had a crack so I swapped it out for a non cracked one, it also had some aftermarket gauges for oil press, volts, etc which none of it worked so I sourced a stock temp/fuel gauge and replaced them.

The seats were sent to the trimmer for some love. The fronts were completely retrimmed, the rear seat was ok and just needed some minor repairs.

The door cards were trashed, so he knocked me up some tidy stock themed trims, I didn't really mind if they weren't exact factory spec, I just wanted neat period correct style.

I got some rare spares repo short armrests and keen eyes might spot that I relocated the front windows switches into the door card instead of being mounted into the arm rests. This was just done to keep the budget under control. I knew I was selling the car so just wanted it to be neat and tidy and cheap.

I made a new rear floor section and laid new carpet in the cargo space whilst tidying up the metal rib pieces.

at this point I also pulled out all the Glass and electric windows motors and cleaned and serviced all the mechanisms. the windows all worked but were really struggling. after a service they all flew up and down like a new car! that was well worth the effort.

The Tailgate window was difficult but needed it most as it was barely working.

I also sourced a standard steering wheel to replace the shocking and work aftermarket unit.

no before pics of the interior but here is the end result:

Attached Files

• Attached File  w38.jpg   170.19K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  w39.jpg   189.42K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w37.jpg   160.46K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w42.jpg   231.04K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w40.jpg   190.08K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w41.jpg   192.74K   3 downloads

#8 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:24 PM

Turned out really nice, well done.

I liked my HZ Vacationer wagon.

#9 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:48 PM

I absolutely love these things. I grew up in one with my dad having a HZ Premier that we would do Summernats with every year in the 90s through to early 2000s. Had a 454 Big block and was absolutely gorgeous. If I ever have enough play money in my lifetime I'd love to get one for myself just for the memories. 

Yours is such a clean specimen for a quick flip build. Great looking car.

Heres a couple of pics of my old mans.

Attached File  833_37263474423_9471_n.jpg   27.81K   3 downloads

Attached File  833_37263464423_8907_n.jpg   67.32K   4 downloads

#10 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:44 PM

Next comes some minor rust repairs, there were 3 main area's to address, one was the back of the Rad support, I didn't take any pics of that but it was basically just a square patch section welded in and painted black.

The rear Passenger door and lower "dog leg" on the drivers side needed some major attention.

the rear door got a lower repair skin from rare spares. It fit ok, I wasn't thrilled with the way it only goes straight on the curved edge at the panel gap - you'll see in the pics, I filed that gap as much as I dared to improve it without cutting through to the door shell. it wasn't perfect in the end but it was pretty neat. Enough for a weekend cruiser.

I had decided to take advantage of the chrome trim and you'll see I colour matched some paint and painted up to the trim piece. When I cut the old section out it was full of bog, the old door skin was pretty banged up underneath. I worked it a little bit to allow for a bit less bog going back in! I wasn't willing to bare metal the whole door so unfortunately it still got more bog treatment than I'm normally willing to accept!  

Anyway, it did come up pretty good in the end:

Attached Files

• Attached File  w16.jpg   293.48K   5 downloads
  • Attached File  w17.jpg   190.19K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w18.jpg   222.17K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  w19.jpg   178.7K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w20.jpg   123.12K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w21r.jpg   153.18K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w23.jpg   137.07K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w24.jpg   134.2K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w25.jpg   137.55K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w26.jpg   173.87K   2 downloads

#11 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:49 PM

rear door turned out pretty good, colour matched ok and most people wouldn't know it's had a repair...

For the lower dog leg I welded in a small patch and blended up the dog leg. I blended by "soft masking" the colour coats of paint, then soft masked the clear about a half inch further up, over the existing paint.

Attached Files

• Attached File  w28.jpg   245.14K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w29.jpg   281.57K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w30.jpg   192.8K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w31.jpg   125.36K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  w32.jpg   116.81K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  w33.jpg   126.17K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  w34.jpg   235.76K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  w36.jpg   182.74K   1 downloads

#12 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:55 PM

And the finished product:

All in it owed me about $8k, and I sold it for $23k, I spent about 200 hours working on it, so basically I earnt $75 per hour tinkering. not too bad I thought..

Attached Files

• Attached File  W1.jpg   302.57K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  w3.jpg   319.21K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  w44.jpg   334.59K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  w45.jpg   292.16K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  w48.jpg   245.72K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  w49r.jpg   361.24K   2 downloads

Edited by SHEEL, 07 October 2020 - 08:59 PM.

#13 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:18 PM

And for 23k I recon the buyer is now very pleased with his purchase.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

#14 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:35 AM

And for 23k I recon the buyer is now very pleased with his purchase.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

And if he's not i'd gladly give him his money back!  :D

That's definitely a tidy old girl! :spoton:

#15 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:17 AM

Had a fully optioned HJ (?) for awhile untill it ran out of rego...took 308/th400 out of it then a wrecker bought roller for 3k no haggling.I was shocked.

Attached Files

#16 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

Looks awesome Daniel.  :spoton:

#17 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:39 PM

It sold about 3 years ago. At the time $23k was a fair price, both the buyer and I knew it'd be worth over $30k within 5 years easy. Makes it easier to sell thats for sure.

I'd have kept it myself but selling also meant I got to pay off all my credit cards then chop them up. $15k gained on a car is only a once in a lifetimde moment for some, so I was pretty stoked with what I achieved and was happy for the buyer knowing its a solis investment, a win / win for all involved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users