New Member ideas for Black highlights.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _Kaycee_

_Kaycee_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:21 PM

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and only just acquired my LX Torana SS hatch. I was wondering what the preference is with painting the bonnet as some are painted black within say 1/2 inch of guard and some over the top of guard and about 1/2inch down side and back to the mirror. Also whether painting the bib between rear lights black is common practice. Also gloss or mat for the bonnet.

#2 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:38 PM

On a factory ss there is now black out on the bonnet, apart from an A9X optioned car. It's black around the windows inside the trim area's though & that's semi gloss black. Post up some photos of the area's that you need to ask about, it may help out. You could either Google original lx ss hatchback photos, or try finding promotional photos from when they where new.

No black out, i meant to write, long day !

#3 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:10 AM

Have a look at lots of pics and decide what you like, it’s your car after all!

Unless you are trying to do a perfect restoration/recreation of original it doesn’t matter. No right or wrong!

Here is one version.

Attached File  D9EBF6DE-47F2-4C90-A8FD-FD1A4451D71E.jpeg   144.09K   10 downloads

I like gloss. I think matte looks crap. But that’s just me....

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:02 AM

Matte looks amazing (in a blackout, not for a whole car paintjob!), but you really don't want to maintain it over time. Gloss is a pretty easy choice for most people.

If you have the brightwork on the side, I think it's nice to keep the blackout within the brightwork as per the factory (SL, SS, or A9X hatch)

If you don't have the brightwork on the side (like rexy's car above) then the LX SL/R style blackout is pretty tempting. Or a more L34 style arrangement with stripes down the side but no black bonnet - that's also nice.

Black on the back of a hatch looks a bit odd I reckon if it has flares (and presumably rear spoiler). Without the kit, they're nice either way.

The worst part of the blackout options has to be the blacked out sills. Yuck. They shouldn't be on anything lol.

Edited by Heath, 30 November 2020 - 08:03 AM.

#5 _Kaycee_

_Kaycee_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:10 PM

Thank you folks for your comments and ideas. I will study some internet pics as suggested to view different ideas.

Regards KC

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:52 PM

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and only just acquired my LX Torana SS hatch. I was wondering what the preference is with painting the bonnet as some are painted black within say 1/2 inch of guard and some over the top of guard and about 1/2inch down side and back to the mirror. Also whether painting the bib between rear lights black is common practice. Also gloss or mat for the bonnet.

I'm confused here, did you not ask for the correct paint for a SS hatch, stating that your car was a genuine SS hatch ? If so, wouldn't you be still looking for the "correct" way to paint it ????

There's ways to keep low gloss clean and looking good, it's just more often & a little more work.

#7 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:21 PM

Personally I read it as a general enquiry about what people liked.

PITA owning anything with a matte finish. Few big bird bowel movements and you will wish you had gone gloss.

#8 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:10 AM

Your car Kevin.

Do whatever you want.

Unless you are building it up to flip it, its whatever floats your boat.

However.

There will always be some that wont like what you do.

You will upset some whatever your decision, especially on the faceache groups.

So many morons on facebook, I only use it to get a laugh each day.

Cheers

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users