LJ Air Conditioning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _DrBill_

_DrBill_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:14 PM

I have just finished fitting aircon in my LJ Rally car. It was a mission to find a unit that looked factory fitted but I think the end result is ok. The install needs 2 holes through the fire wall (for hoses) but otherwise uses existing holes. If you would like some pics let me know

#2 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:41 PM

Hi Bill, I'm pretty sure that someone definitely will appreciate some photo's & brands ect. Good idea mate.

#3 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:26 AM

I would be interested for sure

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:56 AM

There was no factory-fitted or factory option air conditioning for LJ Toranas.

The closest thing would be the Smiths custom under dash unit which was offered as a dealer fitted accessory.

I have a similar unit (made by Mark IV) in my LJ.

Dr Terry

#5 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:14 PM

I put one of those mark iv things under glove box in my XU1 back in the 70s. Trick was mounting the ccompressor above the fuel pump. Worked pretty well, especially for girls in passenger seat

#6 _DrBill_

_DrBill_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2020 - 04:15 PM

Used right hand side switch binnacle on left, put a AFR gauge in column hole.

Ducting lives behind binnacle, centre vents have maximum flow, vents in binnacle have reduced flow so as not to freeze the passenger.

All parts from Auto Aer, universal condenser, receiver drier, and 2100 btu under dash unit.

Used Auto Aer Holden 6 compressor bracket, modified to take the Sanden compact compressor. Currently running the Auto Aer front pulley but feel it overdrives the compressor (too fast at race speeds, perfect for around town). Will turn up a smaller diameter front pulley in the near future.

14 Degrees at the vents on a 35 degree day, slight decrease in engine coolant temp secondary to the condenser electric fan.

I am going to do another binnacle and move the standard heater/vent controls to the left binnacle and fit a vent in the right binnacle where the heater/vent controls were.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users