#1 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:34 AM

Each State is different . Each Club is different . 

I have 2 issues with the QLD model , but there is also a lot that is pleasing .

#1 : School formals / weddings . We can only use the car to transport 'immediate' family . So if you don't have any kids ; but take a nephew / niece under your wing ( perhaps even raise them ) ; they don't qualify . The whole idea of Club rego was to get these rolling history lessons back on the road & seen . I can't think of a better way to showcase these cars to the next generation than by using them for formals ! 

I understand the frustrations from limo businesses & while this rule might work ok in a metropolitan setting , it is impractical for the rural people . There just aren't enough limo's in rural towns /cities to ferry 150 school kids . So what are they supposed to do ? All arrive in taxis ? How memorable would that be ? 

#2 : Club accountability . Everybody in a Club would know atleast 1 member who joined solely to access Club rego . Once they get it you never see them again . My Club issues annual membership cards . Get pulled over without it & the Police are within their rights to issue a fine & cancel your rego on the spot. Our members are all aware of this . As a dating officer i am obligated to inform all SIVS applicants of this . 

The problem is when a Club member with SIVS leaves the Club & joins another Club , or fails to renew their membership , the original Club is not notified . While Clubs have the authority to issue SIVS , they don't have the authority to remove it . This permits someone to run around without accountability until their existing Club membership expires . For Eg, If i leave Club A & join Club B i don't have to fill out another SIVS application . So if I get caught doing something stupid , which Club am I going to say i am in ? 

This can lead to Clubs getting a bad reputation & attracting unwanted attention . 

Clubs do however have an avenue to report inactive members to their insurance providers . These guys are quick to cancel policies . So if you switch Clubs , don't forget to inform your insurance providers . 

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:57 AM

The addition of "Impromptu Events" has opened usage up a lot now in Qld. For me personally regarding the wedding/formal thing, I dont participate in any of that as I dont want to commit to a date and have to cancel due to weather/breakdowns etc. I dont mind the formal drop offs etc, but I do think back to my own graduation and I drove myself there in the 1967 Morris Cooper S that I restored myself... and still own today... I dont know any young kids these days that have that interest.... 

Edited by hanra, 01 December 2020 - 12:04 PM.

#3 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:31 PM

"My Club issues annual membership cards . Get pulled over without it & the Police are within their rights to issue a fine & cancel your rego on the spot."

I wasn't aware of this, interesting.
Must be hard for national clubs to keep up with all the different state rules.

#4 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:37 PM

Join the ASRF.

They don’t have any stupid ideas about running your life for you. True supporters of older cars and rods.

#5 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:58 PM

or just pay for full rego which is what I did cause I want the freedom to drive it when I want and where ever I want and not worry about looking in my mirror for Dept of Transport Officers who are far worse than coppers (Qld). Also if you have a crash in a 100K old car I'm sure the Insurance companies will have a close look at whether you are in compliance with your relevant club rego restrictions. 

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:03 PM

Club reg here in Vic (in my opinion - for my situation and lifestyle) is the best thing ever. The only negative component being the fact we have to wear the crappy number plates. It shattered me to lose my custom plates, but then after a while it's not something you even notice anymore. Besides that, if you do the right thing and fill out your log book (which isn't exactly hard) - then it's happy days. Drive wherever and whenever you want. And save a tonne of money in the process...

Rewind 5 to 10 years and I was paying 4 full rego's and 4 lots of insurance (my toy car + daily driver, and my missus' toy car + daily driver). That was murder on the wallet - literally beyond ridiculous. So I put the 2 toy cars onto the CPS scheme. Factoring in that insurance costs also decrease, this is putting something like $16,000 BACK INTO MY POCKET every decade. No one can sit there and say that's not significant. Imagine people who have even more cars!!!

Further - I know car clubs are not everybody's cup of tea (and of course there are good and bad clubs) - but seriously if you can find a good club and embrace it - you can then be surrounded by other like minded petrol heads, with cruises, events, shows, race days to attend and a great excuse to get out of the house and take the car out. It can become an entire lifestyle depending on how much you choose to buy in. Once again, for me - all positives. Without the club stuff, I wouldn't get out and about with the car anywhere near as much as I do (not to mention how much free stuff we get too - free entry to events, free roast lunches etc etc... cars and food - winning!

Anyway, I don't want to ramble - but just to finish up - being quite a purist/enthusiast and coming from that club type of background over the past 20 years - I do cringe when I see workvans and sh*tboxes on the scheme. I know the rules allow it, but to me, that is against the original intent of the scheme. But it is what it is now. I'll just continue to enjoy it for myself and reap the benefits as long as I can.

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:16 PM

I wish we had a club rego scheme in QLD the same as what you have in Victoria. Until we do I will keep my Torana on full rego.

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:55 PM

I just put the Caddy on club rego

I joined the Triumph car club of all places

So now its $62 per year... rather than near $1000

Its parked up anyway and I rarely use it

But with the '404" rego scheme I can use it for impromptu runs and personal use as well as tuning runs and club events

Which I won't atm

They are rewriting the rule book here in WA so we will have 2 schemes

404 for stock std cars or period mods

C4C - Concession for classics... which is still in the works to come in next year (for modified vehicles)

Will give you 30 personal/tuning days and 60 club days

They are changing some of the 404 rules to reflect the C4C ... won't know till it all comes out next year

Wait and see I guess

I have 4 cars and a bike rego/insurance.... while I like keeping the cars on full rego...I put the Caddy on 404 to just sit for a year while I won't be using it

#9 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:06 AM

That WA scheme is very similar to NSW.

The "60 Days" personal use clause in NSW, on top of virtually unlimited club runs means that there is very little restriction on use. ( apart from driving it to work each day etc).

The inconvenience of filling out the Club logbook, or Personal use log book,
(there are 2  in NSW) before each use is negligable. 

As is having your club card and "Certificate of Approved Operations" in the glovebox.

Reckon every time I fill out one of the logbooks ( 1 minute max) is saves me a Carton in rego fees.....don't see a problem.

Lets's just hope we don't see it all unravel due to idiots putting 30 y.o utes on the scheme and using them for daily business, and or the supercharger through the bonnet bonnet brigade who are really just saying  "look at me" I'm driving a car that doesn't meet the rules.

The 30 year old ute crew may have just been slowed a little with the just announced changes to the physical logbooks, and the supercharger boys are that obvious, they should be sorted pretty easily if and when the authorities choose. i.e. the cars look tough as, but just don't belong on the Historic/Classic scheme.

All in all, a good system that allows us to use our old jiggers and not pay squillion for rego and greenslips that are rarely used.  IMHO

Edited by RallyRed, 02 December 2020 - 06:07 AM.

#10 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:32 AM

Yeah it would be good if QLD could have a set number of days of free use. I mean you can only drive an old car for a handful of months of the year up here as it’s too hot and wet. So you’d be lucky to get 60 days of use in the space of a year.

#11 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:09 AM

We are about to get a second concessional scheme here in the ACT. This is much like VIC and NSW and for cars that are not totally stock. I may look into that when it happens but now after having not been part of a club for a few years, will find it hard to go back to one to be eligible for it.

#12 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:28 AM

My Club is really good . Only takes 2 cars to qualify as a Club run .

I had our constitution amended last year to include SIVS access for members 2nd (or 3rd , or 4th) cars  regardless of brand . 

Personally i'm glad that QLD didn't adopt the log book scheme . The restrictions (hardly) suit me . 15k's from home in any direction at any time for testing /tuning , buying parts etc means that I can go basically anywhere in town . If i want to go further it isn't a problem . 

I've only been pulled over once ( the car 3 times ) & being on SIVS was never mentioned . 

It sucks that my southern friends can't use their personal plates . Maybe band together & write to the State Government . 

#13 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:30 AM

Everyone seems to like the new SA scheme. Club membership is through the roof. I think if you've got multiple cars it is a good way to go. About to have one on the road, I'm debating whether it's worth it. Any legal modifications are acceptable and you can drive 90 days per year. I think you only pay the insurance component.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#14 muppet501st

muppet501st

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name:Ken
  • Car:LH

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:52 AM

I had our constitution amended last year to include SIVS access for members 2nd (or 3rd , or 4th) cars  regardless of brand . 

Personally i'm glad that QLD didn't adopt the log book scheme . The restrictions (hardly) suit me . 15k's from home in any direction at any time for testing /tuning , buying parts etc means that I can go basically anywhere in town . If i want to go further it isn't a problem . 

I've only been pulled over once ( the car 3 times ) & being on SIVS was never mentioned . 

It sucks that my southern friends can't use their personal plates . Maybe band together & write to the State Government . 

I agree, i take my cars out for testing, dont usually go further than 5ks, so it suits me very well. 
But for people like my old man, lives rural, 25ks from a small town, the log book system would be ideal. 

#15 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:52 PM

How could it not suit your dad ?

He can drive anywhere he wants for quotes etc ?

The 15k rule has more holes in it than Heath's 'atch. 

#16 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:55 AM

Ha ha ha. Quote of the year finalist.

I am waiting for the C4C rules to be finalised before I decide what I am doing in WA. I believe the 404 rules state that the cars need to be inspected. If I join the Combined Torana Club of WA, I need to get them the 300 kays to Perth to have someone take a look at them. Not ideal. 

#17 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LC GTR

Posted 07 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

Join the ASRF.

They don’t have any stupid ideas about running your life for you. True supporters of older cars and rods.

Agree with Rexy, I joined ASRF $110 for two years and no commitment to sell your soul to the club and attend x events per year.  The Victorian team that process the club rego applications are very helpful and responsive.  They make the process very painless.  Get your RWC, send a copy of your license, RWC, photos and details of the car and it gets processed by the guy's at ASRF and sent back to you to take to Vicroads.  Car does not need to be inspected by Vicroads it's simply take in your paperwork, RWC, pay and get your plates. https://www.asrf.org.au/membership/

It seems strange that we don't have a national club reg scheme, would make it so much easier and cheaper for everyone.  At least as a Vic it's something we got right.  So if I move to sunny QLD, I would have to get full reg.  What a pain. 

#18 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 07 December 2020 - 06:57 PM

Sounds like you get too involved in clubs and thats what ruins it for you?.... you had the constitution amended? lol

Cant believe formals and accountability are your main concerns. I would only join a club that wants nothing more than my annual membership fee.

#19 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:37 PM

I just put the Caddy on club rego

I joined the Triumph car club of all places

So now its $62 per year... rather than near $1000

Its parked up anyway and I rarely use it

But with the '404" rego scheme I can use it for impromptu runs and personal use as well as tuning runs and club events

Which I won't atm

They are rewriting the rule book here in WA so we will have 2 schemes

404 for stock std cars or period mods

C4C - Concession for classics... which is still in the works to come in next year (for modified vehicles)

Will give you 30 personal/tuning days and 60 club days

They are changing some of the 404 rules to reflect the C4C ... won't know till it all comes out next year

Wait and see I guess

I have 4 cars and a bike rego/insurance.... while I like keeping the cars on full rego...I put the Caddy on 404 to just sit for a year while I won't be using it

Combined Torana club membership fee is only $55 per year. And of course we will be offering C4C with no strings attached (no club imposed extra rules).

I am afraid we dont know much about Triumphs however..

#20 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:21 AM

How could it not suit your dad ?

He can drive anywhere he wants for quotes etc ?

If Heath's hatch passes any sort of roadworthy the inspector should be deregistered

Amazing car though

Combined Torana club membership fee is only $55 per year. And of course we will be offering C4C with no strings attached (no club imposed extra rules).

I am afraid we dont know much about Triumphs however..

I haven't been a member of CTCC for a good 15 or so years. I will be rejoining though!

#21 GTR600

GTR600

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Name:Brock
  • Car:72 LJ GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2021 - 01:37 PM

Tried to get club rego...but was rejected, 72 GTR running triple Webers..not a single Stromberg!!

...and the battery was in the boot.

#22 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:23 PM

Nice denial of natural justice.

How can your can not be compliant with the spirit and intent of this type of registration?

Time to move to Victoria - now Australia’s second leading COVID state!

#23 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:05 PM

Yeah that's wrong. What state, not that it should matter. What club then?

#24 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:10 PM

As long as it is street legal and over 30 years old it gets club rego in SA. Thanks largely to the efforts of “Stinky” Glen Stinkervis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#25 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:28 PM

As long as it is street legal

Sure. And this is usually where the fight starts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users