Rubber bushes

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:29 PM

Hi all,
Anyone had issues with the rubber press in bushes from the "hamburger kit" from Kingswood country??
Almost every one seems like internal diametre of bush is too small.
Using original suspension bolts, albeit anodised. Have even lightly sanded down shank of couple bolts to bare metal in case anodisation happened to have built up circumference therefore creating problem!
Still same, binding up halfway thru bush.
Cheap shit, close enough is good enough chinese crap??
Thoughts please, anyone used these?

Edited by JJ21, 23 December 2020 - 12:29 PM.

#2 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:34 PM

The bolts will be "plated" not "anodised". Anodising is for aluminium only, the bolts should be steel.

Electroplating adds quite a bit of thickness to the bolt.

Dr Terry

#3 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:49 PM

Ok yep, plated then.
I sanded down 2 shanks on bolts to bare metal...still binding, very tight thru some bushes

Edited by JJ21, 23 December 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#4 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:56 PM

Dr Terry, have you used the Kingswood bushes mate?
Any dramas?

#5 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:57 PM

From memory my hamburger kit had a mixture of NOS GMH bushes and Mackay Bushes in it 8-9 years ago... 

Edited by hanra, 23 December 2020 - 12:59 PM.

#6 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:58 PM

I only purchased it 4-5 months ago

#7 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:43 PM

I recent bought a kit rears are done with no issues,fronts are happening in the next month or 2.

The last one of their kits I used was about 8 years ago and went together without an issue.

My personal experience with them has been pretty good.

Both kits to suit UC torana.

#8 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:07 PM

Interesting, have not used any bushes from Kingswood, get some measurements if you can and take it up with them.

Had an issue recently with a genuine 'Mackay' front LCA bush, the rubber started to creep out from the steel housing. Had to drop the arm out again & replace. 

Not sure where their stuff us made these days, but reckon I could guess !.

#9 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:31 PM

Zinc plating, done properly anyway, should equate to around 2 thou, i have tap & die'd hundreds of bolts & nuts & had maybe 3 tight. 4 thou alround extra is just over the thickness of a sheet of a4 paper, even though the bolt should be back to it's factory diameter. To me the problem has to be in the bush inner shell.

#10 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:39 PM

Grumpy i do agree with you mate. I say that because i can pickup 1 bolt and try it in all the bushes and some only just bind up, some wont even get past the start of the shank and some go halfway thru...
I should also note that some have the rubber pushing quite a long way past the end of the steel collar, and not exactly even around the edge (like pushing out unevenly)

#11 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:49 PM

So I'm guessing that you haven't fitted them ? If so, i would try contacting resto country about the issue. I can't see them having a drama, get him to try a 7/16" bolt or whatever they are. Let them see what the problem is, so it can be addressed. All those bolts should measure pretty much the same. I wouldn't modify any fastener to suit a wrong size bush in a vehicle ect.

#12 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:05 PM

I can tell you more now that i have inspected a little better. The collar within the bushes are not a full sleave, as in they have a join...therefore anything but a true circle or round hole should i say..
No wonder theres dramas.
Unfortunately they are all pressed in to newly blasted and painted conponents..not happy!
If i can workout how to post a pic i will.

#13 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 24 December 2020 - 06:47 AM

May be able to ream them slightly with drill. Start in reverse so it doesn't catch.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#14 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2020 - 11:31 AM

I can tell you one thing theres going to be an unpleasant phone call happening today

#15 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2020 - 11:35 AM

Attached File  20201223_210116_compress37.jpg   195.69K   5 downloads

#16 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:08 PM

Maybe an optical illusion, but apart from the bush not being round it doesn't look to be in the center anyway.

#17 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:59 PM

You could very well be right mate...The more i look at them the more i am unimpressed...
Would really like to know if anyone else has used these in particular last 6 months and whether they have had similar issues

#18 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:43 PM

Take them back unacceptable 

#19 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:01 PM

Unfortunately already pressed into sandblasted and painted components...
So frOcken pissed off

#20 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

Nah that’s shit. Take back in the arm and show them. No surprise the bolts don’t fit looking at that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#21 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:19 PM

I am in Perth mate....bit hard to do that but be assured i will be sending pics to them when i can get hold of them after their xmas break

#22 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:09 PM

Originally (OEM & early replacement parts), that sleeve was solid and would have been machined - back in the day when things were made to a quality standard. And for GTS bushes the sleeve was slightly thicker so there was less rubber, making the bush a little bit stiffer.

Now they look to be pressed, no doubt because the process is quicker and cheaper- these days stuff is made to a price, and the cheaper the better as far as manufacturers are concerned!

The Mackay and Rare Spares bushes are made exactly the same way these days and the reality is they are probably all made in the same PRC factory!

Kingswood Country may well send a replacement set, or even give a refund but I'm tempted to believe you will only be shifting the problem to the next set you try,

and buggering up your suspension arms in the process. 

Obviously the bolt should go through, but it should be a neat fit, as its job when tightened up is to hold the centre sleeve firmly in place with no movement. The sleeve is not meant to be turning on the bolt; the rubber bush should be doing all the work.

So, given it sounds like the bolts 'nearly' go through, I would be assembling them and tapping the bolts through as gently as is possible. The suspension all needs to be tightened up when it is in its normal 'at rest' position, so this may have to wait until after the vehicle can do a lap around the block.

My thoughts on the problem :-)

Cheers,

JPXU1  :D

#23 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:24 PM

The rubber, is only there to absorb the suspension impact, it does not twist. The bolts should just clear as although they're tightened, the bush pivots on them, however if it was to loose, either the inner shell of the bush or the bolt would wear. They should be a neat tolerance fit & cylindrical, lube the outside of the shank. To me the inner shell should be 1 piece. They are only a re seller so they will have to pass on the evidence of the problem. Would be good to check out some of the mackay bushes to see it's not a common problem now.

#24 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:32 PM

Honestly, given where you are at with the process, I would carefully file fit each bush to suit its bolt and assemble it.

Not ideal but likely to result in the least overall harm.

#25 _JJ21_

_JJ21_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for your info guys. Yes, i agree with the way the bolt and bush work together.
The difference between the easiest bolt to push through (hammer) to the hardest bolt is huge!
Its really not good enough, and just another example of companies selling shit produced parts to us, the customers.
From what i know, companies in Aus for example will shop around multiple chinese companies to get the best deal...and we all know what happens after that..
You get what you pay for!
The problem should be the sellers, but they still make their set about profits!
Too many people just throw their hands in the air and work around using shit, which only adds to the problem where they are not held responsible..
They continually get away with it.
Its not just car parts its everything chinese made these days.

I will sort it out, i have no option!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users