Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1973 GTRXU1

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:12 PM

Hi ,

I am very new to this forum and its my first post back in the day i had a 1971 GTR but had to sell it to buy a house ,but would really like to have one again. I am looking at 1972 GTR XU1 Torana for sale at Australian Muscles Cars, would any one know any history or any thing about this beautiful dublen green metallic torana.

https://youtu.be/Lr8WW1W9c60

Thanks Tony

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:24 PM

Just be careful. So much dodgy crap goes in with these. Someone here may know the car if you are lucky.

#3 Tonyl

Tonyl

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:36 PM

Thanks mate ,i have been looking  around some wild stories out there.

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,120 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:49 PM

At least here you will know the truth about a car 

#5 Tonyl

Tonyl

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:09 PM

That's so true. 

#6 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:50 AM

A lot of the guys that look closely at these cars tend to comment in the ebay/Ads section. If you don't have much luck with info on the car here. Put a post in that area.

Alternatively there are a couple of very knowledgeable guys here you could send a PM to for help as well.

#7 Tonyl

Tonyl

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:56 AM

Thank you .

#8 _RS250_

_RS250_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:21 PM

Hi ,

I am very new to this forum and its my first post back in the day i had a 1971 GTR but had to sell it to buy a house ,but would really like to have one again. I am looking at 1972 GTR XU1 Torana for sale at Australian Muscles Cars, would any one know any history or any thing about this beautiful dublen green metallic torana.

Thanks Tony

Hi Tony,

I know this car pretty well. The current owner asked me to do a pre purchase inspection before he bought the car about 6 years ago.

He asked me because I have always been very passionate and around these cars since 1990 and trusted that I would tell it as it was......good or bad.

I found the car very honest, it's 100% genuine Aug 72 XU1 and the compliance plates had never been off the car. The engine block was a genuine JP - 100% not a restamp engine.

Most importantly, under the car was very very impressive. The car had never had a restoration (such as a rotisserie job) and no rust panels had ever been used in the floor. There is no mistaking it, you know its completely original under there!

The other thing I checked was that the front guards had never been removed off the car and I would even hedge bets its not been in an accident.

It's an honest car that with any inspection would prove what I have mentioned. It may not be showroom quality but it's definitely a solid, original and never bastardized car. I believe cars like this are in many ways much better than a restored car with a "brand new" appearance not being able to tell its past life.

The current owner went on to become a member of the NSW GTR and XU1 club so if you have any concerns with this car you can reach out to this XU1 club for verification assistance.

Feel free to message me for any guidance, if your serious about buying an XU1 then you won't be put out by inspecting this car or having a professional doing so on your behalf.

Cheers,

Sam

#9 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:58 AM

Photos form AMC

A

B

C

Period correct JP

Attached Files

#10 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

should have JP 204096 in it

JP 147384 out of L201902

#11 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:42 PM

72 LJ XU1 auction on 26/1/21 

https://www.slattery...torana-gtr-xu-1

Edited by lakeside, 17 January 2021 - 12:43 PM.

#12 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:07 PM

Hi Tony,

I know this car pretty well. The current owner asked me to do a pre purchase inspection before he bought the car about 6 years ago.

He asked me because I have always been very passionate and around these cars since 1990 and trusted that I would tell it as it was......good or bad.

I found the car very honest, it's 100% genuine Aug 72 XU1 and the compliance plates had never been off the car. The engine block was a genuine JP - 100% not a restamp engine.

Most importantly, under the car was very very impressive. The car had never had a restoration (such as a rotisserie job) and no rust panels had ever been used in the floor. There is no mistaking it, you know its completely original under there!

The other thing I checked was that the front guards had never been removed off the car and I would even hedge bets its not been in an accident.

It's an honest car that with any inspection would prove what I have mentioned. It may not be showroom quality but it's definitely a solid, original and never bastardized car. I believe cars like this are in many ways much better than a restored car with a "brand new" appearance not being able to tell its past life.

The current owner went on to become a member of the NSW GTR and XU1 club so if you have any concerns with this car you can reach out to this XU1 club for verification assistance.

Feel free to message me for any guidance, if your serious about buying an XU1 then you won't be put out by inspecting this car or having a professional doing so on your behalf.

Cheers,

Sam

No mention of the non original engine?

What do folk think this does to its value?

It looks a lot like Bohdans old car. It had a major rear repair in the late 90s early 00’s though.

#13 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:07 PM

My 5/72 JP engine is very very close to this number?, Guess this car has had a replacement block which is not unusual.

Edited by MFM, 17 January 2021 - 01:08 PM.

#14 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:34 PM

72 LJ XU1 auction on 26/1/21 

https://www.slattery...torana-gtr-xu-1

JH 248937

built 15/9/72

JP 221065

ALJ 12371-B

Body  12364-B

last sold at Lloyds auctions on 21/2/17

#15 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:54 PM

JH 248937
built 15/9/72
JP 221065
ALJ 12371-B
Body  12364-B
last sold at Lloyds auctions on 21/2/17

This 1 would be my pick.

#16 u1 71

u1 71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Name:peter
  • Car:torana

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:12 PM

It's been in a front ender nose cones been replaced is that drip check on the inside of the left quarter in the boot Gary?

Edited by u1 71, 17 January 2021 - 08:22 PM.

#17 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:01 PM

I will try and look tomorrow at the photos, if i can.

#18 EBQ

EBQ

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LJ

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:07 AM

Hi Tony,

The Dublin Green XU1 you asked about came to my attention about 6 years ago. I at the time was the Secretary of the GTR & XU1 Owners Club of NSW Inc. Prior to allowing this owner and car to join the club I was to verify its authenticity. I have no doubt that this vehicle is 100% an August built GTRXU1. The car has been known to the club due to previous members which shows a long period of history. I have read Sam's comments above and rather than re write pretty much what Sam has said I can simply concur. 

I have read other comments above about this car and I believe they are ill informed.

I am happy to answer any further questions if required by phone.

Steve. 0412 383 332

#19 Claud

Claud

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Name:Claudio
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:30 AM

Hi ,

Thanks Tony

Tony,

I have tried to send you a private message through this site to avoid the open forum circus that appears to be taking place but unfortunately for some reason I am not able to send anything to you.

I am the owner of the Dublin green car that you have enquired about and as much as I have tried to stay neutral and not respond on an open forum it appears I have no choice but to make comment before all the ill informed  associated this car to people that have never owned it and claim it to have damage in areas it has never been damaged. Unfortunately on open forums we will get people making judgment from the comfort of there own home without ever knowing the car or having first hand knowledge. If you are genuinely interested please don’t hesitate to contact Mike at Austrailan Muscle cars he will put you in touch with me directly. 
And to all the people casting negative judgment I would ask that you use discretion before making ill informed judgment. As none of you know this car so please don’t associate it with people that owned one that look like it. If you don’t know please don’t comment. 

#20 Tonyl

Tonyl

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for all of the comments , we will keep looking. 

Thanks for all of the comments , we will keep looking. 

#21 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:52 PM

I think if we all posted comprehensive photos (like the ones on this car) of our own personal cars its expected that people would find things to discuss about them. You could probably count on one hand the perfectly original (unmolested ones). 

#22 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

Claudio, the way i read the topic. The "gold car" is the 1 that someone said had, had repairs, not yours ! Unless I'm reading it wrong. I thought that the gold xu1, which i have seen before i believe was a good example, yours may well be aswell.

#23 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:11 PM

I think if we all posted comprehensive photos (like the ones on this car) of our own personal cars its expected that people would find things to discuss about them. You could probably count on one hand the perfectly original (unmolested ones). 

& it's amazing how many supposed correctly restored cars, are very far from what they are said to be for original finishes Mark, speaking in general. It takes a lot of time effort & money to get things correct.

#24 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:17 PM

I do have a winged sump exactly the same as yours though Claudio, how is it to drain the oil out of it ? Or i might run my standard xu1 sump, i like the idea of plenty of oil in the system, especially in a red engine.

#25 Claud

Claud

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Name:Claudio
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:57 PM

I do have a winged sump exactly the same as yours though Claudio, how is it to drain the oil out of it ? Or i might run my standard xu1 sump, i like the idea of plenty of oil in the system, especially in a red engine.

Drains well no problem 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users