Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Name:George Hatzi
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:31 PM

Hi All.
I’ve read Ruts’ very informative thread on how to cut a hole to A9X spec in an LX bonnet and have a question I’m hoping someone can help with.

I’ve trial fitted my engine in my LX Torana sedan.
It’s a VN headed 308 with an Edelbrock Victor Junior manifold - p/n ED28945.

The centre of my carburetor is approx 330mm from the back of the bonnet.

I’m wondering if:
1. the carby sits in the same position as my carby with early heads and factory Holden A9X inlet manifold? AND
2. the carby is meant to set I n the middle of an A9X bonnet hole?

The reason I ask is because going through Rut’s post the measurement he starts with is 285mm from the back of the bonnet and goes towards the front of the bonnet a further 220mm.
I assume that puts the carby in the middle of the hole that is cut in the bonnet as that would make sense to me.
If I want my carby to sit in the middle of a 220mm bonnet hole I would need to start at 220mm rather than 285mm.
Why? Half of the 220mm hole is 110mm.
The carby sits approx 330mm from the back of the bonnet so 330mm - 110mm = 220mm

Am I overthinking all of this or doesn’t it matter if the carby is towards the rear of the hole in a VN headed Torana??

#2 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:28 PM

It has been a while since I've looked at a VN four barrel manifold, but I am sure the carby (throttlebody) was central, the same as any red head single carby manifold.

As for the hole being central, while I have never measured one, from what I have seen I'd reckon they are.

Attached File  Charlie Obrien Cowes 2019 (2).JPG   334.11K   10 downloads

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:45 PM

When I took the red 308 out of my HZ Overlander and stuck a VP 5.0L in with Redline Hiwinder back in I used the same Holley and everything else (fuel, LPG, throttle etc) connected back up without adjustment. But I guess it could have all moved by 25mm and I’d never have known. The only adjustment required was the fiddle with the dipstick tube and change the engine pipes to matchup with the cast EFI exhaust manifolds.

#4 HNSGEQ

HNSGEQ

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Name:George Hatzi
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:06 PM

Thanks both. 

I'll measure it up again and just make sure my carby is sitting in the centre of the hole I cut in my bonnet. So long as the scoop covers the hole, it'll be all good!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Cheers,

George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users