Mid-life Crisis

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Name:David Lovett
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:48 PM

I have been turning my mind to the Rear end Dif set up on my LX Hatchback project and it is doin my head in trying to balance Wheel size, wheel offset, brake size,dif width in an unflared rear end.

I am guessing that what I want has been done before so I am hoping that someone can give me the answer.....

So here goes..... 15 * 8 inch hotwires I am pretty sure can accomodate 287 Disc rear rotors and calipers.... so with that wheel and RIM...

What width Diff and wheel offset do I need to get it under an UNFLARED rear end. Street Legally!!!!

Sorry forgot to mention the only change in Ride height will be the increase due to the 15inch Rims

There a free COVID Jab for the correct answer.....   :clap:   :spoton:

#2 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:16 PM

I didn't get this right on mine first go but might next time, I would recommend if you want those wheels buy them with as much back space as available and fit them under the car where you want them for clearance and measure the difference between them and get your diff built to that width.

If the disc rear is Commodore the rear shock mount could get close to the caliper depending on how much less than standard width the diff has to be, this could be alleviated by moving the shock mount pin/bolt/stud and making a shock mount on top of the bracket

I think you will want a diff no wider than 1440mm and maybe less

Hope that helps, good luck

#3 Mid-life Crisis

Mid-life Crisis

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:58 PM

I didn't get this right on mine first go but might next time, I would recommend if you want those wheels buy them with as much back space as available and fit them under the car where you want them for clearance and measure the difference between them and get your diff built to that width.

If the disc rear is Commodore the rear shock mount could get close to the caliper depending on how much less than standard width the diff has to be, this could be alleviated by moving the shock mount pin/bolt/stud and making a shock mount on top of the bracket

I think you will want a diff no wider than 1440mm and maybe less

Hope that helps, good luck

Thanks Tom

#4 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:26 PM

Like Tom said, you need your wheels with tyres fitted and then sit them in place and measure whats inside, the diff place should be easily be able to allow for whatever brake you choose to go with. Wheel BS, I'd likely go for whatever you like the look of, and then when you measure up it'll all be sweet!

#5 Mid-life Crisis

Mid-life Crisis

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:06 PM

Another option is to buy the complete Diff with brakes off ebay (see link below) and if its the standard LX Diff width I should easily get 8's under the back... what do you reckon

https://www.ebay.com...&frcectupt=true

#6 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:27 PM

Bit rich?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 Mid-life Crisis

Mid-life Crisis

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:06 AM

Thanks Clay.... Is my logic sound... Or maybe not....

#8 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:15 AM

Does my head in like it does yours. With plenty of options on wheels You should find a pair of 8” to fit. But for that money you should be getting what ever width diff you want to suit wheels you have already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:56 AM

Hi David. My set up is different as I went with a 9" diff and 17" wheels but same advice I got at the time was to buy the wheels you like, sit them under the car then measure the distance wheel to wheel and get the diff made to length.  From memory the length I ended up with was 1404mm but it was a few years ago now.  As mentioned depending on brakes etc you may have to make some other changes.  I deleted the original shock mount and mounted Commodore shock mounts up 40mm from the original location on the diff tube to get clearance from the calipers. Also had to switch the dust guards around and swap the hand brake bracket over.  Cheers Ron  

#10 Mid-life Crisis

Mid-life Crisis

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:06 AM

Hey Ron, Seems like good advice,,,, the only question I have is what offset I should buy the Rims with to ensure that I don't create interference problems with the Shocks or other

#11 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:06 PM

With a standard width diff with standard arches and an 8” wheel with a 225 wide rear tyre fits quick nice with a +4 offset with a roll of the guard lip.

I hope that helps, you should be able to play with the numbers from there for any differences.

#12 Mid-life Crisis

Mid-life Crisis

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:04 PM

With a standard width diff with standard arches and an 8” wheel with a 225 wide rear tyre fits quick nice with a +4 offset with a roll of the guard lip.

I hope that helps, you should be able to play with the numbers from there for any differences.

Thats great info thanks

#13 Mid-life Crisis

Mid-life Crisis

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:32 PM

Just to confirm a silly question............... when you say +4 that is 4 mm  ????

#14 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:16 PM

Yup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users