rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:37 AM

I was driving away from civilisation on Saturday evening down the good ole south eastern freeway when the sweet smell of burning alcohol hit the nostrils.

Lo and behold a little way ahead was a group of VL turbos out for a cruise.

A nice mix of original white complete with venetian, big tyres and exhaust as well as one with custom metal flake paint and the works.

Brings back fond memories of my best mates car. Bought as a two year old ex chaser in poverty pack white it soon scored a bunch of mods and was king of the local streets for quite some time. Pity we didn’t have pump ethanol back then!

Looking back now at some of the crazy stuff we did its a wonder we all lived to tell the tale.

Attached File  6FEEBEF6-D6F5-4921-A133-6BB2539C7203.jpeg   304.71K   8 downloads

Like this sleepy looking weapon above, many tyres were sacrificed and wannabes shut down.

Happy times!

#2 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:12 AM

I don't see why so many vl's have Venetian blinds these days. They weren't around when these cars were new and just look bad, in my opinion. It's ok on an EH etc but not s VL.

#3 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:07 PM

A true bogan express.

Mate had an ex cop one as well. But with a slightly better turbo.

Still dont get why some think there is something great about shredding a tyre or two.

I could do it in my mums asthmatic 1980 Sigma, so there is nothing special about it.

My fun has always been, and will continue to be seeing just how great some of these wannabe drivers are.

Let them pass on some windy stuff, then stick to them like glue to see how good they are.

Then pass them once their spirit had been destroyed.

There is zero skill required to "do a skid".

I used to love passing a Porsche 930 turbo almost daily on the run out of town. He kept trying though, but he didnt like being outdriven by a VB Commodore thats for sure.

Cheers

Rob

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:44 PM

Zero skill you say Rob tell that to those 2 dickheads that crashed their LH Toranas last year on public roads trying to do as you say a skid 

Major fail 

#5 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:48 PM

Zero skill you say Rob tell that to those 2 dickheads that crashed their LH Toranas last year on public roads trying to do as you say a skid 

Major fail 

No accounting for totally useless people.

The roads are full of them sadly.

Most times the idiots get away with it with nothing but luck. Not skill.

There are times their luck runs out, as happens all too often.

Ask anyone with a license and they will tell you how great they are at driving.

Even those who just got their Ps.

Take them to an advanced driving course, and they invariably say they didnt realise just how bad they were.

Ive attended hundreds of crashes as a first responder.

Not one of them could have been avoided, or the damage reduced by being able to pass a driving test.

Have never seen a crash where being able to do a hill start would have saved anything, or a reverse park.

Cheers

Rob

#6 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:49 PM

Totally agree 

#7 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:26 PM

A true bogan express.

Mate had an ex cop one as well. But with a slightly better turbo.

Still dont get why some think there is something great about shredding a tyre or two.

I could do it in my mums asthmatic 1980 Sigma, so there is nothing special about it.

My fun has always been, and will continue to be seeing just how great some of these wannabe drivers are.

Let them pass on some windy stuff, then stick to them like glue to see how good they are.

Then pass them once their spirit had been destroyed.

There is zero skill required to "do a skid".

I used to love passing a Porsche 930 turbo almost daily on the run out of town. He kept trying though, but he didnt like being outdriven by a VB Commodore thats for sure.

Cheers

Rob

No way you would have caught me as a youngster. The cops couldn’t!

Thank god most of us survived to be older and wiser. So many near misses.

#8 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:44 PM

No way you would have caught me as a youngster. The cops couldn’t!

Thank god most of us survived to be older and wiser. So many near misses.

I got away with speeding more times than I care to remember.

And not just by small amounts either.

But living in a village rather than a suburb likely had something to do with it.

But I was brought up to have respect for elders and those in authority, and kept that respect to a point.

As a young bloke of around 17, the owner of the local servo kind of took me on. He was a great mentor.

Taught me stuff that my father knew bugger all about.

He would help me out with problems, but rarely lifted a spanner to help out.

Academically I was brilliant, but in practical stuff not so much.

He taught me that there is nothing you cant do if you put your mind to it.

He also really pushed it that you might be able to do a passing job, but without lots of practice, you werent going to be an expert.

He gave me the means to do lots of practice.

I had run of the servo whenever I wanted, and even had my own keys for a lot of years.

I started as a bowser boy every second weekend while doing an electronics traineeship during the week.

One of the most important lessons he taught me though, was not to shit in my own nest so to speak.

If I wanted to do some skids and stuff, which even then didnt excite me much, he pointed out there were lots of quiet bits of road where no one would be put out by any antics. Lots of bits of road that had been bypassed, and even an old wartime airstrip.

Even when I had a motocross bike, so as not to upset the other people in the village, I just idled around town and only opened it up once I was out in the bush. All the riders in town back then did the same thing.

We did have one local though, who when he got bored would go and bait the HWP guys in the closest town. He had an old 750/4, which he loved keeping on the back wheel as much as possible.

He would keep them behind him for the 16km from town, go another 5 or so through the local gorge, turn down a dirt track, then once they went past would head back into town, park behind the pub, get a coke, and sit outside watching them go back and forth looking for him.

He thought he wouldnt get caught either.

He ended up doing a decent stretch in Bathurst for it all, and couldnt get a licence until he was over 40 from memory.

But he was the odd one out.

Have come across a few who have said the cops couldnt catch them.

But in the end they did.

Cheers

Rob

#9 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:11 PM

I lived in the wheat belt four years and north flinders ranges about the same. On the highway was 80mph 130kph everywhere. Never pinged. I never would have run if I did. Certainly not in the EK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:58 PM

I lived in the wheat belt four years and north flinders ranges about the same. On the highway was 80mph 130kph everywhere. Never pinged. I never would have run if I did. Certainly not in the EK.

Ive been booked a few times as well over the years, all well away from home.

And each time the cop has been surprised that I didnt object or act stupid.

But the way I looked at it, for each time Ive been caught, I have got away with it many more times, so I just cop it sweet.

I used to travel a rural type road each week for work.

I worked weekends, starting either Friday morning or Friday night, returning Sunday night or Monday mornings.

I travelled the Putty Road each way. I reckon it would have been busy if I had seen 10 other vehicles on the Putty each trip.

It was very quiet at the times I travelled. While I was working, the cops were busy as it is very popular with cars and bikes alike.

But not the times I travelled, and never say a cop car except if there had been a prang, which was about twice in the 3 years or so I travelled it.

I loved it especially after coming off night shift. The best of the bends were only about  minutes from work, and they livened me up nicely for the trip home.

The VE SS used something like 40 litres per 100km average over the 16km of windy bits.

Traction Control off, and let the fun happen.

It was on that road that I learned about the inbuilt speed warning on the VE.

At a certain speed the aerial started tapping the rear window.

And it certainly wasnt at a socially acceptable speed.

Im no angel,

Have never tried to make out I was.

I am also an advocate for people doing an advanced driving course.

I did my first one at 17. Then another at around 20, that was more focused on track skills I guess.

Both times it was the best fun I have had in a car with a group of friends.

I was lucky enough to do one course on the bottom section of Warwick Farm, and the other one at Amaroo.

Did some quick laps in a J3 Bedford with a 326 Pontiac engine at Oran Park as well.

Ran a tow truck there for a few years. That was fun as well.

Cheers

Rob 

#11 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:16 PM

Just read this and it sort of fits with some of this thread. Makes it even worse when on top of outright stupidity and lack of respect for others that QLD Police are finding 1 in 6 drivers testing positive to drugs. Every time I’m out driving I get amazed at not only the absolute morons driving around (probably part of that 1 in 6), but how absolutely incompetent some drivers are. Just basic stuff like competence to being able to safely and courteously pull out into or across traffic, ranging from just pull out and accelerate like a snail whilst almost causing an accident to others wanting a written invitation and give way to the world. I was almost cleaned up in the driver’s door yesterday at a give way sign, saw the driver and his wife talking or arguing so I slammed on the brakes - the other car ended up with its nose past the nose of my car before they realised what they’d done, a good 4-5m past the give way signs. Paying zero attention to the road.

https://www.abc.net....rl-ute/13227222

Edited by yel327, 08 March 2021 - 09:18 PM.

#12 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:13 AM

The government must realise there is a problem with the incompetence of the majority of drivers.

But no politician will risk the pension to advocate for harder training and testing.

Just south of me on the M1, there is a bridge.

Its freeway conditions with 2 separated lanes each way.

But this bridge for some reason is a couple metres narrower than the other bridges on the freeway.

The lanes are still freeway width, and trucks have no trouble staying within the lanes, with lots of space either side.

But they have put Slow Down warning signs on the approaches to the bridge/s. They are narrower both sides.

It is still wide enough that in a pinch, 3 cars could travel side by side.

I did notice some flowers on the approach on the southbound lanes, so someone was idiot enough to not stick between the lines.

Over the years where I grew up, our local roads were ranked close to the top of the the worst roads in the state.

The solution from the government was to progressively reduce the speed limits on sections of road.

That quietened things down for a couple of months, then the idiots found ways to out idiot the solution, and fatalities went back to the normal levels.

There was a bit of the Princes Highway at South Nowra that was single lane each way.

They divided the road and made it 2 lanes each way and added an extra lane on the left for those wanting to enter businesses.

Cost a motza, but was ten times safer than the road it replaced.

And they reduced the speed limit on it as well.

So a better road was rated for a lower speed limit than the goat track it replaced.

My pet hate like others is those who hog the right lane.

Happened to me today no less than 7 times on my trip to Moss Vale.

Every time it was a woman in a pretend 4WD thing.

And it hasnt just been this trip.

Almost every trip I do on a freeway, it is the women who seem to disregard the keep left rule more than others.

They have replaced the Volvo drivers of old as the worst drivers.

Cheers

Rob

#13 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

The main problem is all new cars in Australia since 2005-ish read over on the speedo. Many show 110 when the car is doing 100. This on top of them being right lane hogs. At first they used to have inbuilt Satnav units that showed the road speed, but that was turned off once people started whinging that it didn’t match their speedo. And the smarter ones starting to question if their odometer was out too.

Edited by yel327, 09 March 2021 - 11:43 AM.

#14 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:09 PM

Nothing to do with VLs...but I think the 4.1 million people who were fined for speed/ red light, in NSW alone betwen 2014 and now , who contributed $1.2 billion to the coffers may suggest why speed signs go down, and roads dont get much attention?.
Just about everyone in NSW must have copped a fine over that period, bit like a state based GST.

#15 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:12 PM

Yes I brought it up with my lease company. 10% fast reading as you say. They didn't want to know of course and nor would they allow me to fit larger tyres to compensate.

On the expressway I sit in the right lane doing one or two over the limit by the satnav, on cruise. Anyone who complains is definitely speeding and if they don't have red and blue flashing lights can get stuffed.

If I sit in the left lane I get cars sitting in my blind spot that block me overtaking by speeding up and closing the gap, then slow down when I pull in behind.

Something that shocks me is that most drivers don't comply with requirement to pull over when emergency vehicles are behind. They seem to be either oblivious or in too much hurry. Wait until it is them in the back of the ambulance or their house on fire.

early Holden nut

#16 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:17 PM

The main problem is all new cars in Australia since 2005-ish read over on the speedo. Many show 110 when the car is doing 100. This on top of them being right lane hogs. At first they used to have inbuilt Satnav units that showed the road speed, but that was turned off once people started whinging that it didn’t match their speedo. And the smarter ones starting to question if their odometer was out too.

Hence why I have a gps in all my vehicles and drive to the actual speed limit.

#17 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:47 PM

Of course, we all stay left unless overtaking, on divided road of 2 or more lanes, with >80km/h speed limit.

#18 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:22 PM

Hit the M1 from Brissy to the Gold Coast on any day of the week and you will get stuck behind dumb f#@&s who think it's their god given right to sit in the right hand lane doing 105kmh (110 on their speedo) while the traffic traveling (overtaking) at a true 110kmh or a fraction higher is forced to change lanes to go around them.

Edited by S pack, 09 March 2021 - 03:23 PM.

#19 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:31 PM

I'd be happy with that Dave, last time I was on that road, I would have been have to be doing 25km/h!!
Carpark.

Edited by RallyRed, 09 March 2021 - 03:31 PM.

#20 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:35 PM

I'd be happy with that Dave, last time I was on that road, I would have been have to be doing 25km/h!!
Carpark.

Yeah plenty of that too Col, esp around some of the on ramps. Dreamworld is a common problem, the exit can be banked back onto the motorway which has the effect of bringing all 4 lanes to a crawl.

#21 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, dangerous, every time an off/on ramp comes, up the traffic slows from 110 to about 30 as they peel off/squeeze on. 

Rear ender heaven from what I could figure out.

#22 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:33 PM

It happens on the M1 between Sydney and north. But it evens happens on Industrial Drive hading north west out of Newcastle city. It becomes an 80 zone, 4 lane. But you get dumb twats doing 50 in the RH lane, most likely as they want to turn right in 3km towards Port Stephens. There are B doubles overtaking on their left at 80. Most frustrating piece of road in my area.

#23 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:59 AM

Yes I brought it up with my lease company. 10% fast reading as you say. They didn't want to know of course and nor would they allow me to fit larger tyres to compensate.

On the expressway I sit in the right lane doing one or two over the limit by the satnav, on cruise. Anyone who complains is definitely speeding and if they don't have red and blue flashing lights can get stuffed.

If I sit in the left lane I get cars sitting in my blind spot that block me overtaking by speeding up and closing the gap, then slow down when I pull in behind.

Something that shocks me is that most drivers don't comply with requirement to pull over when emergency vehicles are behind. They seem to be either oblivious or in too much hurry. Wait until it is them in the back of the ambulance or their house on fire.

early Holden nut

It isnt your job to enforce others speed by breaking the law yourself in doing so.

If you arent actually overtaking you should be in the left lane.

And coming up to a vehicle in the left lane 100 metres or so ahead of you isnt overtaking.

The cops do actually go out and enforce the keep left rule strictly from time to time.

If you cant obey the rules yourself, you cant expect to stop others from breaking the law if they like.

Its their license that will lose point and their bank account that will cop a drain, not yours.

Cheers

Rob

#24 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:42 PM

I’m certainly not attempting to enforce others speed. The law doesn’t require you to travel at the speed limit either, which ever lane you are traveling in. It requires you to drive with due care. It requires you to drive as close as practical to the left side of the roadway. Both qualifying terms are subjective. What I am saying is that there is no justification for complaint by other drivers due to lack of their own due care. By the same token, if a driver is travelling at what they perceive to be the speed limit, it is unreasonable to complain because you want to go 5kmh faster. Just have a think about why anyone needs to go that much faster. Is it because they are in a hurry, they are running late, their time is more valuable than others? How much time are they actually saving in this exercise of impatience. 5% of their trip time is more than generous, so 3 minutes in a one hour trip is all they are saving. Or is it just that they want to get in front and win the race that some drivers seem to think they are competing in.

Very egocentric attitude to think that every other road user should pull over so that one can travel slightly faster. 10 or more kmh I agree but 5kmh is semantics.

#25 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:44 PM

If I said “you” above it is intended to be generic, not pointed, and no offence intended or taken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users