Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Name:Tony Sneddon
  • Car:69 LC GTR

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:48 PM

Hi guys.

Rebuilding my red 202 out of my little LC GTR she's been garaged for 15 years, prior to that my daily driver with a crow 35647 cam.... What was I thinking ;) Going to put a more usable cam in this time.

Just wondering if any of you are running a 41A Clive cam at all? It's not the 41A one on his spec sheet with 110 LSA but he recommended one with 107 LSA.

Specs:

48/78 inlet

81/44 exhaust

107 LSA

241 Duration @ .050"

.471" lift

Below is what I emailed to Clive (shortened to avoid your boredom :)) and the above was what he recommended so I'll go with this cam but just asking if anyone else is running it and what your thoughts are on it.  

Hi

I’m rebuilding a red 202 out of my LC GTR. It currently is 208 cu in running 1 ¾” SU’s with the AO7 needles. The head is currently being reconditioned it is a 161HC head with 1.7” inlet valves & 1.4” exhaust valves, ported slightly larger than Xu1 spec. Chamber is 42cc and Dave who is doing the head says we will be up around 11.5 or 12 to 1 compression ratio if all else in the engine remains the same which we may have to address. Red crank, starfire rods, the usual 202 bottom end. HM9C extractors. 3.08 diff standard ratio M20 gearbox, 13” sprintmasters. Being that it won’t see any track use I’m looking for a cam that will suit the above but will be a good all rounder. Looking for something around the 2800-3000rpm to 6500-6800rpm range. I know that is a fairly wide range of numbers to throw out. Just hoping you might be able to give me a guide on cam selection or steer me in the right direction. 

Cheers.

#2 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LC GTR

Posted 25 March 2021 - 04:08 PM

Hey Tony,

I'm not running the 41A so sorry can't give you feedback on it.  My LC GTR motor is 'similar' spec to yours, blue 202 block, crank and rods, 161 head, same SUs I think I have A06 needles, same diff ratio, m20 gearbox (std ratios), and 13's.  I went with what Clive refers to as the XU-1 HX improved cam.  He describes it as a small improvement over the original XU-1 HX cam, can't recall what the differences are but Clive will fill you in if your interested in it. 

It's a street car, has just been run-in but has not been dyno'd as yet so can't comment on what the power band looks like on paper.  Has an incredibly nice sounding lopy idle (Clive said it would), when it's idling at the lights everyone turns around to have a look what's making all that noise.  Goes hard throughout the rev range and has plenty of pickup from down low.  I was worried it may be a bit grumpy and not so nice to drive around town when building the motor but it's fine.  It can get a bit jerky when say in a 50 zone in fourth gear and the revs drop below 2k, but just need to drop a gear.  It's nice on the freeway too, at 100km it's sitting just under 3k so right in the power band for overtaking at warp speed :).  

Comparing the cam specs to yours there is a bit of a difference.  Worth getting on the phone to Clive and have a chat, he's an accommodating guy. 

Specs as per the tag: HX improved hydraulic cam

190 profile at 105@

Lift @ lobe 302deg

Exhaust opens 84deg closes 62deg

Inlet opens 51deg closes 95deg.

Exhaust and inlet duration 240deg.

Inlet lobe lift @ TDC on the overlap .098deg.

Steve.

Edited by ljv8, 25 March 2021 - 04:15 PM.

#3 Sned99

Sned99

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:13 PM

Cheers Steve thanks for that mate. Great info. I'll check it out 😀

#4 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 March 2021 - 03:38 AM

That's a decent cam, but still a lot of compression. I think you will have trouble.
Diff ratio too long I reckon.
My last Cam was a Clive 191A and was quite good in a similar set up.

#5 Sned99

Sned99

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 09:22 AM

Cheers red motor fiend. Appreciate the help. Yeah the engine was like that when I drove it daily. The head had that much machined off there is no fingerprints. The bloke I bought it off kept blowing head gaskets,then got a 2cc scallop machined into the chamber. I had no dramas luckily. Had no dramas with pinging etc (well at the time I had access to avgas so that explains that :))

#6 Sned99

Sned99

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:40 AM

Totally forgot to mention the 41A is a solid Cam too.

#7 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:25 AM

I running a crow cam:  Solid cam p/n:35626

intake duration: 238 - lift: .486" (although I running 1.6 rockers so .518")

exhaust duration: 244 - lift: .495" (although I running 1.6 rockers so .528")

LSA: 109

Similar setup except, blue crank, 10.4 comp, 1.5" primary extractors and 42mm Mikunis

I even ran 3.08 diff gears and it was OK, I'm now running 3.23 and I think it's spot on (celica 5 speed in mine). My car would be heavier as well being a UC.

Heavy traffic is average but doable, otherwise it's perfect, comes on cam about 4000rpm pulls cleanly to 6500rpm and pulls 4th gear from about 1800rpm.

I even got 11L/100km on the highway fully laden with 3 people and camping gear on the way to Newcastle, ~15L/100km around town.

#8 Sned99

Sned99

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:23 PM

Cheers Peter UC. I was looking at that particular cam too. That's better fuel mileage than my bloody 03 WRX haha..:)

#9 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:32 PM

Tony, not running what you are thinking about but Clive cams did this as an experimental one for Ian Tate when my engine was built. Motor has 10.8 :1 comp, 202, substantial head work 2" SU carbs. etc. I have it in an LJ XU1 that has the tall first gear M21 box, (Bathurst spec) Detroit locker 3.08 diff etc. 

Clive cams 1010C 107.5

inlet 50-92

Exh 86-56

LSA 107.5

Lift   .510

264Deg @.050

Its a cranky thing, idles around 14/1500 RPM , sounds mean, not good at slow speeds but with 3.9 diff not too bad. Pulls hard around 4000 RPM, 1st gear with 3.08 diff is > 90kph. Clive describes it as the 6 cylinder cam with HDT race cam specs of the day ground on it.

#10 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:12 AM

Tony, not running what you are thinking about but Clive cams did this as an experimental one for Ian Tate when my engine was built. Motor has 10.8 :1 comp, 202, substantial head work 2" SU carbs. etc. I have it in an LJ XU1 that has the tall first gear M21 box, (Bathurst spec) Detroit locker 3.08 diff etc. 

Clive cams 1010C 107.5

inlet 50-92

Exh 86-56

LSA 107.5

Lift   .510

264Deg @.050

Its a cranky thing, idles around 14/1500 RPM , sounds mean, not good at slow speeds but with 3.9 diff not too bad. Pulls hard around 4000 RPM, 1st gear with 3.08 diff is > 90kph. Clive describes it as the 6 cylinder cam with HDT race cam specs of the day ground on it.

Slight correction to original above, Clive actually stated it was the A9X HDT race spec ground onto my cam, not the 6 cylinder HDT cars

#11 Sned99

Sned99

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:04 PM

Whoa caterham2 that's a beast of a cam!!! Pretty crazy experiment but sounds like it hauls ass.. 

#12 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:02 PM

Whoa caterham2 that's a beast of a cam!!! Pretty crazy experiment but sounds like it hauls ass.. 

It was actually an experiment, original owner of my car was running 1.75 SU and when I acquired the car Ian Tate told me to try some 2'' SU carbs he had stashed away. Frank Lowndes did the needle selection for me and both Ian and Frank have remarked on how much of a freak motor it turned out to be. Running street radials and 3.08 diff achieved 13.9 @100MPH at Heathcote. It is a very handy beast on the track as well, lots of grunt and relatively easy to drive, on the street though, a bit grumpy, but not impossible.

#13 Sned99

Sned99

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:09 PM

Well I bit the bullet today and went ahead and ordered the 41A. Appreciate everyone's input but I figure I'll trust Clive's recommendation and give it a whirl. It will still be a cranky little bugger but hopefully a bit more street friendly. I got the whole package from him with valve springs, followers, retainers, seals & locks & I must say very happy with his prices. I'll let everyone know how it goes once I get her back together. Cheers.

#14 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Name:Bruce
  • Car:FC Holden, VK Commodore, - Ex torana owner

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:46 AM

Hi, sned, I spoke to clive only 2 weeks ago, he recommended that exact cam to me, too. Very interested in how it behaves on the road for you. Did you go with less compression in the end? Not sure if I got all my relevant engine specs across to clive in the end, though he gave me plenty of his time. Good guy, felt like talking to an old uncle. My 202 has 10:1 static - pretty sure i told him that much. He did say he was short of blanks due to covid importing problems, hope it comes fast to you and may your weekends be free enough to get it done sharpish. Best of luck with it.

Bruce

#15 IanC

IanC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Name:Ian
  • Car:LJ XU-1

Posted 07 June 2022 - 07:23 AM

Bump. Any reviews on the camshaft. I'm after a new cam, just wondering how it worked out. Cheers Ian.

#16 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 08:42 AM

I ended up having a p.m. chat with sned about it, he was starting all over with a new engine,
and not in a huge hurry.
Last news was February, haven’t heard back from him yet.

I’ve been specced a custom thing to suit mine since then.
When I get a roundtuit, I’m going to go with that

#17 IanC

IanC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Name:Ian
  • Car:LJ XU-1

Posted 08 June 2022 - 07:25 AM

Thanks Bruce. I have also found a cam that is getting ground this week I think. But I was close to ordering a new cam. Cheers mate.

#18 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 09:27 AM

No worries, Ian - he seemed to be a good feller, I’m sure I’ll get a reply someday.
I am still interested to know.
When it happens I will write something here
unless Sned does it himself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users