MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:18 PM

Have an annoying rattle when hitting bumps in the road. seems to be coming from underneath the dash sort of seems like its inside the heater box. The heater element feels secure (not lose) and rattle only starts after engine gets to running temp. Heater box has never been removed to my knowledge. Altering the vent sliding knobs from fresh to hot makes no difference nor does activating the fan. I don't want to have to remove the heater box if I can avoid it as people have said its a difficult job. I thought it might have been the accelerator rod where it couples against the firewall to the carby linkage. Anyone have an idea?

#2 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:01 PM

Does the plastic ducting still have the locating tabs securing it to the top vent? Sometimes they can come off and rattle around.

#3 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:54 PM

Ok I'll have a look and see this week. Thanks

#4 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

Be careful it may be a rattlesnake.

#5 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:01 PM

Have an annoying rattle when hitting bumps in the road. seems to be coming from underneath the dash sort of seems like its inside the heater box. The heater element feels secure (not lose) and rattle only starts after engine gets to running temp. Heater box has never been removed to my knowledge. Altering the vent sliding knobs from fresh to hot makes no difference nor does activating the fan. I don't want to have to remove the heater box if I can avoid it as people have said its a difficult job. I thought it might have been the accelerator rod where it couples against the firewall to the carby linkage. Anyone have an idea?

The grommet that the accelerator rod anchors to the firewall at rear of inlet manifold will give all sorts of elusive hard to find noises. I made an inner bush out of a piece of copper tube  for mine, put a spot of grease on it and then.............. no more noises that sounded like they were coming from everywhere else but there

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:32 PM

I'd love to hear a rattle in my LJ  :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users