ScottB

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Car:UC Hatch

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:16 PM

I have a 308 that came spare with the UC. Plan is to put it into the UC in QLD.

The car is a 78 so I believe that I need to have all the pollution attached to get compliance, probably even a Rochester.

So do I need an red motor setup like in a HX or HZ maybe? including all pollution pipes and canister?

The engine that came with the car has me a little confused. It's a QT engine number with a time stamp of 19G6. So I reckon it's a red motor from 1976. Is that correct?  It's painted blue but I guess that doesn't mean anything.

Hopefully I can use this engine to at least get compliance? 

Thanks

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:18 PM

19G6 will be an ADR27A red 5.0L if it is an original GMH QT engine number. The engines changed slightly mid 1978 to drop compression from 9.7 to 9.4:1 but not much changed. The intake changed a little at the HX to HZ transition and there were three different red 5.0L Quadrajets. But all you really need to do to keep it ADR27A compliant and get decent power is to run a KC intake or an EGR type Performer, a blue 5.0L Quadrajet and HEI ignition. If you are running an auto you have to run an EGR valve but the manual was blanked. The Quadrajet runs a 3 port canister with the carby port blocked, just the tank and purge line connected. Plus the spark timing control solenoid which is switched by a switch on the transmission in series with a heat switch on the head. Run a pollution air cleaner to suit your rocker covers with a heat pipe down to a bit of pipe welded to the LH extractor or the stove in the standard exhaust manifold. The UC should already have the sealed fuel tank and vapour line, probably already has the canister.

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

Generally speaking, you need to meet the pollution requirements of whichever is newer.

So if dropping an older 1976 QT engine into a 1978 car you would need the pollution controls off the 1978 car.

If you were to drop in say a 1990 5.0L from a VN Commodore, then you would need to upgrade the pollution controls to the same standard as a VN Commodore.

Where it gets complicated is that it goes by the block only. So you can use the old QT block but fit VN heads/cam/EFI/etc. and you still only need to meet the 1978 Torana pollution standards.

But as always, the above is nothing more than my personal opinion. I suggest you contact the engineer of your choice who will need to sign-off on the install (since a V8 wasn't a factory option for the UC) before you start the conversion.

#4 ScottB

ScottB

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the details - much appreciated.

The UC has the canister but the original 202 has been replaced by a 186. So I don't think any ADR gear is connected except maybe the line back to the tank.

The 308 has a performer on it already. How do I tell if it's an EGR type? Is it the crossover path half way along the manifold?

I also notice the performer has no bolts near the crossover, does that indicate something?

Thanks Bigfella, I am considering late model heads etc but prob later after the compliance. Yes, I'll have to start a conversation with an engineer.

#5 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:22 PM

1976 is the same ADR's as 1978, your engine will be from a HX.

You don't need any of the 6cyl pollution stuff, just the canister, fuel tank with separator and the line to the canister.

An EGR Performer will have a spot for an EGR valve - they have an exhaust crossover in them.

You can use blue/black heads and intake too, does the same job. The KC intake is a copy of the blue intake, but has provision to fit red and blue heads.

What gearbox are you planning on running?

#6 ScottB

ScottB

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the tip on the KC manifold. I hadn't heard of them before.

The engine came with a trimatic. I'm still trying learn whether a trimatic can be strong enough for a warm street 308. If so, and I can get shift kits etc for a trimatic, I will probably stick with that trans.

In the past I've had T350's behind 308 and 350, full manual. But I'm not sure about about the adaptor plates for a non turbo block. Still trying to learn about pros and cons of them also.

So, it will be auto, most likely trimatic.

#7 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:33 AM

Trimatic will be fine with a hotted up 308 as long as you dont go playing burnouts on a Saturday night  

#8 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:39 AM

Trimatic will be fine in a UC. Best bet is to get it built properly. Doesn’t matter if it’s a traditional LH shift or the more common Aussie RH shift, UC console shift Trimatic used both so you get a shifter and rod for either. Or modify what you have. Unless your UC was a 4cyl manual a 5.0L and Trimatic will bolt straight in using all GMH parts. If it was a column shift you could put an LH-LX auto column in it which is bolt in. If it was a 4cyl manual you’ll have to weld up the hole and cut in another copying exactly off another LH-UC for a UC T-bar to fit.
You’ll also need:

LH-LX V8 endings mount adapters and exhaust manifolds.
LH-LX V8 throttle pedal and cable.
Trimatic kick down bracket and switch for pedal.
LH-LX V8 tailshaft
V8 banjo diff yoke (also off 4.2 VB-VH)
Trimatic gearbox crossmember off 6cyl LH-UC (these use rubber mounts not straight bolts like a manual).
LH-UC Aussie box or Trimatic speedo cable and drive gear to suit the diff ratio and tyres.
You’ll have to make up an engine harness too.

Plus the right pollution gear. I can detail all that and get you diagrams too.

#9 ScottB

ScottB

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:17 PM

Ah the list begins...

The UC was a 202 auto from factory, floor shift I think. (It's a floor shift at the moment).  So hopefully that will make it easier for the install. Once I get it to the shed I'll start dissecting it and learning what's in there.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to start searching for bits.

Sounds like you've done it before yel327?

#10 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

Yes and no. More on HQ-WB but they are essentially the same regarding the conversion. Played with LX and UC a fair bit though to know them well enough.

UC will be console shift auto. It may be a LH shift T-bar as plenty were. Your Trimatic may be either as it won’t be original to the motor. You can pull the roll pins out of ht he shifter and swap it over if you have to.

#11 ScottB

ScottB

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

Cheers for that.

Yeah HQ was my tinkering toy in the eighties. 3 engines, 7 gearboxes, 3 diffs. That I can remember. :)

No pollution gear, great to work on.

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:54 PM

I was the same, my first car was a HQ van in the early 80’s and my first drive car was a HQ Deville. Had a heap of other HQ-HZ, wrecked lots too. Dabbled in Toranas for a while but went back to Holdens and settled on the HK’s.

HQ’s do have pollution equipment. Both ADR27 and ADR27 were introduced during HQ.

Edited by yel327, 14 April 2021 - 06:57 PM.

#13 VIXL34s

VIXL34s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Name:jeff
  • Car:2x L34s,+ HZ GTS, A9X HATCH.A9X SEDAN

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:14 PM

Dont worry Red goes Faster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users