Misc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Car:LX Sunbird

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:18 PM

Hey all, can’t seem to get my lower control arms in without one side of the bushes pushing out, wondering what to do, it’s been quite the problem 57643be99d0cfddc63cad4ca36c09968.jpg
5ddcbf2dba1c3625e462ede015976133.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:28 PM

The eyelets in the control arms have been distorted. This has been caused by incorrectly bush pressing or more commonly bashing the bush in with a big hammer in the hand of a new comer. A spacer are generally used between the bush eyelets in the control arm at the time of bush fitment. You would be advised to remove the control arms and square up the two holes and try again. Measure the distance between the k-frame mount and deduct the length of the bush flange and this will give you a indication of where the control arm eyelets should be after squaring them up. I have at times used a chisel and carefully tapped the eyelet outwards till their flush with the bush flange. Sometimes it works and sometime the holes are just to far out of alignment and the control arms need to be removed and repaired on the bench.   

#3 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 22 May 2021 - 10:29 PM

As axistr has said, you need to ensure you have the spacer (crush tube) protecting the arm whilst they are being pressed in.  A well known suspension business crushed one of my arms when pressing in the bush and had to source another. Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users