howie1300

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Name:Brian Howard
  • Car:SLR5000 LH Torana

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:14 PM

Hi have attached 2 photos one shows the disc Pad Inner and the  (shim:anti rattle or whatever they call it) fits to the inner pad and back onto the Caliper piston. These were stuck to the old calipers, DB14;s from memory. Does any one know if they should be adhered to the pad or should just be placed into position, as in pic 2. I cant believe they are not supplied with the pads.

Attached Files

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:41 PM

Heat has caused the anti squeal shims to stick to the paint coat on the back of the pads.

Looks like the two tags should locate and sort of hold the shims into the caliper piston.

#3 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:14 PM

Geeee I just cannot recall ever seeing this shim/clip on my brakes....? Its labeled as "shim" in the parts book.

Could it possibly be bonded with that red anti-squeal stuff you can buy? 

https://www.superche...118ml/1061.html

#4 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:24 PM

Dosnt even have a P/N in the Parts book.... ? 

#5 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:29 PM

VS12606 in the LX book... Nothing in the LH book... 

#6 howie1300

howie1300

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:17 PM

Heat has caused the anti squeal shims to stick to the paint coat on the back of the pads.

Looks like the two tags should locate and sort of hold the shims into the caliper piston.

I am thinking they are only used with the DB14 pads, because without it the pad would not remain seated in the caliper.

#7 howie1300

howie1300

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:22 PM

I suspected just that, seems a flimsy way to keep the inner pad located. I am thinking you adjust the tags outward to allow a tight fit back into the caliper piston. I am tempted to adhere to pad itself with a hi temp adhesive.

Howie

Once again I would like to thank all members for their help, at times its the only place I have to turn to and it is much appreciated.

Howie

#8 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM

The shim does not keep the brake pad located in the caliper. The caliper and pads are designed so the pads cannot fall out when installed over the disc rotor.

#9 howie1300

howie1300

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:43 PM

The shim does not keep the brake pad located in the caliper. The caliper and pads are designed so the pads cannot fall out when installed over the disc rotor.

Ok so they are more designed to prevent the pad rattling?

A little off topic but reluctant to start another thread. Rare Spares are selling  attached rear shocks, any thoughts on quality etc

https://www.rarespar...edan-hatch-rear

#10 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:17 PM

Ok so they are more designed to prevent the pad rattling?

A little off topic but reluctant to start another thread. Rare Spares are selling attached rear shocks, any thoughts on quality etc

https://www.rarespar...edan-hatch-rear

The shims are there to eliminate (reduce ?) pad squeal, which used to be a big problem, but modern pad materials have improved the situation in recent years.

The brakes will work fine without the shims, but squeal could be an issue with some pad types.

I've fitted sold & fitted lots of Ultima brand shocks & found they work well.

Sure they are not Bilsteins or Konis, but they are better than stockers. Great for daily drives.

They are made in China, but have been on the market for quite a while & have sorted out any quality dramas.

Dr Terry

#11 howie1300

howie1300

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:51 AM

The shims are there to eliminate (reduce ?) pad squeal, which used to be a big problem, but modern pad materials have improved the situation in recent years.

The brakes will work fine without the shims, but squeal could be an issue with some pad types.

I've fitted sold & fitted lots of Ultima brand shocks & found they work well.

Sure they are not Bilsteins or Konis, but they are better than stockers. Great for daily drives.

They are made in China, but have been on the market for quite a while & have sorted out any quality dramas.

Dr Terry

Thanks Dr Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users