#1 weedy

weedy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car:SL Hatch

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:41 PM

Hey chaps, who’s running a fibreglass hatch lid, Alpha or Repliglass and how is the fit. My hatch lid is gone around the screen and I’m not sure I can fix it, pics would be cool😉

#2 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:05 PM

I have mine bolted on now for test fit. It looks to fit ok. Not in paint yet.

I doubt it has the strength to shut and seal properly againt the hatch seal though.

It looks way too flimsy on the skinny bit beside the bottom corners of windscreen.

I'm looking for a different much softer seal to use with this hatch lid so it will sit down where it should.

I am going to paint up my steel one anyway as I think the fibreglass will only be for show/track and won't actually keep water and wind out.

Mine is from Alfa motorsport.

Matt

Edited by Toranamat69, 16 June 2021 - 09:06 PM.

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:22 PM

Check Heaths build...I think he's using a glass one

#4 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:46 AM

I have literally just been through the issues of trying to get a good fit for the hatch whilst using aftermarket rubber.  In my opinion the Rares rubber is the wrong profile, doesn't locate well on the body and simply is too thick/hard. I tried one from Better Auto Rubber and marginally better than Rares but still doesn't fit great.  We have left it in for now in the hope that it may bed-in better over time and with a bit of sun on it.  Sad thing is the hatch actually fits really well without any rubber. Anyway I haven't seen a fibreglass hatch but given the effort required to get the hatch to lock it would have to be pretty strong. Cheers Ron

#5 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:00 AM

I have literally just been through the issues of trying to get a good fit for the hatch whilst using aftermarket rubber.  In my opinion the Rares rubber is the wrong profile, doesn't locate well on the body and simply is too thick/hard. I tried one from Better Auto Rubber and marginally better than Rares but still doesn't fit great.  We have left it in for now in the hope that it may bed-in better over time and with a bit of sun on it.  Sad thing is the hatch actually fits really well without any rubber. Anyway I haven't seen a fibreglass hatch but given the effort required to get the hatch to lock it would have to be pretty strong. Cheers Ron

The Torana rpa rubber looks to fit the original torana metalwork best. If you have repaired rust using rare spares channels. Anyones guess. I have seen at least 3 variants on rust channels from rare spares.

#6 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:05 AM

Good point on the channel repairs.  I had noted previous comments about the Toranarpa product and if mine doesn't settle down they will be hopefully third time lucky. Cheers Ron

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:50 PM

The fibreglass hatch lid's resistance to bending as it tries to compress the hatch rubber is a real concern, as Toranamat69 has pointed out.

I am very concerned about mine. My fit-up involved a fair bit of work and certainly a lot of trimming of the guts of that hatch seal out, which means of course that it doesn't have the same pre-load and therefore resistance to leaking etc.
Mine is a Repliglass product.

Those Rare Spares hatch seals are a really bad thing from all reports. I would avoid them even with a steel lid.

#8 weedy

weedy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car:SL Hatch

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:19 PM

Hmm, sounds like a glass hatch might not be what I’m after. I’m hesitant to attempt repairing it in case I warp it welding the patches it requires in, not sure I have a choice now so I might just have to send it and see. I might try and post some pics of it tomorrow ;)

Edited by weedy, 18 June 2021 - 09:20 PM.

#9 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:33 PM

You can stiffen a fibreglass part by glassing some sheet metal into it at points that need extra strength.

This was done to the bonnet on my yellow car to support the latch mechanism. Worked a treat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users