rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:58 AM

So I finally decided to get an engine number for one of the cars that has an aftermarket block.

I started with the coppers who tell me it’s now vicroads who run this process.

After 40 minutes on hold the vicroads “consultant” tells me that the engine must be in a vehicle before it can be sighted and assigned a number.

The engine then needs to be stamped with the assigned number and represented to vicroads to be sighted.

I told him that would likely require me to remove the engine from the car to be stamped which seems onerous. I also pointed out that once the engine has a unique identifier it could be fitted to any vehicle and then presented to be sighted so why the double steps? 

Seems a bit of a runaround?

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

It is a pain. I have bought a few engines over the years with VxxxxP and NxxxP just in case I ever needed them. The problem I found on one chassis (replacement WB) and one engine I have had to do this way is they send you to certain places to stamp them for you, and they are rough as guts once they do it as it’s hard to do on a complete car. So since then I’ve had the engine shop stamp a number back in if they deck it off. I know it’s not the same font or size as the original but at least it’s the original number (even if it’s a Police issued number), and it is neat and legible.

#3 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:39 PM

I don't have experience with Vic roads but last time I needed an engine number I spoke to a guy at my local RTA (now RMS) and he said easiest to buy a damaged block and use that number and throw the damaged block, worked fine. Local engine builder might have broken blocks with available numbers

As Vic roads is a government body you could always ring back for a different answer when someone else answers or email for a 3rd option

I always found that RTA or RMS rules were dependent on who answered the phone etc

#4 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:03 PM

~ I spoke to a guy at my local RTA (now RMS) and he said easiest to buy a damaged block and use that number ~

Wow, I can't believe that someone at the government agency responsible for vehicle registrations would be stupid enough to say that!

If the cops ever tested the block and found a different number underneath, well, I hope you kept that advice in writing.

#5 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,120 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:43 PM

Surely you got a cousin that can help you out  ;)

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:08 PM

Torquepower block?

Thing is even if get numbers for block will need receipts to back it up.

Don't know why but was major pain just getting engine numbers sighted & corrected on rego papers after an engine change..once they realised old engine was v6 new engine v8.

Showed receipts for engine then they didn't care at all.

Edited by gtrboyy, 27 July 2021 - 11:10 PM.

#7 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:52 PM

So I finally decided to get an engine number for one of the cars that has an aftermarket block.

I started with the coppers who tell me it’s now vicroads who run this process.

After 40 minutes on hold the vicroads “consultant” tells me that the engine must be in a vehicle before it can be sighted and assigned a number.

The engine then needs to be stamped with the assigned number and represented to vicroads to be sighted.

I told him that would likely require me to remove the engine from the car to be stamped which seems onerous. I also pointed out that once the engine has a unique identifier it could be fitted to any vehicle and then presented to be sighted so why the double steps? 

Seems a bit of a runaround?

Rexy, years and years ago I built a 308 block for a HZ Holden I had, thinking I would do everyone a favour I went to the local cop shop, who in those days did a lot of stuff that vicroads now does, and asked the nice man there to have a look at the freshly machined bare block in back of my car. I pointed out that the machining of top of block had made the engine number very faint, and when the heads and all the various gizmos went on it, even harder to read. His answer, bring it back when in the car, if we can't read it we will give you a new number to stamp on then. With that he walked off. Didn't bother did I so said ute is still out there somewhere with a fairly handy 400 HP 308 in it with 4.2 l badges on it and no doubt a happy owner that thinks geezus this goes well for a 253

#8 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:47 PM

Their convoluted approach certainly doesn’t encourage compliance and I told them so. Of course he then gave me “the speech”.

Gene, I could certainly come up with a creative solution but I’m trying to play nice in my old age!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users