MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 02 October 2021 - 08:59 AM

Sorry for the re-hash but I've been driving the car since the replacement of the front suspension bushes a couple of weeks ago (wishbone and lower control arm bushes) & both upper and lower bump stops (and cross member rubbers) all with NOS stuff. Now that the upper control arm bump stops have been replaced and now actually rest against the stop the cars ride has become harsh. Figuring the original upper stops were non existent (crumbled away) so there was some free play in the suspension which was conducive to a smoother ride but now she rumbles along like a go cart , assume this is normal?  Also and more importantly  is there any reason the steering is slightly stiffer i.e the rack wasn't touched but previously the steering would right itself to centre if you let go of it but now it doesn't do this as freely. Mechanic says it will settle in after 500 miles and says its the new cross member bushes (which I thought was unusual). Rack has done bugger all miles since NOS replaced in the 80's. Will this all settle down/loosen up? could it be something the mechanic has done?

#52 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:20 AM

Also any advice on where to get alignments done on LJ's ? according to my research the alignment shops these days are either not interested or don't know how to do it (and don't have the proper shims). My mechanic says he can do it old school way which I'm thinking of taking him up on the offer as he seems pretty switched on with our old cars despite his youth (40's) B)

#53 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:49 AM

Replacing all the bushes wil have changed all the alignment settings. I wouldn't be too concerned about the steering side of things until you get the alignment done. If the steering doesn't self centre after the alignment is done then further investigation may be required.

Edited by S pack, 02 October 2021 - 10:50 AM.

#54 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Dave. Its tracking ok...pulling slightly to left but that could be road camber. I just had a look and that upper bump stop doesn't seem to have an obvious platform or area for it to stop evenly on? It already looks like it has a split in the last inch of its acorn shaped nose. Must just be a bad design.

#55 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 02 October 2021 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Dave. Its tracking ok...pulling slightly to left but that could be road camber. I just had a look and that upper bump stop doesn't seem to have an obvious platform or area for it to stop evenly on? It already looks like it has a split in the last inch of its acorn shaped nose. Must just be a bad design.

Yeah it just contacts the shoulder of the spring tower. Both of mine have split.

Probably important to have nice new supple bump rubbers as opposed to NOS rubbers that are starting to harden up from age.

#56 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:57 AM

As Dave said, your nos bushes and bump stops are still old. Don't be afraid to use new Mackay items, they'll probably last longer.

#57 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 05:54 PM

I agree, the NOS ones were hard as rock and mechanic said it was tedious trying to fit them. In hindsight I should have used repro ones but I'm obsessed with trying to use all original parts in this car as much as I can. Too late now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users