Hatchback13

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1976 SS hatchback mint julep

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:24 AM

Hi all, I’m currently setting up the suspension in my hatchback and would like some advice on a good spring setup and bump stops.
The car is running, flares, 17inch wheels, a 9 inch with original mounting positions and a uc front k frame. It’s going to be pretty low and has been set up at preferred ride height at the moment just with no springs or stops in, so if there’s a way of measuring? or just good setup that people are using that would be a great help. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:33 PM

There's nothing in your post that's really definitive enough to give you good answers.

You'll probably want extended bump stops on the rear, even if you've done a really good job of cutting the guards out nice and high. I welded some tube into my mounts to push them up higher, A9X's had the same thing.

I don't think people normally have any need to modify the front bump stops.

We don't know what you consider "low" or what rate of springs you are happy with, the rolling diameter of your wheels (17" is not a relevant measurement). 

#3 Hatchback13

Hatchback13

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:52 PM

Ok, what info would be better? Plz

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 October 2021 - 04:59 PM

Well actually I'm not going to have any perfectly specific advice still... on the front as best I understand, nobody has clearance issues with the standard bump stop, so just get some low springs and cut them down until you like the way it sits, it should all be okay if you've measured wheels and tyres nicely.

On the rear though, the missing information is the rolling diameter and how far up you cut your guards.

The best method honestly instead of asking people on the net... would be fit the wheels & tyres to the diff, and jack up the diff (no springs) into the car to see whether the bump stops intervene before the tyres hit the bodywork. I mean that's ultimately what you're trying to prevent, right? If the tyres go straight into the bodywork then extend the bump stops, haha.

You can buy Super Low springs for the rear of a Torana now I think, I've only used 'Lows' and reset them about 1" in the past, but the Super-Lows are probably the go at least as a starting point if you want the car to look good. There aren't all that many off the shelf options to choose from. 

#5 Hatchback13

Hatchback13

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:01 AM

That’s great help Heath, good advice and common sense also. I’m hoping to get it pretty low and have a real nice stance, something similar to yours but I don’t have as much dish haha, I’m running Simmons with 5” back space and am really happy with the look so far. Cheers

#6 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2021 - 09:48 AM

You should be looking at higher than standard spring rates too, as you don't want it hitting the bumpstops all of the time. And with higher rates comes the need for good shockies.  As far as I know, King Springs or Dobinson's will do custom rates in the 700 pound (front) and 450 pound (rear) ballparks. 

#7 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:06 AM

Always found the A9X bumps stops work in all situations, factory figured it out for us.

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:01 PM

as best I understand, nobody has clearance issues with the standard bump stop

Dunno, the rears have always been a bit hit and miss on mine under hard cornering

The advice to measure everything yourself, specific to your car, is definitely what I would recommend.

#9 Hatchback13

Hatchback13

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:05 PM

Thank you for your replies and advise, more work for me ahead. Cheers

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:53 AM

Always found the A9X bumps stops work in all situations, factory figured it out for us.

So if someone wants to recreate A9X bump stops on their car, what do they have to do? Are there drawings somewhere? Or aftermarket brackets that will do this?
Are the rubber components themselves the same as a standard Torana bump stop? I know they have a much taller post.

Dunno, the rears have always been a bit hit and miss on mine under hard cornering

100% agree, I was talking front specifically.

#11 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:22 AM

So if someone wants to recreate A9X bump stops on their car, what do they have to do? 

It looks like it is just the taller mounts.

Attached File  Diff 1.jpg   34.94K   16 downloads

#12 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:07 AM

Ah, that's a great photo, you can see them quite well.

Yeah I don't think mine are as tall as that. I certainly did extend the but perhaps should have gone further.

#13 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:21 AM

I did actually modify my front bump stops, I just trimmed them down to get a bit more bump travel as I was hitting them a bit more regularly then ideal. I trimmed about 10mm from them memory, getting a bit vague as it was more than 10 years ago.

Edited by Peter UC, 15 October 2021 - 11:22 AM.

#14 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:18 PM

So if someone wants to recreate A9X bump stops on their car, what do they have to do? Are there drawings somewhere? Or aftermarket brackets that will do this?
Are the rubber components themselves the same as a standard Torana bump stop? I know they have a much taller post.
 100% agree, I was talking front specifically.

Yes there are, if you can hunt them down. Fronts are about 35mm x 75mm square solid block welded to the underside of the top of the crossmember, almost rectangle, have a slight incline to follow the suspension arc. Rears are about 110mm high if I remember correctly, just use tube the same diameter, and cut them in half and weld between.

#15 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:21 PM

Remember fronts were designed to include the HX style stub axel with different stub height to LX.

#16 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:48 PM

Gotcha. Yeah drop stubs or even full-sized Holden stubs could well necessitate a longer bump stop on the front. Makes sense to me.

#17 Hatchback13

Hatchback13

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:48 PM

Remember fronts were designed to include the HX style stub axel with different stub height to LX.

I found these parts on the super pro website and the fronts are interesting with the two heights, looks like I’ll be extending my rear mounts!  Cheers

Attached Files

#18 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 07:26 PM

You want to set the car up to have minimum 50mm bump travel,
Heath outlined a great way to check that.

I would be cutting guards or doing anything i can to maintain that 50mm or even give it more.
There is more to all this, its hard to outline it all on a comment.
You actually want even more travel on the rear,
Eg, if you jack the whole diff up as one you have 50mm of travel, great but you actually want more, as you go through a high speed turn and hit a bump or wash out/dip, the diff is in articulation at this point you require a bit more travel to compensate.

Takes some careful planning. Trying to get custom springs is a pin unless you can find that 1 right guy, otherwise most places including the spring companies make your life difficult
450pds in the rear as has been commented is pretty dam stiff for the rear, mean very stiff. Can accomplish similar reaults just by having the right type of shock without going crazy spring rates.

#19 Hatchback13

Hatchback13

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:33 PM

That’s great info and more things to think about, and measure and measure and measure. Would you recommend a good shocker? I like the idea of Monroe’s because there Ozzie but my knowledge in this area is limited, I’m heading for the king springs super low, extending the bumpstop mount and go from there and then measure some more. Cheers

#20 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 19 October 2021 - 10:32 PM

Monroe’s are owned by Tenix USA and made in China 8 (

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:57 AM

Monroes are shit.

Koni reds are an absolute minimum.

Shockworks are not off-the-shelf, but that's what I've got in my car.

Bilsteins are a go'er.

King Spring Lows are about 200lbs, which is a bit on the soft side for sporty driving probably.
I'm looking to get some custom rear springs made that are about 250-280lbs for my own car soon.

That "Shortened" bump stop on the Superpro website... I think that might be a front droop stop, not a bump stop at all?

Could be wrong. Anyway a bump stop for the front end is the thing with the flat flange and a stud hanging out the bottom.

#22 Hatchback13

Hatchback13

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:11 PM

Bugger I always thought they were here, well scrap that then haha. Onto more looking 👀
What do I think of king springs super low? Im thinking for the rear at the moment. So much to look at, research and choose from, my head hurts haha. Cheers

#23 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:04 PM

They were up to a few years ago I think brad. Our standard if living priced us out of the manufacturing game didn't it? Keating et al ditched the tarrifs so we could be in the global economy and get cheap Beemers.

early Holden nut

#24 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:32 AM

What do I think of king springs super low? Im thinking for the rear at the moment.

Probably okay. Maybe not quite low enough, and maybe a little on the soft side for sporty work or a car with limited travel (i.e. you'll probably want those bump stops to be set up in the right spot)

#25 Hatchback13

Hatchback13

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:31 AM

Are your shockwave shockers air ride? I had a bit of a look last night, interesting. The blisteins look good would have to get shorter shocker for the rear.
If you don’t mind me asking where are you getting custom made springs from? My car will be a street car primarily but if I had the chance to take it around the track I would so a bit stiffer set up is what I’m going for.

Yes it’s all gone to shit, I try to find Aussie where possible but can be hard these days. There is some good local companies that’s I’ve been using which is a start I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users