#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 21 November 2021 - 09:38 AM

Hi all.  I have a sunroof in the hatch and I need to get the headlining custom made.  Issue is finding someone that a) has the skills to do it and B) the time.  Have been speaking with a guy but I think he is just too busy at present.  I can't find a pic with the shape of the headlining but presume it only covers the roof and the A pillar?  If I'm right then the B pillar lining would go on first so my question is can the headlining go in last.  If so I can then keep progressing getting the other parts done, which shouldn't need the level of expertise needed to make/fit the headlining.  Am I on the right track? Cheers Ron

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:17 AM

I put my A pillar trims in first, then headliner, then B pillar and rear window sill trims, then C pillar trims at the end.

fcizcOo.jpg

http://www.gmh-toran...atch/?p=1069921

I had hems sewn into the tops of the C and B pillar trims, which necessitated that sequence. If you were just overlapping the material that you'd cut straight off with scissors, the order of assembly would matter less.

Also, I do not know what a factory car is like regarding which materials overlap which at the top of the pillars.

(if you sunroof is big enough, you don't need a very complicated headliner as you will see on my car)

#3 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 22 November 2021 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Heath.  I am thinking about going sort-of, that way where the pillar pieces are all fitted first and then the headliner is simply hemmed where it overlaps those pieces.  I'm just not sure if the trimmer would need any of those pillar sections incorporated into the headlining for tensioning as I'm not sure I can use any of the original rods.  I get the impression the complication is not so much the sunroof itself, but working around the framing mechanism that runs to the rear of the roof.  I would think my sunroof (modern day Monaro unit) is similar to yours. Cheers Ron

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:25 PM

The sliding sunroof that goes to the rear of the roof will indeed be different to mine. You're right that the factory rods won't work, and I don't know exactly how the trimmer will want to deal with that.

I agree, trim your pillars with plenty of material at the top, and just put the hems on the headliner instead when that part is ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users