tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 20 December 2021 - 05:37 PM

started motor for first time and couldn't get any oil pressure , did all the normal things primed the pump and used some vaso but no good. So decided to pull pump off and suck some oil up from the sump through the hole on the block and was also going to pump some in the other hole to get some oil in the galleries. So I put a hose in the hole that feeds the galleries and there is virtually no resistance when i blow into it , this seems odd I would expect some resistance. I'm now worried I've left a gallery plug out, I know I have one at the front above pump gear  and a screw in one at the back and there is another at the rear on the bottom next to the sump but looking at online pictures  there also appears to be one under the manifold at the front, this one I really can't remember replacing , don't really want to pull manifold off to check but if the lack off resistance when I blow in the tube is not right then I'll have to

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 December 2021 - 03:34 AM

There should be resistance but hard to say if you're only blowing air into it? I use one of those syringe-style oil pumps to push oil in (wrap a bit of tape around the end if it doesn't seal). If you don't get a reasonable amount of resistance with oil then you may have a problem.

The other thing that can happen is the pickup not properly sealed to the block, or cracked somewhere. Its still possible to pull oil up from the sump if you try hard enough but the pump won't actually maintain it and/or it keeps draining back.

#3 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 11:52 AM

I have found a picture i took while putting it together and it looks like that plug under the manifold is not there , I really don’t know how I missed it , guess I never realised it was an oil gallery in that hole . So looks like off with the manifold

#4 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 21 December 2021 - 12:57 PM

Can you post the pic? 

#5 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 03:37 PM

the before picture you can see the plug, doesn't look like its there after machining 

Attached Files

#6 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 December 2021 - 06:48 PM

Had that motor been "opened" before Brett? Just wondering if it had a single row timing chain.

#7 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 07:06 PM

Its not the original engine , its a 11QT block so out of a 71 statesman, It had been rebuilt before I got it in 1985 from the bearing dates , engine was in car when I bought it in late 80s , I put a cam and double row chain in it some time around then but can’t remember if it had a single or double row chain back then , if I had to guess I’d probably say it was a single from memory

Edited by tuxedoss, 21 December 2021 - 07:10 PM.

#8 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 21 December 2021 - 07:48 PM

The other question is, can you be certain that the plugs in either end of the lifter galleries etc. are in as well? From memory there's one at the back (behind the flywheel) and two at the front (inside the timing cover).

#9 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 07:59 PM

Yep other plugs are in for sure as I knew about them and they are fairly obvious , in hindsight this one was pretty obvious too but was just totally off my radar but explains why I found one still left in the bag

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:39 AM

That would do it.

I just tapped mine out and screwed in plugs the other week in my own motor.
Very lucky it's only a manifold off job for yours, really. The others are in much worse places.

#11 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:52 PM

Update. Plugged the forgotten gallery hole . Also pumped a heap of oil in the oil sender hole with a 1.5L oil extraction syringe . Removed the back lifter and kept pumping oil in until it was squirting out the lifter hole . Taking no chances this time . Took a few goes to get it started but it fired up and had instant oil pressure this time.Getting around 50psi at 2500 rpm and about 20psi at idle which is about 900 to 1000rpm at this stage . Seems a little lumpy at idle , cam is a cam tech 218 duration at 50 thou

#12 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:22 AM

218 degrees of duration doesn't sound like an aggressive cam to me. Unfortunately, Camtech went guts up about 12 months ago which is a real shame as they were an all Australian company who made a great product.  

I believe that all of their gear, and cam profiles were bought by Crow Cams who measure their (advertised) duration at 200 thou, mainly because they are grinding some pretty "out there" lobe designs that are fatter at the top end of the lift cycle.

#13 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:14 PM

Yeah shame about cam tech, they were not far from me and Malcom the owner was very helpful when I got the cam off them 2 years ago . Yeah the cam is not real big which is what I wanted , had a crow 5666 before. Still playing with initial timing , idles much better with more static advance , and I haven’t connected the vacuum advance up yet , at 15 degrees it was ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users