Photo

So who is just enjoying life? The simple things.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 22 January 2022 - 10:20 AM

Hi mate...it will be no drama.
Believe me, within a month or so, you' be singing the retiree chant
.. " don't know how I found time to go to work"?.
Congratulations too!

Ain't that the truth! 

#27 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 22 January 2022 - 01:35 PM

In some respects forced retirement at 60 is good because you know where the line in the sand is early in your career so you kinda aim at it financially to try and make sure you have your shit in order by the time you get there.

#28 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 22 January 2022 - 10:54 PM

When I signed up for my apprenticeship I was retiring at 65...............................then they moved the goal posts :banghead:

#29 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:51 PM

Many of my clients don't want me to retire. :cry:

#30 Ddstoys

Ddstoys

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Car:Lx

Posted 23 January 2022 - 05:59 PM

Yep definately enjoying the simple life, Quit my job last February and doing th absolute bare minimum to keep the bills paid and beer in the fridge, Do a little extra to cover projects costs but that’s it wish I’d done it years ago finally some me time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 07:39 PM

If given a choice I would have continued past 60, but my super is set up for a 60 finish. that's just how its been for Police since the 70's as they worked out that shift work and the nature (stress) of the work shortened your life substantially compared to the general population, the Police Union set it up that way back then (although we are living a lot longer these days). So I do look forward to the simple life as I have seen and experienced a lot of shit that people shouldn't see. Gives you a different prospective on life.

Edited by MFM, 23 January 2022 - 07:41 PM.

#32 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 23 January 2022 - 09:33 PM

I take my hat off to the coppers these days , seems they are not as respected these days as they used to be, especially with youth .
The shit you have to put up with these days is terrible.

#33 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 23 January 2022 - 09:51 PM

I hope the government looks after you in your retirement. 40 years of service to the community. Not everyone can say that. I dont believe you should have to retire if you don’t want to, but I hope you will find fulfilment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#34 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:35 PM

Im a little bit away from retirement but I’m doing the things i want to do now not wait till I’m to old to do them 

Just spent last week away camping in the south west on a fresh water river 

canoeing, fishing , caught a few marron for dinner and just away from civilisation 

and take in the tranquility of the bush 

Y

Do it now before its to late not everybody gets to enjoy their retirement 

You’re a long time dead  :)

#35 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 06:32 AM

Im a little bit away from retirement but I’m doing the things i want to do now not wait till I’m to old to do them 

canoeing, fishing , caught a few marron for dinner and just away from civilisation 

Y

That is a great viewpoint which we all should aspire to but a lack of $ , work/family responsibilities and in some cases lack of opportunity to pursue your dreams, hog ties us until its too late (too old). Trouble is when you get older (60plus) you just don't have the motivation to want to pursue all those things that you dream about because you can't be bothered or you've gotten yourself in a comfort groove which you don't feel comfortable getting out of. Fortunately when you have seen a lot of death like I have over the years, it hits home that the graveyard is full of people our age, so you need to treat this life as the grand final and we are in the last quarter of the game.

#36 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:24 AM

Y

Work is a bit quiet ATM eh! :D

#37 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:14 AM

My father was in a job where retirement was optional at 55. School Teacher.

He retired in the mid 80s just as the leftist agenda was starting to stuff life.

Kids were starting to get away with anything they wanted and life as a teacher was becoming disheartening.

He had used his long service over the previous years to do a bit of travelling.

He went to NZ Lord Howe Norfolk and Fiji.

He was looking at travelling around Australia one he retired.

Unfortunately mum was diagnosed with MS around 1980.

By the time retirement came about dad was pretty much a full time carer for mum.

Unfortunately retirement didnt pan out well for him.

Do what you can to enjoy life while you can I reckon.

You never know what obstacles life has for you in the future.

I know I was still expecting to be working full time now.

But these days I cant do anywhere near what I should have been able to do, so I just make the most of it.

Im hoping to do a bit of travelling later this year once my shed and pool are sorted out.

May even buy a campervan to do it. Havent thought too hard on it yet.

Cheers

Rob

#38 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 24 January 2022 - 04:25 PM

Work is a bit quiet ATM eh! :D

I wish I’m flat out atm but it can wait 

Well said Rob 

#39 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:24 AM

Bring on retirement I say. I am counting down the years and all going well, I have one year and 7 months to go :-). I wasn't put on this earth to work more than I have to LOL..

#40 IanC

IanC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Name:Ian
  • Car:LJ XU-1

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:10 PM

Yep, pretty happy.  a little disappointed in the last  years.  But thats another story.   I worked in the mining industry building underground mining equipment.   Unfortunately I injured my back which required surgery.   Pretty devastating at the time,  as I was a very keen dirtbike rider.  But as things worked out, I met Craig Anderson, and spent 10 years traveling  Australia in a Fifth Wheel Motor Home doing the Motocross and Supercross championships around Australia.  I drove from Newcastle to Perth for Wanaroo MX and Clairmont Show Ground.  I have been to Tassie twice. And pretty much every where the Motocross visited.  But everything comes to an end.  And I needed a job.  I was 56 years old and in desperate need of a job.  We got a new publican at our local.  And I pleaded with him to give me a work trial for 3 months Sponsored by my insurance company.  Unbelievably he gave me a chance.  6 years later I am still there.  He is the best boss I have ever had. and what he has done for me will never go unappreciated.  If this shutdown has not shown people how lucky they are to have a job, let alone a job they love.  Well I don't know what will.  And so to with the bosses.  To have staff you can depend on is everything to them at the moment.   I am approaching 62, my car has been off the road since 1997 (Kids seen to that :) .. ) It is 50 years old in February 2022.   I'm am trying to get it back on the road this year.  I have a lot to do, and I have no or very little idea on how to put it back together.  But together it must go.  I would like a couple of years of fun in the old girl, before time parts us.  Damn that sounds grim.  Not meant to be that way, because really I am pretty damn happy, with a heap of fun wrapped in orange only a matter off months away...    cheers all. 

#41 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 01 February 2022 - 11:07 AM

Well I guess I am one of the lucky ones I would say. I will be pulling up stumps at 54 as i have enough holiday and long service leave to carry me through to 55 where i will be able to access my government super pension. I guess leaving a mechanics trade 20 odd years ago and jumping into a government job was a smart thing to do at the time as the super in the government is very generous and i will have a very healthy government pension for the remainder of my life.

Glad you have landed on your feet Ian and still enjoying working. Us lucky ones really don't know how lucky we are as Gov employees compared to the private sector. Especially the poor buggers in retail and travel. I guess it all comes down to a bit of luck and the choices we all make though. Lets all hope things get better for all soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users