fiberglass or metal panel replacements

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _jicer13_

_jicer13_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:49 PM

Gday, Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on fiberglass replacement panels vs fixing or replacing existing metal panels

Tried looking on here for any positives or negatives but couldn't see many opinions.

I have fairly rusted front 1/4 around the guard, to far gone to try and bend and shape. I know its looking for the easy way out but if there is positive talks about the fiberglass I may also get a bonnet and boot lid.

Concerns are if there is a difference in look over time and also down the track if I sell would it put people off from purchasing or effect value?

Positives I could think of is that no need to worry about rust again and no real worry about having to align new patches up.

Any help appreciated!

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:34 PM

https://www.adelaide...es_20170426.pdf

See page 16, Fibreglass and carbon fibre panels.

#3 _jicer13_

_jicer13_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:43 PM

https://www.adelaide...es_20170426.pdf

See page 16, Fibreglass and carbon fibre panels.

I have seen this and figured that being non structural panels it should be ok if I go down this path. Doors and roofs I'd definitely stay clear. Im also assuming that as so many companies are doing it that some would have certificates to overcome the strength issue with metal inserts ect.

#4 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 28 January 2022 - 11:37 PM

I am assuming that you are meaning say use guards, bumpers, bonnet, boot as if you were going to race it ? If you are intending on registering it for road use, consult your relevant authorities & insurance company before you go any further, that may determine your decision for you !

#5 _jicer13_

_jicer13_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2022 - 06:52 AM

Its for a street car, I just noticed that there were more companies selling the fiberglass panels than metal replacements. Thought it might be more common that people were using them. Like I said in original, would be looking for easy way out. 

Sounds like I'll have to keep trying to chase the couple companies that do the parts I need. I haven't had much luck with replies or call backs as yet.

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 January 2022 - 11:35 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...ed-rust-repair/

#7 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2022 - 06:09 AM

Always assume that anything fibreglass is going to require significant work to fit and match up to existing panels so it looks good, nothing is bolt-on.

#8 _jicer13_

_jicer13_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2022 - 09:10 PM

I was hoping not to be as dodgy as a Turkey can but I have found someone in the state that does the inner and outer patches. I'll just have to visit them as emails and calls have gone unanswered.

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:42 AM

My (road) car has fibreglass bumpers, bonnet, guards & hatch lid.

The guards took a fair bit of work, and the left and right unfortunately do not have the same curve as one another (important when you're trying to run tight wheel fitment)

Fairly impressed with the bonnet.

Bumpers are pretty good. They don't hug the body ridiculously well around the corners, but the original steel bumpers weren't awfully good there either.

They aren't the same as steel in the short or long term.

#10 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 31 January 2022 - 04:26 PM

I read somewhere a while back that any composite panel that protects the occupants has to be 3mm thick.

Now that has been around for quite a while, and I wonder if carbon fibre would make a difference.

I was doing some research with a mate as we were toying with the idea of building some basic trucks to dump rock.

Site rules said that they would have to be within the realms of what a road registered truck would have as basic specs.

So we looked at the requirements for things like composite doors and cab. But the cab would have likely ended up being basic steel.

The bloke we were looking at doing it for lost his contract while we were still looking at the basics.

Cheers

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users