#1 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:09 PM

Hi all , I have a VE Calais , that I think needs a new wheel bearing at the rear , it’s done 108,000 so I’m thinking they probably all need replacing . Can anyone give me an approximate cost of a job like that ? Cheers guys.

Edited by Indy Orange, 14 February 2022 - 03:10 PM.

#2 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 14 February 2022 - 05:27 PM

No, don't know. 

But I have seen them tear the CV boots, let the grease out, and wear the CV knuckle thingos. Makes noise.

Tell tale of grease spattered under the rear.

These VE/VF s seem to sit low enough that you never see under them unless you try...have you had a look under the arse end?

Maybe be irrelevant , but just sayin.

#3 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 05:53 PM

No I haven’t Col, I’ll check that out , and yes mine sits low , can’t even get an oil pan under it to do my own oil changes.
It’s has a Whoooo Whoooo sound coming from the arse end at about 100 kilometres an hour so I’m assuming it’s a bearing.

#4 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:25 PM

Ok, good luck.
The other thing re the CV boots...and it got me 'cause I'm a tightarse...
You can buy new boots and clamps for like $25. They are total crap. The bellows are like ice cream container pladtic i.e. stiff as.
The factory ones are lovely rubber type with serious clamps.
More excy, but the ducks guts.
Just in case you need them.
Blokes in the trade prob. know all this ( Dr Terry etc ) but mugs fid out the hard way.

#5 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:41 PM

Ta mate! thanks for that.

Edited by Indy Orange, 14 February 2022 - 06:42 PM.

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:49 PM

If the cv's are stuffed, you'll feel it by rocking the driveshaft back & forth. You just fit new complete shafts. A GMH bearing failing at 100,000 seems quite premature to me. It will depend how easy the bearing shell comes out, for a end price.

#7 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2022 - 09:07 AM

I changed a set of front wheel bearings on a BA XR6 the other day. How easy are they? Step 1. Remove hub. Step 2. Throw it in the bin. Step 3. Replace it with new hub and bearing assembly. ($65)

Edited by Shiney005, 15 February 2022 - 09:08 AM.

#8 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2022 - 08:06 AM

I replaced my brothers VF senator rear wheel bearings twice and Holden replaced them twice under warranty. Its a reasonably common problem. Car had only done 130,000km so four sets in 130k. The case hardening in the outer cones had let go every time.

Just make sure if you or who ever changes the bearings fit the inner bearing the correct way around (plastic grease shield towards the ABS sensor). I now check the inner bearing with a steel paper clip to ensure the bearing still has it magnetic pickup properties before fitting. The plastic bearing cover has magnetic strips impregnated within it. A steel paper clip will stick to the plastic area. I fitted a new bearing which had lost its magnetic properties from new. Holden said if the bearing was placed against a radio speaker or another strong magnate it can damage the magnetic strips in the bearing. (that was their warranty talk after I found the problem so no warranty on the new bearing).  If you have some small steel fillings and sprinkle them over the plastic bearing shield all the segments will show up. Simple test but could save you lots of time and agro. It took me three days to work it out and not many within Holden knew about it. If the magnet strips in the bearing are week or damaged it knocks out the ABS and traction control bringing warning messages and lights on the dash after driving the car a couple of hundred meters.     

#9 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 08:44 AM

That is interesting.  I thought the ABS/TC was fed the axle speed info from the toothed wheel thingo in near the diff.  Are you saying the seal has something to do with it?   Genuine question.  Thanks

#10 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2022 - 09:15 AM

Col I think all the earlier Commodores had the rear ABS sensors as you say are on the inner CV shafts. (VR-VZ). I'm not sure when the change was. My brothers Senator was a VF series 1. I assume the VE has them.

Yep, the rear inner wheel bearings have a steel grease cover on one side and a plastic cover on the other. If the inner bearing steel cover is fitted to the the inside the ABS won't work. The plastic shield has magnetic strips impregnated into it. I haven't counted how many strips there are but around twenty would be close. As said if you have some metal filings and spread them over the plastic cover the magnetic segments all show up. The magnetic segments are not very strong. A steel paper clip will only just hang on upside down, but its a check well worth doing before fitting a new bearing. Holden advised me to change the rear ABS wiring harness as they said it was a common problem. I tested the old harness with a ohm meter and couldn't find a problem. Under frustration I replaced it but the fault still existed. My scan tool indicated the fault was on the left rear which was the side I just replaced the bearing. I googled and rang Holden tech advice but they really didn't know either, just told me to change wiring harness or ABS module and sensor. I had to work out how the system worked myself and tested every part until I found out the magnetic segments were in the plastic cover. It was the last thing I expected. 

I wonder how many people have replaced sensors, harness and modules because of a faulty bearing.  

#11 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:34 PM

Geez, thanks.

I had never ever heard of that, or anything like it.

Interesting.

Good info.

#12 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2022 - 08:13 AM