L31 Hatch

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name:N
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 26 February 2022 - 06:02 PM

Trimatics on its last legs and about to drop some coin and im torn 4speed is toploader or ST10

Whats the call people?

Whats a set up of each cost for a Hatchback?

Edited by L31 Hatch, 26 February 2022 - 06:02 PM.

#2 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 27 February 2022 - 05:54 PM

Personally I would go the TKX, but not worth removing the Muncie I already have.

R154 is fine, but just as expensive new or rebuilt once you factor in the other pieces

ST10 or better yet Muncie would be stronger and lighter, but you might want the overdrive.

TKX has all the best features from the TKO and T56, without the extra weight of 6th gear.

Edited by Lima31, 27 February 2022 - 05:55 PM.

#3 L31 Hatch

L31 Hatch

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 10:31 PM

4 speed it is then.

Can I get a list of what's needed to go from trimatic to a Muncie/ST10.

Diff is a 10bolt 3.55 4pin LSD

Thanks

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2022 - 08:40 AM

TKX has all the best features from the TKO and T56, without the extra weight of 6th gear.

Yeah, and better sized for a Torana tunnel as well. TKX is my pick.

What do you need for a good manual conversion?

• You need a slip yoke to suit your new gearbox and also your tailshaft uni if you are going to modify the length of your existing tailshaft (or you just get a new one made)
  • You'll need a bellhousing, not sure if Quicktime make anything for a Trimatic pattern Holden V8 so let's assume Dellows, or CRS.
  • You need a flywheel, you can buy a steel Yella Terra one to suit a 10" clutch (YT9903L I think for medium weight), or an ACE steel flywheel to suit a larger 11" clutch, if your bellhousing has space for it. My Dellows one does, but the bigger clutch limits your starter motor options! The flywheel will foul on the OEM type starter motor pinion support. I ground mine down but a 'single shear' pinion design like an indexable aftermarket starter motor is what is recommended.
  • You need a clutch kit & spigot bush. Everyone just uses single plate clutches basically, a fair few available. I have an ACE 11" one, same as my flywheel.
  • You need a clutch actuation system, many people would recommend an under-dash hydraulic system that you can make yourself or buy from somewhere like Mal Wood. My build thread documents this stuff in pretty good detail. If you use a hydraulic clutch, it's probably sensible to put a concentric slave cylinder on it as well, Mal Woods sell these, as do Tilton, Ram clutches, McLeod, etc.
  • If you do this, you'll likely want a remote-mounted clutch master reservoir, which you would install in the engine bay rather than under the dash.
  • You need a crossmember. I use the Dellows cast alluminium one and I quite like the look of that. You could just weld some modifications to your factory Trimatic one if you wanted to save $$.
  • You need a shifter boot, shifter arm, shifter knob.
  • Maybe a different speedo cable? (I just use a GPS speedo)

#5 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 10 March 2022 - 02:45 PM

I have spent the last few days flogging my yellow LJ about as the daily driver. It’s a holden V8 / R154 combo with a single plate hydraulic clutch. 

It’s a delight to drive. Gearing is just about right for the street with a 255/60/15 tyre and shift quality is excellent.

#6 L31 Hatch

L31 Hatch

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 09:55 PM

Thanks all, I'm hearing there is a preferred shifter that makes life easier when installing a hatchback console. Any help around this or is it just a Hurst indy?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users