19 replies to this topic

#1 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Name:JASO
  • Car:4/73 LJ XU-1. Adelaide build, Sunburst. 1963 EH Premier. Brisbane build, Portsea Blue.
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2022 - 10:59 PM

Saturday Night 19.03.22, some *scum's* stole the rear rego plate (UBR000) off my daily drive.

Car was parked on the street from about 430pm, then at about 8:05 pm, the UNDERBELLY turn up.

They tried to go for the front plate too, but must not have had a tool to fit the bolt heads.
The rear were just phillips head screws (easy target).

So, i can only figure, potentially wanting both plates to use for some CRIM activity, maybe fuel theft drive offs?? Given the recent prices, Or whatever??

I swapped the Front plate to the Rear now, using some torx bit tamperproof screws, with some additional 262 Loctite.

So have reported this through Qld Police Link.

And have contacted Linkt Tolls to remove the particular rego from my account, as to not be charged any tolls by fraudulent users.
The *C-U's-Next-Tuesaday'S*.

The Linkt Tolls customer service representative could not Confirm or answer, that once i ordered and fitted a replacement plate and reactivated my account, that the Stolen plate - if used fraudulently - would/could add charges to my toll account.

Will get onto QLD D.O.T. tomorrow and report the theft with them too. Also confirm how future usage of the Stolen Plate may affect me.??

Has anyone been in a similar position, as to having to consider replacing a Personalized Rego Plate, with a different combo to avoid future complications?

Cheers
Jaso :)

#2 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 21 March 2022 - 06:55 AM

Sucks.
Prob about 10 years ago, my some had his personalised ( a word) plates pinched, front and rear).
The RMS in NSW advised they would not reproduce them for him as there would potentially then be 2 sets out and about, and no one would know which were which. He never asked if he could have the same word, but in a different colour, maybe that would have been possible?.
More anoying was their refusal to refund the remaining 8 months or so of the large premium fee he paid for the priviledge of having them...i.e. they kept 2/3rds of the fee, even though he didn't have them anymore. They advised that " he had paid to use/ display the plates for 12m", and the fact that they were stolen and undisplayabe, was of no consequence to them.Stiff.
Good luck with it.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 21 March 2022 - 07:42 AM

Saturday Night 19.03.22, some *scum's* stole the rear rego plate (UBR000) off my daily drive.

Car was parked on the street from about 430pm, then at about 8:05 pm, the UNDERBELLY turn up.

They tried to go for the front plate too, but must not have had a tool to fit the bolt heads.

So, i can only figure, potentially wanting both plates to use for some CRIM activity, maybe fuel theft drive offs?? Given the recent prices, Or whatever??

I swapped the Front plate to the Rear now, using some torx bit tamperproof screws, with some additional 262 Loctite.

And have contacted Linkt Tolls to remove the particular rego from my account, as to not be charged any tolls by fraudulent users.

The Linkt Tolls customer service representative could not Confirm or answer, that once i ordered and fitted a replacement plate and reactivated my account, that the Stolen plate - if used fraudulently - would/could add charges to my toll account.

Will get onto QLD D.O.T. tomorrow and report the theft with them too. Also confirm how future usage of the Stolen Plate may affect me.??

Has anyone been in a similar position, as to having to consider replacing a Personalized Rego Plate, with a different combo to avoid future complications?

Cheers

If you have reported the plate as stolen then I believe you will not be able to drive your vehicle as it now wears a stolen rego number.

Far king scumbags. Hang em up by the nads if they get caught.

Edited by S pack, 21 March 2022 - 07:44 AM.

#4 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:23 AM

In VIC that plate number would be cancelled. No reissue of plate. ☚ī¸
New plates with new number issued.

#5 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 21 March 2022 - 01:50 PM

Unsure about QLD but most HWP cars have ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) nowadays, as soon as it reads your number plate it would beep it's head off saying it's a stolen plate and you will have a mirror full of pretty flashing lights and a heap of questions to answer about 30 seconds later.

ANPR doesn't care what colour the number plate is, so getting the same number re-issued in a different colour will not happen.

After some length of time (it used to be seven years) a CANCELLED but un-returned plate can be re-issued, but that doesn't apply to stolen plates... Once something is stolen then the only hope you have is if it's "recovered" (even if destroyed), then you can get it taken off the police system and re-issued.

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:48 PM

Cheers

Sounds like some kiwi's would borrow that plate bro ! Or uber drivers.

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 04:04 PM

Unsure about QLD but most HWP cars have ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) nowadays, as soon as it reads your number plate it would beep it's head off saying it's a stolen plate and you will have a mirror full of pretty flashing lights and a heap of questions to answer about 30 seconds later.

ANPR doesn't care what colour the number plate is, so getting the same number re-issued in a different colour will not happen.

After some length of time (it used to be seven years) a CANCELLED but un-returned plate can be re-issued, but that doesn't apply to stolen plates... Once something is stolen then the only hope you have is if it's "recovered" (even if destroyed), then you can get it taken off the police system and re-issued.

Most QLD patrol cars are now fitted with ANPR tech.

#8 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Car:4/73 LJ XU-1. Adelaide build, Sunburst. 1963 EH Premier. Brisbane build, Portsea Blue.
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:28 AM

If you have reported the plate as stolen then I believe you will not be able to drive your vehicle as it now wears a stolen rego number.

Far king scumbags. Hang em up by the nads if they get caught.

Thanks, so update, the Plate has been advised as stolen via Police Link online. In a no reply email back to me, it is noted i have 14days to arrange replacement plate/s.

PPQ yesterday advised, fit the existing front plate to the rear position (done), also have advised I can have replacement of original combination made at $74.60, or redesign the original combination (change of colour) for $175. Which can be done online or over the phone.

Qld D.O.T have said to me i need to fill out a form, which is essentially the same form used for PPQ.
Qld D.O.T also say i have to surrender the plate I have, when the new plate/s is issued..... But hang on...I own the Personal Plate....so Im not surrendering the 1 remaining plate i have.

My plate combination - yes is pretty much a dig aimed at UBER, (my daily is a Subaru)
When UBER first started out,
I made a FAKE(taxi) UBER symbol and put it on the rear of a previous beat up 1991 Subaru I owned....driving about....and getting road raged by Authentic UBER drivers....that my car was a beat up shitter...

UBER cars were to be no older than 5 years at the time.
Hahaha, even a cabbie at the Servo one night refueling, asked me if I made alot$$ out of driving UBER. LOL.

Anyway, i was curious as to what 3 letter/number rego i could come up with, as i nick named my Subaru car the UBERu , havin this fake symbol..

So UBR000 was what i created.

PPQ shut me down when i put a deposit on an available combination of U83RO0....they said i cannot use that...as its too close to the word UBER ride share.

So possibly, the combo may be an attraction??

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:42 AM

All good news then Jaso.

I remember when I de-registered the WB 1 Tonner back in 2005 the law was you had to hand in at least 1 rego plate, so I returned 1 plate and kept one.

Same when I got new replacement plates for the LJ in 1996, I surrendered one of the two original plates and they handed me my new plates.

From memory the law is/was you must surrender at least one rego plate when you get a replacement set, though that would be hard to do if both plates were stolen.

#10 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:07 AM

Most QLD patrol cars are now fitted with ANPR tech.

Dave I believe only the traffic boys not the generals duty cars except for some general cars at isolated stations.

Edited by MFM, 22 March 2022 - 08:08 AM.

#11 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Name:Bruce
  • Car:FC Holden, VK Commodore, - Ex torana owner

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:38 AM

Subaru backwards is URABUS

6 letters

#12 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:41 AM

You wont trick anyone into believing your car is actually a bus though

Especially bus drivers, they really know their busses

#13 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:44 PM

Not a great experience JASO, My WA $180 Personal Plates WOO-98 were ripped off by the screws front and back 12 months ago. The screws were still intact with a little bit of alloy plate around the screws. Reported them stolen, and was allowed to re-order the plates, but I declined, and payed for $39 standard ones.

#14 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:40 PM

Subaru backwards is URABUS 6 letters

You wont trick anyone into believing your car is actually a bus though

Especially bus drivers, they really know their busses

Aaaaaannnndddd a 6 letter PPQ Combo is like $2500... so No, to all the above.

https://help.ppq.com...do-plates-cost-

#15 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:00 PM

~ a 6 letter PPQ Combo is like $2500...

Yeah, but that's a one-off fee and you own them in QLD ain't it?

In NSW it's $474 per year on top of your rego for custom plates, not including the $180+ ordering fees.

https://www.myplates.com.au/#/pricing

(It's $111 per year on top of your rego just for ordinary old personalised plates.)

#16 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:42 PM

Apologies jaso for trying to make light of it,
Crappy thing to happen and a pain in the arse
I'm sure you didn't need

#17 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:47 AM

Apologies jaso for trying to make light of it,
Crappy thing to happen and a pain in the arse
I'm sure you didn't need

All good mate.
Ha-ha yep didnt need the hassle really...anyway

#18 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:50 AM

Yeah, but that's a one-off fee and you own them in QLD ain't it?

In NSW it's $474 per year on top of your rego for custom plates, not including the $180+ ordering fees.

https://www.myplates.com.au/#/pricing

(It's $111 per year on top of your rego just for ordinary old personalised plates.)

Yeah,Qld - Pay to buy the plates once, and no Ongoing costs...
Until stolen(grrrrr) or damaged.

#19 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:54 AM

https://help.ppq.com...tolen-What-now-

#20 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 25 March 2022 - 07:32 AM