rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:17 PM

As some of you will know there is a lack of supply of Mickey Thompson drag radials.

Some of you will have seen the Zestino ST400 drag radials advertised. Very good price at $320 per tyre in a 255/60/15.

I figured I would be the Guinea Pig.

Sizing is interesting and I have three versions of a 255/60/15 drag radial on hand, a MT ET street (pre SS), an ET street R and the Zestino ST 400.

Measurements of each as fitted to an 8 inch Weld Draglite were:

Tread 225mm, Max width 260mm, Height 686mm (27 inches) for ET Street

Tread 230mm, Max width 275mm, Height 678mm (26 and 3/4 inches) for ET Street R

Tread 220mm, Max width 250mm, Height 671mm (26 and 1/2 inch) for the Zestino ST400

The driving experience varies a bit.

The king of hard street launches is the ET Street R. Testing was done with the yellow LJ which is a 383 holden, R154, 3.5LSD 9inch combo and you can lay into that tyre super hard and it just grips. At the other extreme for launches is the Zestino which skips and slips a bit if you hit them real hard from a dead start. Once off the line they are good to go.

General street driving is the reverse and at normal street inflation of 30 psi the Zestino is king. Lots of grip and better handling than the other two by a good margin.

A look at the construction suggests why.

ET Street sidewalls are 2 ply polyester, tread is 1 ply nylon, 2 ply steel and 2 ply polyester

ET Street R sidewalls are 2 ply nylon, tread is 3 ply nylon and 2 ply fibreglass 

Zestino ST400 sidewalls are 2 ply polyester, 2 ply steel and 1 ply nylon, tread is 2 ply polyester

I would happily put another set of the Zestinos on the car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users