FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 11 May 2022 - 11:01 PM

hi all.

so I'm doing rust repairs, no idea what i am doing but i'm having a crack. atm I'm trying to straighten out metal for good fit & finish. anyway took a heap of filler out of rear quarter, find 2 mountain ranges running parallel, vertically down the panel.

I flattened them out but I think some of the metal is stretched (in pic #2 the area around the small oval) it's high but trying to tap it down seems to make it come up more, and if i tap it with out support from behind it the whole area pops in (which freaks me out)but pops right back to shape with a slight push from behind. Is that what they call oil canning? :dontknow:

there's also (i think) a big low next to the high area(pic #2 the large circle). I haven't worked this low yet, but i have given it some light taps with rubber mallet and pushing with my hand, but it hasn't moved.

so I'm not sure what to do now. I'm thinking if i heat shrink the high/stretched area i will end up with a massive low area, which i will have to hammer & dolly the crown back in. or is shrinking that area going to pull out the low area? :dontknow:  Looking on the interwebs says i should shrink around the outside of where its oil canning. not keen on trying that.

or should i bring up the low area first and see how that looks. reason i haven't tried to bring that area up is if i am reading the panel wrong i don't want to stretch the metal and end up with a big mess.

I have been comparing it to the other side so i can hopefully copy that profile. which is close to profile in pic#3

Attached File  IMG_20220501_143640.jpg   90.27K   5 downloads pic#1 filler

Attached File  IMG_20220511_171338.jpg   112.02K   5 downloads pic#2 1/4 panel

Attached File  IMG_20220511_171533.jpg   84.4K   5 downloads pic#3 good profile above area

Attached File  IMG_20220511_171554.jpg   94.15K   5 downloads pic#4 profile over area

Attached File  IMG_20220511_171613.jpg   83.81K   5 downloads pic#5 bit lower down profile

Attached File  IMG_20220511_171631.jpg   111.51K   6 downloads pic#6 bottom of area profile

Thanks,

Brett

#2 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 12 May 2022 - 02:08 AM

Good on you for having a go,lots of people on here that can give you advise on that for sure.

#3 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 12 May 2022 - 10:30 AM

You need to shrink the metal.

Lots of youtube videos on how to do it.

You can use an oxy set or you can buy a shrinking disc to fit your grinder.

Metalman tools is one place you can buy a shrinking disc.

Have seen some really beat up panels return to great condition with good shrinking work.

Cheers

Rob

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 May 2022 - 02:15 PM

I would use a shrinking disc on the grinder on the small oval, then see how that affects the big low.

The small oval sounds like it has too much material. So yeah, you can practice hot shrinking on it.
The big oval is probably the opposite. Not sure how it got that way (maybe something above or below it was stretched at some point), but you can probably stretch that big area out with planishing when you get the other bit in better shape.

#5 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 06:38 PM

I did some heat shrinking on the small raised area. really did the trick.

I only have a heat gun, so i hit it with that till it started changing color, then used a block of wood and an aluminum hammer. had to work the area a few times, but very happy with result.

First i tried heat gun then wet rag, that wasn't doing much, so i tried above method. measured temp of metal around 90 so must make metal soft enough where you can shrink it back on its self.

hope this method can help someone else :D because other methods require specific tools.

cheers

#6 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 10:07 AM

Have a search for Astill Design on youtube.

Howard actually shows how lots of bits are done, with a no nonsense way of doing it.

Have watched other videos but they seem to spend 5 minutes showing the bloke setting up everything be fore doing the job.

Howards current project is well worth having a look at.

XC Falcon 4 door with a lot of neat little goodies.

He covers a lot of basic skills in the different videos.

Cheers

Rob

#7 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 03:37 PM

Yeah Rob I watch Howards channel. I like the boss xc, not a fan of fg interior, but it looks seemless.

also watch others wray schellen, tomasini, lazzette, bad chad etc. problem is they make it look too easy, and some explain better than others. just a matter of experience though.

And theres equipment too. be nice to have full workshop, instead of trying McGygver the situation. 

#8 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:06 PM

heres how it looks after shrinking. bit more work and should be fine

Attached File  IMG_20220513_154245.jpg   84.65K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20220513_154225.jpg   102.99K   6 downloads

#9 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 07:58 PM

for anyone whos thinking of following in my footsteps DONT USE A HEAT GUN. bad idea. actually made alot more work for myself. :banghead:

#10 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 31 May 2022 - 12:08 AM

Really has to be an oxy so the heat does not have time to travel. Have everything ready, dolly, planishing hammer, wet rag and a helper. Make sure the panel is clean behind the area you want to shrink. Shrink the bits that are full from the outside, you will generally need quite a few shrinks.

Helper on the oxy straight on with the oxy size 8 tip point the hammer at where you want them to heat, then get them to do a small circle, a little bit larger than a 5 cent piece, whilst glowing red get the dolly behind it and work the metal about a 10 to 20 cent piece size quickly toward the main glow of red metal with the hammer then tap the glow area to flatten out then quench.

More than likely it will not go as you have planned if you haven't had much experience and you will need many shrinks and will need to redress the panel several times. Sometimes better to start with an old panel whilst learning.

#11 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 09:19 PM

Really has to be an oxy so the heat does not have time to travel. Have everything ready, dolly, planishing hammer, wet rag and a helper. Make sure the panel is clean behind the area you want to shrink. Shrink the bits that are full from the outside, you will generally need quite a few shrinks.

Helper on the oxy straight on with the oxy size 8 tip point the hammer at where you want them to heat, then get them to do a small circle, a little bit larger than a 5 cent piece, whilst glowing red get the dolly behind it and work the metal about a 10 to 20 cent piece size quickly toward the main glow of red metal with the hammer then tap the glow area to flatten out then quench.

More than likely it will not go as you have planned if you haven't had much experience and you will need many shrinks and will need to redress the panel several times. Sometimes better to start with an old panel whilst learning.

Cheers bud. Great explanation, if I had an oxy I would have been sweet. Like you said the heat was traveling to far.

I ended up using my welder. The previous repair had put a couple of deep gouges, maybe from the edge of cross pein? I was having alot of trouble with those because they would keep coming up, so thought i would fill with welder.

Ended up chasing the stretched metal with spot welds. I painted area so not to get a good arc, most of them looked like bird shit welds (my specialty), few of them fell off when grinding.

Probably not what most would do, but turned out ok after working area.

And i did see on metalmeet forum a couple of people use a welder (not a mig though) for shrinking.

#12 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 10:38 AM

Metalman Tools sells a shrinking disc for your grinder.

Pretty cheap and have seen good results with those that use it.

Lot less drama than doing welds then cleaning them up.

Cheers

Rob

#13 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 08:17 PM

had a look at metalman tools a couple of weeks ago, out of stock on all but small ones.

I dont have $$$ atm, but mum might get one for my birthday.

I have no doubt it would be a lot easier than what ive been doing.

making use of what i got because of $$$ sitch.

got to laugh though, asked a mate who was a panel beater if he had shrink disk "whats that" he says. same when asked a couple of auto paint shops. One bloke goes try bunnings :fool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users