Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 02:23 PM

I could only find a couple more photos of City Road in Melbourne. Two interior shots, and one of the street out the back.

Attached File  Barrels of wash from warehouse.jpeg   215.14K   1 downloads

Attached File  BRG-213-73-5-7.jpeg   218.92K   1 downloads

Attached File  Kavanagh Street 4th sept 1936.jpeg   211.74K   1 downloads

Edited by Shiney005, Yesterday, 02:23 PM.

#52 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 02:29 PM

There is nothing more on King William Street when it comes to cars, but I found a shot of workers filling horse collars with hay, a leather pouch made by Hoden and Frost, and another of an ambulance that had been built.

Attached File  B-50937.jpeg   380.29K   0 downloads

Attached File  BRG-213-1-20-1-V.jpeg   478.38K   1 downloads

Attached File  Holden and Frost Ambulance.jpeg   321.15K   1 downloads

#53 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,841 posts
  • Name:Heath
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Mate. This thread absolutely rules.

#54 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted Yesterday, 05:24 PM

Wonderful history. Thanks

#55 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Today, 12:35 AM

Rightio. On with the show.

Beverley. Following info is from the HRC website.

As I mentioned in the original piece on Woodville, "In 1926, "Holden's Motor Body Builders" purchased the Whittingslow Engineering firm at Beverly which allowed them to produce their own drop forged, heat treated and machined components."

In 1926, Holden Motor Body Builders learned that General Motors Export Co. were to distribute their own cars in Australia, but use HMBB to supply all of their bodys. This lead to the Woodville expansion and the purchase of Beverley.

Interestingly, HMBB had earlier bought a property over the road in 1924 and they held it until 1948, but nothing is known about that site.

Before the war, there were no bodys built at Beverly, but there were 250 people employed there in the production of smaller metal pieces including hinges and door locks.

Attached File  Photo taken approx 1929.png   628.38K   0 downloads

From 1927 until 1931, the plant was plagued by strikes from all kinds of unions, and with the addition of the depression, it was closed down for three years.

On the 8th november 1934, there was a notice that General Motors Acceptance Corporation had moved into the premises.

A GMH booklet published in 1936 states that the Beverley plant was the Sales and Service branch for S.A. and that they assembled cars and trucks there. The following year, it was listed in the GMH inventory as a subsidiary body plant occupying 5 and 3/4 acres. 

In November 1938, all staff had gone to work at Birkenhead and the plant was shut down once again.

In September 1940, tenders were called to rebuild the toilet blocks there, and by the following April, GMH were assembling 2 and 4 pounder artillery guns and 20mm anti aircraft guns for the war effort.

November 1942 saw the Federal Government purchase the site, but with GMH still leasing it and continuing to manufacture arms there. The name was changed to General Motors Holden Ordinance Division. 

Early 1944, and Woodville, Birkenhead and Beverley were all besieged by strike action over members wanting to work less hours.  Remember that this was happening at the same time as the D Day landings and the Aussie troops were being slaughtered by the Japanese in New Guinea, all the while waiting for guns and ammo to turn up from the motherland. There is a good book that I have read on the wharfies taking part in the same tactics as well. It is called "Australia's Secret War" and I think it should be read by every student in school to show how disgraceful Australians can be.

Anyway..................with strikes continuing on until the end of 1945 the plant was closed for good around the same time.

These photos are all from the war years.

Attached File  29 Sept 1941.jpeg   329.36K   0 downloads

Attached File  A.75 Anti Aircraft guns outside Beverley Plant workshop.jpeg   277.53K   0 downloads

Attached File  G.6 gun production at Beverley Plant.jpeg   250.11K   0 downloads

Attached File  Ordnance division 1943 b.jpeg   220.14K   0 downloads

Attached File  Smash the Japs.jpeg   306.24K   0 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot 2022-07-01 213414.png   1.13MB   0 downloads

Edited by Shiney005, Today, 12:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users