Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Name:Derek
  • Car:Lh

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:26 PM

Hi guys 

Bout to do the exhaust on lh running a 186 looking at 2 1/4 system what type or brand of muffler would  I use. 
 Thanks Derek 

#2 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Name:Bruce
  • Car:FC Holden, VK Commodore, - Ex torana owner

Posted 13 August 2022 - 04:27 PM

Hiya Derek
Loads of info on muffler types out there. Straight through glass packs are least restrictive but loud, chambered type are quietest but also most restrictive.
The super turbo tri-flow ones are in between. I’ve been through this myself recently, went from a red back glass pack to a super turbo.
Less droney, more stealthy, suits me better these days. My investigatings found that there’s a heap of guys in the states racing high powered v8s
using these and they’ll flow enough for those guys ok. Didn’t notice the car going any slower for me, either. Doesn’t sound stock when I give it some.
Resonators make a difference too. The old hotdog one I had doesn’t make a scrap of difference to the sound when shoved back on the tailpipe - maybe it is a crappy cheap one. The 4” round square ended muffler style one on there now does, though.

Depends if you want it rowdy, or quiet(ish)
Bruce

#3 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 14 August 2022 - 03:44 PM

The hotdogs need to be up front as close as possible to the engine to make a difference. Took 9db out of my LX sedan when fitted one to each side of the twin system.

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:29 PM

A single glass pack would generally be the go if you want it to sound a bit sporty and it's a very mild motor.

If the motor has a lot of cam and compression, you may want something that'll work a bit harder to quieten it.

If has resonation making a yucky noise at lowish rpm, a resonator in the front half of the exhaust will help as Rexy has said above.

Some of the best sounding cars that have no business sounding as good as they do, just have simple mild steel mega cheap Super Cat mufflers. I assume you can still buy them? Although the times that I've been to Super Cat recently I've only bought Magnaflow products in stainless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users