DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:10 PM

This thread is definitely worthy of becoming a Sticky...

Awesome work Sammy, love it.

Tim

#27 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

glad you like it Tim ... would you like it even more if i put up the info on the rear discs aswell now ?? :)

bit of a quick run down on the last 5 months of my life since my last post ...

as most of you probably saw on the news, Hamilton North got hammered on June 8th with the storms and as un-believable as it is we actually got well over 1 mtr high of water in the area, which for me meant the entire shed and all the cars in the shed/yard ... anyways, long story short, i lost a VR Commodore (written off) and got paid out $4700 for it, and being that i couldn't live in the house at Hamilton North i really didn't have anywhere to store the Torana so i decided to inject the funds into getting it back on the road!

but more on that in another thread ...

to get the rear brakes on there it was simply a matter of getting commodore axles shortened and re-splined to suit the torana diff, the bearings on the axles are the same so they just slotted straight in!!

the backing plates were swapped from left to right to get the brake caliper on the front of the diff as on the rear means they will almost definately hit the shocks at some stage in their life. so when you swap the backing plates you need to remove the hand brake mechanisms and leave them on their original sides so the hand brake still pulls forwards. the only other thing is you need to trim the dust guard slightly where the caliper goes so everything fits neatly.

i then slightly modified the hand brake mounting brackets to mount onto the lower caliper bolt and then drilled a second hole in the backing plate for the other attachment. from there the original handbrake cable from a WAGON fits fine!
Posted Image

Posted Image

for the other end of the cables i made some little floor mounting brackets and just located them in an earea near the trans tunnel just behind the front seats which meant the cable would have flex at the rear for suspension travel and still had adjustment at the front of the cable.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

for the brake lines i just used the commodore ones and got new steel brake lines and made them up with commodore nuts on one end and torana on the other, so all the original stuff could bolt back in if even needed.
Posted Image

and this is the finished product (driver side) and for those that are wondering, the answer is NO i am not leaving the caliper that colour, its just how it came off the donor car!
Posted Image

as you can see from this pic there is plenty of room for caliper clearance.
Posted Image

i have commodore 15x6 chaser rims on it for rego and engineering but i plan to put some commodore mags on in the future. They sit in slightly compared to the hotwires i used to have which is good as it means more guard clearance and the track is still ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users