tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

Think you know your Bathurst trivia? Test your knowledge with these brain-teasers

1. In 1977 Ford had their finest moment at Bathurst when Allan Moffat and Colin Bond crossed the line side by side for a 1-2 finish but who were their respective co drivers?

2. What is the highest place that an all female crew has finished at Bathurst and who were the drivers?

3. Jim Richards has won the Bathurst 1000 seven times. How many different makes of car has he used to win?

4. When the Chase was added to the circuit it increased the length of the track and caused the number of laps to be reduced. How many laps was the race run over before the track was modified?

5. Two drivers have won the race in both a Ford and a Holden. Who are they and which years did they win?

6. Which driver has had the most podium finishes without ever winning the race?

7. Peter Brock made his debut in the Great Race in 1969. Two other rookies that year went on to win subsequent races. Who were they?

8. Who won the race by the biggest margin? When was it and what was the margin?

9. Dick Johnson has won the race three times but what is unusual about his three victories?

10. Jim Richards is the oldest driver to win the race but who was the oldest combination?

11. In 2003, Rick Kelly became the youngest ever winner of the race, taking the record from Craig Lowndes but who was the youngest winner prior to Lowndes?

12. Peter Brock has won the race 9 times but can you name all his co drivers?

13. Who won the very first Bathurst race in 1963 and what car were they driving?

14. Since the F1 World Championship was instigated in 1950, 13 Australians have taken part in a Grand Prix. Of those 13, three have NOT driven at Bathurst. Name the three

15. In 1976, Bob Morris won the race in the Ron Hodgson Torana but who was his co driver who had to nurse the car home in the final laps after it developed differential trouble?

16. Russell Ingall was the co driver for Larry Perkins when he won in 1995 and 1997 but who was Larrys co driver in 1993?

17. In 1983 and 1987 Peter Brock won the race after his own car failed and he took over the team car. Who were the two drivers who stood down and missed the wins?

18. Nowadays a driver can only complete a maximum of 106 laps but which driver won the race but only completed 1 lap?

19. The last time a Ford won was back in 1998 when Jason Bright and Stephen Richards won in the Pirtek Falcon but when was the last Falcon victory prior to that?

20. Which driver has had the most starts at Bathurst?

21. In 2001, Marcos Ambrose became only the second rookie to gain Pole position at Bathurst. Who was the first?

22. Who has had the most starts at Bathurst without ever winning the race?

23. Since 1963 the race has had 12 different names but what was the race called in 1967?

24. In what year did the race go metric and change from a 500 mile race to a 1000 kilometre one?

25. In what year did Holden gain their first victory at Bathurst, who were the drivers and what model Holden was used?

26. Allan Moffat won at Bathurst four times. In his first two victories he drove solo as was allowed in a 500 mile race but who was his co driver in his third victory?

27. Who was the last English born driver to win Bathurst?

28. Both Rick and Todd Kelly have won the race in recent years but who are the only brothers to have won a Bathurst enduro together?

29. Who is the only driver to have won Bathurst and the Australian Grand Prix?

I'll post the answers to help those that dont know soon.

#2 _curlys torana_

_curlys torana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

ill give it ago and try answer what i can
#1 i think it was the geogan brothers i think i spelt that wrong but oh well
#2 i think girls finished in 97 3rd
#5 i think stephan richards has won in a ford and holden
#7 i think there was allan moffat and colin bond
#8 brocky and it was by 6 laps i think in 1977 or 76
#9 dick johnson one was it got rained out and the race was finished behid a pasecar not sure bout the other 2
#17 it was his brother and colin bonds car he took over
#19 im guessing this i think it was 1996
#20 the most starts is held by jim richards
#21 i think the other rookie was peter brock
#24 i think it was 1979
#25 it was in 1969 i think with the ht monaro
#26 i think it was colin bond
#27 i think it was the guy who won in a jaguar
#28 i think the brothers are the brock brothers
there we go i tried haha lets see how i go

#3 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

Not bad Curly, you got a few right.

Any other takers before I give the answers?

#4 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

These are the ones I know off the top of my head?

4. 161
8. Brock 1979 6 laps.
12. 1972 - Nil, 1975 - Brian Sampson. 1979 to 1981 Jim Richards.
15. Peter Fitzpatrick.
17. Phil "Split Pin" Brock and John "The Slug" Harvey.
20. Glenn Seton.
26. Jacki Icyx in 1977.
27. Tom Walkinshaw or Win Percy.

James

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

Think you know your Bathurst trivia? Test your knowledge with these brain-teasers

1. In 1977 Ford had their finest moment at Bathurst when Allan Moffat and Colin Bond crossed the line side by side for a 1-2 finish but who were their respective co drivers? JACKI ICKX AND ALLAN HAMILTON

2. What is the highest place that an all female crew has finished at Bathurst and who were the drivers? CASTROL COUGERS IN 97 I THINK ABOUT 11TH?

3. Jim Richards has won the Bathurst 1000 seven times. How many different makes of car has he used to win? HOLDEN , NISSAN AND VOLVO

4. When the Chase was added to the circuit it increased the length of the track and caused the number of laps to be reduced. How many laps was the race run over before the track was modified? 163

5. Two drivers have won the race in both a Ford and a Holden. Who are they and which years did they win? STEVE RICHARDS IN 98 AND 99

6. Which driver has had the most podium finishes without ever winning the race? GLENN SETON

7. Peter Brock made his debut in the Great Race in 1969. Two other rookies that year went on to win subsequent races. Who were they? ALLAN MOFFAT

8. Who won the race by the biggest margin? When was it and what was the margin? PETER BROCK IN 1979 A9X TORANA BY 6 LAPS

9. Dick Johnson has won the race three times but what is unusual about his three victories? NEVER CROSSED THE LINE IN THE CAR

10. Jim Richards is the oldest driver to win the race but who was the oldest combination?

11. In 2003, Rick Kelly became the youngest ever winner of the race, taking the record from Craig Lowndes but who was the youngest winner prior to Lowndes?

12. Peter Brock has won the race 9 times but can you name all his co drivers? BRIAN SAMPSON, JIM RICHARDS, LARRY PERKINS, JOHN HARVEY, PETER MCLEOD AND DAVID PARSONS

13. Who won the very first Bathurst race in 1963 and what car were they driving? HARRY FIRTH?

14. Since the F1 World Championship was instigated in 1950, 13 Australians have taken part in a Grand Prix. Of those 13, three have NOT driven at Bathurst. Name the three

15. In 1976, Bob Morris won the race in the Ron Hodgson Torana but who was his co driver who had to nurse the car home in the final laps after it developed differential trouble? JOHN FITZPATRIC

16. Russell Ingall was the co driver for Larry Perkins when he won in 1995 and 1997 but who was Larrys co driver in 1993? GREG HANSFORD

17. In 1983 and 1987 Peter Brock won the race after his own car failed and he took over the team car. Who were the two drivers who stood down and missed the wins? PHIL BROCK IN 83, ...

18. Nowadays a driver can only complete a maximum of 106 laps but which driver won the race but only completed 1 lap? MULHULAND?

19. The last time a Ford won was back in 1998 when Jason Bright and Stephen Richards won in the Pirtek Falcon but when was the last Falcon victory prior to that? 1994 DICK JOHNSON AND JOHN BOWE

20. Which driver has had the most starts at Bathurst? NOW? JIM RICHARDS? PETER BROCK

21. In 2001, Marcos Ambrose became only the second rookie to gain Pole position at Bathurst. Who was the first?

22. Who has had the most starts at Bathurst without ever winning the race? GLENN SETON

23. Since 1963 the race has had 12 different names but what was the race called in 1967? GALLAHER 500

24. In what year did the race go metric and change from a 500 mile race to a 1000 kilometre one? 1973

25. In what year did Holden gain their first victory at Bathurst, who were the drivers and what model Holden was used? 1968 IN A MONARO

26. Allan Moffat won at Bathurst four times. In his first two victories he drove solo as was allowed in a 500 mile race but who was his co driver in his third victory? FRED GIBSON

27. Who was the last English born driver to win Bathurst? JOHN FITZPATRIC

28. Both Rick and Todd Kelly have won the race in recent years but who are the only brothers to have won a Bathurst enduro together?

29. Who is the only driver to have won Bathurst and the Australian Grand Prix? JOHNNY GOSS

I'll post the answers to help those that dont know soon.

MY GUESSES

#6 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:34 PM

I saw this quiz too ... some toughies in there... specially for someone my age (20)

#7 _curlys torana_

_curlys torana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

yea im only 16 it was a hard one hey tinkers when u goin to post the answers

#8 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:22 PM

As expected, REDA9X is on the money - he's done better that I would have. A few guesses to add to his though -

Qu10 - Dicky Johnson and Bowe??

Qu 11 - Skaife (with Richo) in Godzilla back in 91??

Qu 14 - Mark Webber, ummm, David Brabham??? and dunno??

Qu 15 - wasn't it a gearbox input shaft bearing problem though?

Qu 17 - Harvey in 87?

Qu 21 - Jason Bargwanna?

Qu 27 - Win Percy in a flying pig?? (Walkinshaw Commy)

#9 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

I'll put the answers up tonight since I cant find where I saved them on the work computer :rolleyes:

I did notice when I was checking Red's answer that a couple are not correct :P

#10 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

Answers

1. Jacky Ickx (Moffat) and Alan Hamilton(Bond)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. 11th. 1998 Melinda Price and Kerryn Brewer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. 3 Holden, Nissan, Volvo

4. 163 laps

5. Steven Richards (1998 Ford, 1999 Holden), Tony Longhurst (1988 Ford, 2001 Holden)

6. Brad Jones 6 3x 2nd., 3x 3rd.

7. Allan Moffat, John Goss

8. Peter Brock and Jim Richards 1979 6 laps

9. He has never seen the chequered flag. In 1981 the race was stopped after the accident on top of the mountain while in 1988 and 1994 co driver John Bowe was driving at the end of the race.

10. Allan Grice(48) and Win Percy(47) in 1990

11. Midge Bosworth(24) in 1965

12. Brian Sampson (1975), Jim Richards (1978,79,80), Larry Perkins (1982,83,84), John Harvey (1983), David Parsons (1987), Peter McLeod (1987)

13. Harry Firth and Bob Jane Ford Cortina

14. Tony Gaze, Paul England, Mark Webber

15. John Fitzpatrick

16. Gregg Hansford

17. Phil Brock (1983), Jon Crooke (1987)

18. Barry Mulholland (1968)

19. 1994 John Bowe and Dick Johnson

20. Jim Richards 34

21. Klaus Ludwig 1987

22. Bruce Stewart 27

23. Gallaher 500

24. In 1973

25. 1968 Bruce McPhee and Barry Mulholland in a Monaro GTS327

26. Ian Geoghegan 1973

27. Russell Ingall who was born in London in 1964

28. Geoffrey and David Brabham who took a BMW to victory in the 1997 AMP 1000 for Super Touring Cars

29. John Goss who won Bathurst in 1974 and 1985 and the AGP in 1976

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

Looks like I did ok then lol. I actually wrote Brad Jones as the most podium finishes without aa win and then my computer crashed so I had to come back and forgot compltely. Just read today that Gossy was the 3rd rookie in 1969 in a dedication to Brock. Excellent articles in the latest magazine to do a dedication, motorsport I think t is with Brock on the cover in the XU1 in black and white.

#12 _curlys torana_

_curlys torana_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:32 PM

well i must say that was a bit of fun i think i got like 3 out of the lot haha

#13 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

gonna have to change question 5 now........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users