• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

Ok hubby and i have hit our limit. Hands in air sayin Puck knows. :fool:

LC 1971 1600 ohc

We replaced servo (aka booster) and master cylinder, the original booster was leakin air noteably from the back where rubber sleeve is. This original booster also had about 2 cups of break fluid inside of it, which hubby pored all over my feet.

the original master cylinder hubby reckons one of the valves was stuck. So both (second hand) r on, brakes bled and nothing at all. It was better B4, you could at least pump the brake a couple of times and it lightly grabbed. Scarey stuff.

so one question i have is does the booster need to charge itself???

oh also when i put foot on brake when car was cold revs dropped. once car was warmed up revs lifted. this car has not been tuned yet.

NEXT

rear wiring

we have both indicators on side panels working. rear indicator drivers side working only. the connector in the middle of wiring loom to passenger side rear indicator was flatish, so i removed wire to correct the way it was sittin, well pickle me grandmother the damn connector broke. dont ya just luv this shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hubby is gunna spot weld it so it should be fine :rolleyes: but this indicator wasnt working before, but the side panel one was.

brake lights and tail lights. if the tail lights r on and u p ut ya foot on brake then the tail lights go off, the globes r double filament. i just went to check this was still right and now theres no tail lights, brake lights at all. :furious:

we have gone over wiring with diagram in book and all is as it should be. fuses r ok.
we did at one stage have tail lights and brakes as i said before, but it seems this is a self destructing gremlin with no respect.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by kaz from adelaide, 30 October 2006 - 05:34 PM.

#2 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

For the wiring, check you are getting a good earth, both between globe fitting - lens case, and lens case - body.
The brakes sounds like you still have a leaky booster and still not bled properly.

#3 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

fluid is gettin to rear piston on brakes but very little movement in piston at all.

brake lines and pistons on rear are new.

Edited by kaz from adelaide, 30 October 2006 - 07:20 PM.

#4 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

took me ages to get decent earth in my rear tail lights, even tho the lights were pushed in. take them in and out a few times :P

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

^ tail light earth problem (do weird stuff when earth is bad). Try steel wool first up, but might need some gentle massaging all contact points with a bit of sandpaper. You can find the exact point of the bad earth by using a test light into the wire befor and after the bulb to find out where it is.

Brakes, NFI, you need Datto.

#6 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:05 PM

How are the fronts? & are they disc or drum?

#7 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

with the tali lights make sure they are 12 volt not 24 volt bulbs. i see that all the time.

#8 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

i will clean up globes and socket, but they r pretty clean but i also know she is Rubys (LX) older sister, so she knows how 2 b a bitch as she taught her sis everything she knows. Help theres 2 of them conspiring against me now :fool: :fool:

visions of the movie 'christine' are flashing infront of my eyes as i type.

one good thing about it tho, my legs r gettin a workout from pumpin that damn break peddle.

I've got the bike back on the road, took it 2 work sund, luverly cruise there and back. Mt barker to hahndorf. Total tripper bike to ride, nice response and sound for a 350.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

have been 2 c mechanic, ((((craig))). told us about using air gun on low psi to bleed brakes, DOH i was starting to get used to it. hopefully info ant got will help.

disk front, not working.

just adjusting the clearance btween brake pedal bit of booster to the female bit in the mastercylinder.

Edited by kaz from adelaide, 30 October 2006 - 09:23 PM.

#10 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

All four corners have to be bled (fronts first) with the engine off & rears properly adjusted. Is that all done?

edit: I have the factory shop manual I can scan & send any procedures you want.

Edited by DocDamage, 30 October 2006 - 09:53 PM.

#11 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

have called it a day on elsie, hopefully more progress 2 morra after work. ta for quick replies :clap:

#12 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:34 PM

Your command of language astounds me Kaz! So graphic! I read the heading and knew there was a BIG problem :tease:
Good luck!

Edited by rodomo, 30 October 2006 - 10:34 PM.

#13 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

That'll teach you for playin with a 4cyl car.

If your still stuck Friday morning I'll come around & have a look, just don't tell anyone i worked on a 4 potter !!!

I forgot to tell Ant to check that the brake calipers are on the correct sides ? Are the bleed screws up top of the calipers at the highest point ?

#14 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:01 AM

ta craig.

its not the 4cyl thats the prob, its whats attached to it :fool: meaning me and ant. lol

#15 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

:rockon: :clap: :rockon: :clap:

brakes r now working. calipers were on wrong, ta craig for the heads up :spoton:

now we r down to getting rear indicators happening which hopefully will b in the next hour :rolleyes: then off to radiator guy 2morra for engine flush, then hopefully a tune.

luckily i am off work now till frid so i have plenty of time to detail her ready for sat.

thanks again all who helped, i think we got to THAT point yesterday where we should have stopped an hour earlier, u know how it is.

XXXKAZXXX

#16 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:36 PM

Kaz, re the rear lights, stop, tail and indicator all share a common earth wire, so if it's a bad earth, then one may barely work, but as soon as another one comes on, things go silly. Check that you've got a decent earth on both sides (the factory earth is a black wire attached with a second nut onto one of the tail light assembly mounting studs - if the tail light assembly isn't done up tight, then the earht may not be good enough. Also check that you've got single filament globes in the indicators, and doubles in the stop/tail lights, and that they're the right way around (they should only go in one way with the high pin on the globe corresponding to the high slot on the holder), but it's possible to get them in backwards. Also, if you put a single filament globe into a dual socket such as the stop/tail, the contact on the single filament globe will short the stop and tail wiring.

Lucky last. The fuse for the tail lights is labelled stop/tail/dome/horn from memory. If your rear lights aren't working, check if your horn and interior light works - if not, then the fuse will most probably be blown.

If all else fails, use hand signals :tease: to get the car to Morphetville on the weekend, and we'll attack it from there :spoton:

#17 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

Glad to hear the brakes were a simple fix. What about the funny idle, does it still seem to have a vac leak.

#18 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

at the moment all is good. we soldered the broken connector, sandpapered them all incl brake globe sockets, popped in Rubys newish flasher unit (sorry Ruby) reconnected everything and crossed my fingers, toes and eyes Everything works, except when tail lights are on and u hit the brake one tail light goes off as brake light comes on. Thats ok I only wanna drive her in the daytime.

HEY THIS MEANS RUBY IS OFFICIALLY OFF THE ROAD :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
considering i have donated her flasher unit to Elsie. She also has !/2 a metal ring floating in the steering colum that is shorting out the horn, giving a nice little 'hi i'm here' toot everytime i turn left. But a worse side to this ring thing is it is also messing with the ignition, so after being caught once I aint gunna push it any further. I feel sad when I look at her now (Ruby that is) as she is real dirty from the major dirt car park at work. But i know that will b short lived as she is about to be hit by a whirlwind. :clap:

back to Elsie. I will spend 2morra tidying her up, then thurs get motor flushed. Hopefully somewhere inbetween, during or after i need her little cylinders tweaked. I also gotta get hold of Wayne 2 morro with details for hisoric, he has allready done the visual on her. Then I gotta cruise up to Murray Bridge to do rego, hopefully it will b a nice day for a cruise up there on the bike.

#19 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:45 PM

but it's possible to get them in backwards.

going on my past endeavours i will wear that one.

QUOTE*If all else fails, use hand signals :tease: to get the car to Morphetville on the weekend, and we'll attack it from there :spoton:

nice way to make friends, u just wait till i tell her u called her an IT ! ! ! ! !
let alone u wanna attack her OMG.

u must still b feelin sick Dave LOL

:rockon:

#20 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:35 AM

Kaz, for your historic rego, you will need Wayne to give you the "MR334" certificate, then go to Motor reg to get it registered on historic, then go back to Wayne to get a log book filled out for the car - you can't drive the car until you have the log book all filled out and stamped with the Club seal for the car. I'm not sure if Wayne has any log books though. I've got one or two left, and Alf may have one too. Let me know if you have problems getting rego sorted out in time.

Re the tail light going dim - it's the earth for that tail light and brake light globe that is causing the problem. On her. Not it :rolleyes:

#21 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

ta dave, c u sat.

xxkazxx

#22 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE*If all else fails, use hand signals :tease:

You only need one finger for that.

#23 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

she has moved from pergola to carport. I am goin 2 get her reg 2 morra, then if i survive the trip to Daves to get the log book she'll be out for her first cruise asap.
she's very clean, all i gotta do is clean inside windows, cut and polish body OH and not to forget ! ! blacken the tyres. :clap:

some piccys
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

:clap: :rockon: :clap: :rockon: :clap:

#24 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:55 PM