Doors wont shut fully

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _70LC_

_70LC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:43 AM

Hey everyone, my 2 door lc torana is almost ready for the road, only problem is that my doors dont shut completely.
What i mean is they click into the locks, but doors are not flush with body.

I've got it down to a few things.
- hinges
- new door trims
- maybe the seals

Maybe its a mixture, i dont know, but if anyone knows how i can fix this problem that be a great help.

cheers

#2 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:53 AM

Have they ever shut properly? Have you changed anything since?

Its most likely to be a combination of your seals, and your door latch/strike being misaligned or too far in . You can easily adjust them with a large phillips-head screw driver.

#3 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

Does your leg or foot hurt?

#4 _70LC_

_70LC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:20 PM

yeah they did shut properly previously, that was some time ago though before i did a lot of work on the car. The car was on stands for a while, and the seals are new. Have used that magic stuff on it, didnt really help me.

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

Door strike adjustment. Either too far in, or not in far enough. Use the proper star shaped adapter for them, otherwise your gonna be up for new door strikes.

Have a play.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 17 November 2006 - 01:10 PM.

#6 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

i have had to turf my new door trims as they have been made too thick.ie: too much fancy stuff wrapping around the back adding to the thickness in the door jam area.

#7 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

arrimar..that doesnt sound good!!,

how did that happen?, did you make them or someone else, i have never actualy heard of door trims causing this problem but it make sense if they are to thick

#8 _70LC_

_70LC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:00 PM

hmmm....what exactly is the "door strike adjustment" ? are you talking about the locks and how you can adjust them??
I have the locks as close to the seats as possible to get max closure.

And also how does one put pictures on the web-site?

cheers

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

Arrimar, no need to panic yet. Things will settle down with time once they get compressed into place. I'd actually expect the new seals to be more the culprit than the new door cards.

Try some silicone spray to assist the door seals bedding in.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 17 November 2006 - 02:04 PM.

#10 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

If it is the new door cards removing them should relieve the issue. If the problem still persists then the door cards are not yoru issue, or you need to see a doctor.. ;)

Cheers

#11 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

hmmm....what exactly is the "door strike adjustment" ?

the door strike bit is the bit fixed on the car that the door latch closes onto when the door is closed. above wheel arches in rear, about mid pillar on front.
u can adjust how much the door is pulled in by loosening this metal lug/spike/prongy thingy and adjusting where it sits then re tighten, to either pull the door further in or if door goes too far in then adjust it so it is further out .

#12 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

i have had to turf my new door trims as they have been made too thick.ie: too much fancy stuff wrapping around the back adding to the thickness in the door jam area.

I have seen this problem before

#13 _TravsUC_

_TravsUC_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hey dude yea my drivers door does the same im pretty sure mine is the hinges being worn so im getting new ones but its hard to say weithout seeing how they are not flush :spoton:

#14 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

oldn64, went to the doctors and he reckons its definatly the door cards.phew.

#15 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:58 AM

Sounds like new door cards are on the cards LOL....

Cheers

#16 _70LC_

_70LC_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

well this sux! ive adjusted the door striker to have the doors as far possible and they still dont shut completely. Trims aren't affected it, so it only leaves the seals...maybe the hinges. But i dont see how the hinges could really fix this.
Just how long do seals take to break in??

#17 _TREV TORRI_

_TREV TORRI_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:21 PM

Old thread, but curious as im having simalar issues, new rubbers are stopping door from closing flush. Im hoping that keeping the doors closed for a while, will squish the rubbers into shape, then adjust the striker plate at a later date to pull the door in a little at a time. Any thoughts guys ?

#18 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,849 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:34 PM

It must be about 6?? years ago now, but Rares did a batch of seals that just didnt work. ( doors would never close properly ) .

I had a set , they were turfed, and a new set purchased around 4 years ago, that were fine.

If you have had the seals for years? in the packet, or if they were given to you? , them maybe they are the  "old" ( read No Good ) type?

#19 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:02 PM

I've just bought some seals about 3 months ago and they were fine.

#20 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:53 PM

The seals that I bought a few years back have never been good. They seem to be half an inch to big so they have never fit properly. Topping it off was the rubber thickness never allowed the doors to shut the Way they used too.
New runners and plugs and on my to do list.....again 🤦🏽‍♂️

#21 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 April 2020 - 06:32 PM

Its the door cards on mine, they are too thick and you have to slam the drivers door for it to close. Very un Holden like slamming doors!!!

#22 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 August 2022 - 04:45 PM

Hi all. Just to add to this I just picked up the hatch from the trimmer today and with new door cards, pinchweld etc the drivers door won't shut fully. Passenger does but with a lot of persuasion. The doors were hard to shut beforehand with new rubbers. The area seems to be the lower front corner of the door where card meets pinchweld. Took it to the panel shop and they think they can gently tap in that edge where the pinchweld fits to hopefully relieve it. Fingers crossed.  One step forward two steps back.  Cheers Ron 

#23 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:23 AM

Update on my issue for anyone interested.  Finally got around to having a look at the problem (trying to avoid it to be honest) and found that the doors close when I removed the scuff plates. I'm at a bit of a loss as these fix to the predrilled holes in the lower panel so it's not as if they have moved from original location.  I suspect it's a combination of new trims etc as well, but now to work out how to rectify. And I had these plates sandblasted and painted not long ago. Cheers Ron

#24 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 06 September 2022 - 12:07 PM

Carpet or other stuff too thick and lifting up the scuff plates?

#25 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:11 PM

Check the bottom of the door edge to see where they're catching, I've seen taller head screws cause an issue on scuff plates before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users